Homebrew [Release] CIAngel - download GOOD cias right on your 3ds :)

hmp22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ah, that makes sense. So I guess editing the .json file is more ideal. I know we can't exactly discuss the full details here but how exactly is that file generated? It's kind of a mess if I open it in NP++.

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
https://github.com/llakssz/CIAngel/releases/latest

enjoy!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ah, that makes sense. So I guess editing the .json file is more ideal. I know we can't exactly discuss the full details here but how exactly is that file generated? It's kind of a mess if I open it in NP++.
a custom python script. i can share it but it's not really ready for sharing. = i will share later when it is improved.
although honestly, creating a json file with the same values is not very hard (as stuff like this goes)

Reactions: Nikolay and hmp22

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
i could have added spaces and tabs to make it pretty, but why? the 3ds doesn't care ;)
it's not meant to be readable for us, but sure, i could make it nicer for manual editing.

Double Jumper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This would be better done by having a cleaner .json file, as it requires less processing on the 3ds side of things.
But then you couldn't show the user the original name, ending up with an all caps string or something. Unless you put both the original and the filtered version, but that'd be a pain to update or change.

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i could have added spaces and tabs to make it pretty, but why? the 3ds doesn't care ;)
it's not meant to be readable for us, but sure, i could make it nicer for manual editing.
Adding formatting may actually slow down processing on the 3ds when CIAngel is processing the file (as it has to deal with all the extra added newlines/spaces). There's quite a few ways out there already to format JSON in a more user friendly way for anyone who wants to manually modify the contents.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

But then you couldn't show the user the original name, ending up with an all caps string or something. Unless you put both the original and the filtered version, but that'd be a pain to update or change.
I was more talking the cleanup (Remove (tm), replace accented characters, etc). There's already a PR for doing case insensitive comparison when searching.

D

Deleted User

I found a bug. When typing in the test to search for a name, the keyboard animation freezes

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I found a bug. When typing in the test to search for a name, the keyboard animation freezes
Yeah, we're using a 3rd party keyboard library that's a little jankey. From what I can tell though, all of its issues are purely visual, so it shouldn't be too big of a problem :)

D

Deleted User

Yeah, we're using a 3rd party keyboard library that's a little jankey. From what I can tell though, all of its issues are purely visual, so it shouldn't be too big of a problem :)
Yeah, it's just tough to find the parentheses when it doesn't display it because it freezes :/

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, it's just tough to find the parentheses when it doesn't display it because it freezes :/
Ahh, I hadn't though about the special keys keyboard. Hmm, I wonder why it's freezing... Do you have a Github account you could open a bug report with? Far easier to keep track of bugs on there :)

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I was more talking the cleanup (Remove (tm), replace accented characters, etc). There's already a PR for doing case insensitive comparison when searching.
i would personally have a 'real' (from cdn) name and a 'safename'. (although cdn gives many names, for pokemon for example, it is the same title id for all regions, so we should really have each region's (each country's) name. but for now, only the english name is important and usable/displayable in CIAngel.
ideally a good json file could be used for many things, so i think it is good to keep real data still in it.
@Drakia - i forget if i asked this before, but would it be a good idea to have the game's icon img data in the json file, 14kb each. or, how do you recommend we manage that?

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Drakia - i forget if i asked this before, but would it be a good idea to have the game's icon img data in the json file, 14kb each. or, how do you recommend we manage that?
That one's tough. That would balloon the size of the JSON data, and technically add another "copyrighted" piece of data to the JSON file (Though I'm not sure anyone would care about icon img data being included?). Perhaps have a separate optional file that contains icon image data for people who do want that functionality, and only display icons (When we get to that stage) if the file exists?

Reactions: cearp

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
That one's tough. That would balloon the size of the JSON data, and technically add another "copyrighted" piece of data to the JSON file (Though I'm not sure anyone would care about icon img data being included?). Perhaps have a separate optional file that contains icon image data for people who do want that functionality, and only display icons (When we get to that stage) if the file exists?
if it really is 14kb, it's 'only' 28mb for 2000 titles, that's not CRAZY, this is 2016 :D but yes it should be optional :)
although, maybe loading all the objects into CIAngel, that would then take 28mb of ram right? (it's that simple?) that's not good. yes maybe not in the json, just separate files.

Reactions: Drakia

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if it really is 14kb, it's 'only' 28mb for 2000 titles, that's not CRAZY, this is 2016 :D but yes it should be optional :)
although, maybe loading all the objects into CIAngel, that would then take 28mb of ram right? (it's that simple?) that's not good. yes maybe not in the json, just separate files.
It depends on how the JSON library you're using works (I haven't looked at its internals). If instead of storing it as JSON, it's stored in a binary file of some sort, with offsets in the header based on titleid, it could be pretty low memory, but might take a small amount of time to get the offset for drawing. Kind of a tossup on what resources you want to spend on showing the icon.

Double Jumper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's a very long shot, but couldn't there be a way to download these images from Nintendo? Don't know if the eshop icon is the same as the installed one, but could be good enough...

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
It depends on how the JSON library you're using works (I haven't looked at its internals). If instead of storing it as JSON, it's stored in a binary file of some sort, with offsets in the header based on titleid, it could be pretty low memory, but might take a small amount of time to get the offset for drawing. Kind of a tossup on what resources you want to spend on showing the icon.
i think what you are talking about it referred to as 'zero-copy' - i don't think json, or jsoncpp uses zero copy... but i can check just to make sure.

AdmiralWafflez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do some applications only work on the latest firmware? I downloaded A SNES VC through CIAngel and when i went to install the cia, it installed just fine but when i went to open it, it stayed on the 3ds screen with the red lines and it wouldnt go away, is it because im on 9.2? BTW, Im using a New 3ds XL

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
It's a very long shot, but couldn't there be a way to download these images from Nintendo? Don't know if the eshop icon is the same as the installed one, but could be good enough...
there is a way yes.
fetching metadata and icon stuff, this will not be done on the 3ds, too much time.
that's why i made the json. the icons would be the same, organized beforehand and put on the sd (or downloaded from a site within CIAngel, already built for use)

4gionz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do some applications only work on the latest firmware? I downloaded A SNES VC through CIAngel and when i went to install the cia, it installed just fine but when i went to open it, it stayed on the 3ds screen with the red lines and it wouldnt go away, is it because im on 9.2? BTW, Im using a New 3ds XL
I think you need to visit the eshop page for that vc title and click repair

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: It's a kid's vitamin now!