ROM Hack [Release] Custom Theme Cwavs

xextil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
As its name suggests (?), the function of this simple program is to create a cwav data file from one or several sounds in .cwav/.bcwav format and then import it to a custom theme with YATA (Thanks to Reisyukaku for his great tool!)

Depending on theme mode, each file can contain up to 6 different sounds and 8 in the case of Flipbooks modes. For now, to convert wav files to cwav/bcwav is necessary a tool from Nintendo SDK that can be found on net... this is not a conversion tool, sorry :wink:

The program is still in beta, it's possible that some sounds files aren't compatible/not work or emunand crash after apply a theme, so I recommend have an emunand backup ready just in case, though with extdata theme folder (EUR "000002ce", USA "000002cd", JPN "000002cc") is enough.

NIIZZsb.png

Custom Theme with Cwavs:

Forgive my rudimentary english, I hope this be useful to someone :lol:

Source code: https://github.com/Xextil/CustomCwavs

Note: Origin WAV file format before convert to bcwav/cwav should be (Otherwise can be not work) :

PCM unsigned 8-bit
Sampling rate: 8000 hz
Audio channels: mono

Changelog

- v0.4 Fixed errors
- v0.3 Added open cwav data file exported from a theme and extract cwavs/convert to Wav option.
- v0.2 Fixed errors
- v0.1 Initial version

Attachments

• CustomCwavs_v04.rar
    399.9 KB · Views: 3,255

xextil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Updated to 0.2 to fix some errors.

And after some tests, I realize that stereo sounds or sounds with sample rate larger than 16000 Hz could case another sounds not work, so before convert the wav to bcwav, it should be adjusted.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
I've tried using 3DS .Cwav Dumper . But it fails with the dumped CWAV Bin from an existing theme that already uses them. It outputs BCWAV files like it should but the resulting WAV files I get from 3DS Explorer are silent files with no sound and that's the only program I know of that can convert BCWAV to WAV files.

I get errors in your program when I attempt to import the bcwav files it exported. I can't really use this for anything because I have no way of converting WAVs into CWAVs and my attempts to get existing CWAVs have failed. :(

xextil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've tried using 3DS .Cwav Dumper . But it fails with the dumped CWAV Bin from an existing theme that already uses them. It outputs BCWAV files like it should but the resulting WAV files I get from 3DS Explorer are silent files with no sound and that's the only program I know of that can convert BCWAV to WAV files.

I get errors in your program when I attempt to import the bcwav files it exported. I can't really use this for anything because I have no way of converting WAVs into CWAVs and my attempts to get existing CWAVs have failed. :(

Are you using version 0.2? I test a lot of bcwavs and all of them works well.

To convert bcwav to wav I use the test.exe file that are inside the .rar. With command prompt on the same folder, type "test -o example.wav example.bcwav". If you can play the wav and the program still give you an error, please send me the bcwav file and I take a look at it.

xextil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Updated to 0.3. Added open cwav data file exported from a theme and extract cwavs/convert to Wav option.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Ok did manage to make my own wav files and converted them to cwav. I use your program to build the CWAVs.bin file matching the screen types used by the them I put them in. But the end result is a partially bricked home menu. The moment I do something that makes it attempt to play a sound, the 3DS freezes. I can get out of this by hitting the home menu theme options on the top left corner of the bottom screen as soon as the home menu boots up. It will freeze if I do anything else.

What rate should the wav files be at I have yet to extract bcwavs from an existing theme to get a read on what sampling rate/frequency I should be using.

EDIT: Ok managed to get your updated program. For whatever reason you changed the name of the exe from the first release or what ever version I had at first and was accidentally running the wrong one. I see the options to extract from cwavs.bin file now.

However it appears it's an issue with what I'm using to convert my wav files to cwav.

Do you know of any tool to convert a wav to bcwav/cwav? The current one "BannerTool" which I use to make cwavs for banners works fine for banner sound effects, but it appears to not work with your program. I get an error when I attempt to play them and this doesn't occur if I play a bcwav from a retail theme.

xextil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
EDIT: Ok managed to get your updated program. For whatever reason you changed the name of the exe from the first release or what ever version I had at first and was accidentally running the wrong one. I see the options to extract from cwavs.bin file now.

Yeah, I realize after upload last version, my fault.

However it appears it's an issue with what I'm using to convert my wav files to cwav.

Do you know of any tool to convert a wav to bcwav/cwav? The current one "BannerTool" which I use to make cwavs for banners works fine for banner sound effects, but it appears to not work with your program. I get an error when I attempt to play them and this doesn't occur if I play a bcwav from a retail theme.

I tried to make a cwav from "BannerTool" and I realize why not work with my program. BannerTool don't convert wav to cwav, only encapsulate raw wav data in a cwav structure. With banners it may work, but is not a valid cwav for themes and that's why 3DS crash.

The only tool I know to convert wav to bcwav is the one from Nintendo SDK :(

xextil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, after a lot of tests of different wav formats, I think i'm sure of what should be the origin wav format before convert to bcwav:

PCM unsigned 8-bit
Sampling rate: 8000 hz
Audio channels: mono

Some wavs with sampling rate of 16000 hz or 16 bit can be work, but many others not, so I don't recommend waste time on trying.

xextil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The CWAVs from the Legend of Zelda theme use 32khz and I used those with the SDK converter and it worked. Except for the open from sleep sound effect. That one doesn't play for some reason. :P

Yeah, some sounds with higher sampling rate works, but may cause that others sounds not, it's a matter of try.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Took along time to fit it in?