Hacking Official [Release] CakesFW

WhoAmI?

PASTA's dirty animal
Trophies
Website
lavanoid.github.io
XP
Country
Yay, finally managed to fix my console after nearly hardbricking it several times (ripped DAT0, had to use the microscopic alt).
It's shit, used an old ethernet cable and broken headphones, but it works. Too lazy to wait for the cable connectors i ordered.
b2f9638e8f914d9894c809ff07d34d0b.jpg

It also makes it look pretty dank.

EDIT: Nevermind, it started hanging randomly and I fucked it up and perma-bricked my console.
Wow x'D King of all bodge-jobs :D

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone impatient wanting cakes on a9lh can get it here: https://github.com/fox8091/CakesForA9LH
Build using "make build/main.bin" and use that file as arm9loaderhax.bin.
Please note that the framebuffers of course don't work and you should have set up cakes prior with autoboot enabled for this to be useful in any way.
Also please don't do this if you have to ask a million questions everywhere.

As for an official release, not right now. Cakes isn't useful without it's menu (unlike ReiNAND) so I'll have to work around it either by falling back to FIRM1 so you can boot the menu from sysNAND, or patching the FIRM to do the same on command, which I'm not completely sure how to handle, but I guess I'll give it a shot.
Got a new console from @Vappy's friend, will arrive next week for me to screw around with it.
Also a website is being done by @WhoAmI? to better detail the current efforts being done for this project.

uribemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys im installing gba games on cakes cfw emunand and sysnand. They are unlinked and i have agb firm installed on both nands. Gba games work going into sysnand through minipasta but if i try loading them through emunand, my 3ds just shows a black screen. does 128 cakes nightly mess up gba emunand support or is there something im missing?

edit: nvm, after searching the thread thoroughly, i saw op post that an update to cakes is needed for what i want to do. Ill continue doingmy workaround lol. Or maybe im wrong idk lol :P. Sorry for that! Great cfw btw!

Last edited by uribemaster,

Trolling

This Username is taken. Problem?
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
As for an official release, not right now. Cakes isn't useful without it's menu (unlike ReiNAND) so I'll have to work around it either by falling back to FIRM1 so you can boot the menu from sysNAND, or patching the FIRM to do the same on command, which I'm not completely sure how to handle, but I guess I'll give it a shot.
You can try patching te firm and make something like the Gateway 'Select' menu.

AtlasFontaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Hey guys im installing gba games on cakes cfw emunand and sysnand. They are unlinked and i have agb firm installed on both nands. Gba games work going into sysnand through minipasta but if i try loading them through emunand, my 3ds just shows a black screen. does 128 cakes nightly mess up gba emunand support or is there something im missing?

edit: nvm, after searching the thread thoroughly, i saw op post that an update to cakes is needed for what i want to do. Ill continue doingmy workaround lol. Or maybe im wrong idk lol :P. Sorry for that! Great cfw btw!
I get this exact same thing, I can't make this run gba games :S

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That doesn't affect the cakes payload not working on 10.5. I asked about this in irc last night.

I meant without a9lh. But a9lh isn't firmware-specific.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You can try patching te firm and make something like the Gateway 'Select' menu.

That's also an option, but a pretty weird one as cakes are not dynamically loaded.

Reactions: gameking66

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm using sysNAND 4.2U and emuNAND 10.5U on an o3DS XL, and I've had no problems with Cakes up until now.
I've been using Cakes 102 and decided to update to 108, but it boots to a black screen.
I've enabled the 7.x NCCH patches option, and eventually just redownloaded everything but nothing's worked.

I can go back to 102 and have everything working just fine, but what can I do to use 108?

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So I'm using sysNAND 4.2U and emuNAND 10.5U on an o3DS XL, and I've had no problems with Cakes up until now.
I've been using Cakes 102 and decided to update to 108, but it boots to a black screen.
I've enabled the 7.x NCCH patches option, and eventually just redownloaded everything but nothing's worked.

I can go back to 102 and have everything working just fine, but what can I do to use 108?

The 7.x NCCH patches were untested when they were separated. Will re-test them soon.

3xkrazy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Compiled CakesFW 129 from source and it freezes at the menu on my o3DS @9.2.0-20U. 128 worked fine. firmware.bin and cetk files were downloaded from the o3DS link provided by the OP. Anyone else having this issue? I can't try 129 on my n3DS since arm9loader hax is installed and i'm too lazy to re-flash it with my hardmod I think there is an issue with the latest commit.

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Compiled CakesFW 129 from source and it freezes at the menu on my o3DS @9.2.0-20U. 128 worked fine. firmware.bin and cetk files were downloaded from the o3DS link provided by the OP. Anyone else having this issue? I can't try 129 on my n3DS since arm9loader hax is installed and i'm too lazy to re-flash it with my hardmod I think there is an issue with the latest commit.

Known issue: https://github.com/mid-kid/CakesForeveryWan/issues/22
Introduced as an attempt at supporting a9lh. Will look more carefully soon enough.

3xkrazy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Known issue: https://github.com/mid-kid/CakesForeveryWan/issues/22
Introduced as an attempt at supporting a9lh. Will look more carefully soon enough.

That's a relief. What do you think about allowing users to edit the config settings manually through an editor? The reason why I'm asking is because we can't select any cakes when booting a new build with a9lh. I'm pretty sure you're working on a better solution.

mid-kid

GBAtemp spamBOT
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That's a relief. What do you think about allowing users to edit the config settings manually through an editor? The reason why I'm asking is because we can't select any cakes when booting a new build with a9lh. I'm pretty sure you're working on a better solution.

We're trying to get the framebuffers to show up, instead of that. Meanwhile you can edit the config with a hex editor. https://github.com/mid-kid/CakesForeveryWan/blob/master/source/config.h#L6 (i.e. to add a cake, add 1 in little endian to 0xE in config.dat, and append the file path at the end of the file, padded to be at least 256 bytes in size.)

Last edited by mid-kid,
Reactions: 3xkrazy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :shy: