Homebrew [Release] Bread Box (C64 Emulator)

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
e.g. Wizball frequently runs around 42-45 FPS, so while triple the clock speed is perhaps overkill, it's probably easier to implement than improving performance by about 10-15%. Obviously it would be better for the emulator to run full speed everywhere, but if it's not running full speed and you have some extra headroom available to make it run full speed in more situations, it might as well be used. If you're concerned about battery life, you could take a similar approach to what Davideesk has done with Minicraft3DS, where the game defaults to 268MHz and players can go into the settings to enable 804MHz mode should they desire it.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In what way? it's currently running at 50fps for most games, at it's lowest point it runs at around 47fps. Other than a constant 50fps, what advantage would there be?
What about NTSC shouldn't matter as all great C64 software was made in Europe but the 60fps NTSC model still exists?
Does it achieve 60fps also?

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
What about NTSC shouldn't matter as all great C64 software was made in Europe but the 60fps NTSC model still exists?
Does it achieve 60fps also?
It's limited to 50fps because the C64 was mainly a European machine. Also, I don't see the point of playing games 'ever so slightly faster'.

ody81

Trophies
XP
Country
Are their any good tutorials for compiling a cia and all the required files (banner etc.)?

I looked at 3dbrew for that. But there were no live links to makerom at the time. There was another guide though, I'll see if I bookmarked it...

Nevermind, makerom link's still dead so here's some dropbox links i made up.
Bear in mind, I have used this stuff, but it's probably outdated, but still useful.

Here's link's to the makerom, ctrtool and banner creation stuff I've used in the past.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4m00iji3xgmpntg/AAA97rp4cjBKdZNFreM5QLBJa?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8ed2g9pwcv5dkkj/AAA8F7Qbb6EU7dRuL-sAsQB7a?dl=0

And page 35 here for .rsf creation...

http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-converting-3ds-to-cia-for-dummies.373722/page-35#post-5155838

Last edited by ody81,

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
JpcNtF9.png
Thanks for the quasi-recommendation, by the way, @spinal_cord. Just played all the way through You Have to Win the Game on BreadBox; great game.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
@spinal_cord Doing the good ending and everything?
In the room where the wall says "What do you want from me?" you need to type ← which will open a console window, then ARC, Enter, and ← again to close the console.
see what happens when i try to play a game the "old" way and not look anything up. How are people meant to know that! :-P I'll give it a show.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
@spinal_cord Yeah, there are hints written on the walls throughout the game as if a "previous player" had figured out the solution, but they're cryptic as all hell and totally meaningless until you go Googling for what the hell you're supposed to do.

Right, now that that's done, I can get back to attempting to clean the audio up.

Reactions: Vague Rant

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wanted to say thanks for bringing the C64 to the 3DS :)

(Also, there's a C64 version of You Have To Win The Game? Never knew that...been playing the Steam version all this time! welp I guess I know what I'll be doing later)

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
OP
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
OK, I need a little help with the sound. I've managed to get the quality to where I want it (good), however I seem to be filling the buffer incorrectly. The attached build uses the following code to update the sound, have a listen ant tell me where I've gone wrong (please)...

Code:
 // CALC_FREQ = 50
 // TPS = ticks per second = 268123480    
 // sample_length = 44100 = 1 second    

int divide = 50;
    thisTime = svcGetSystemTick();
    if (oldTime < thisTime){
        oldTime = thisTime + (TPS/CALC_FREQ); // 50 times per second
        if(showMenu != 1 && filesGot != 1){
            calc_buffer(sound_calc_buf + offset, (sample_length/divide)*2); // 2 50ths of a second of sound
            offset += (sample_length/divide); // increment by 50th of sample length
            if(offset >= sample_length) offset -= sample_length;
        }else{
            memset(sound_calc_buf, 0, sample_length);
        }
    }

Attachments

• BreadBox_odd sound.zip
    311.2 KB · Views: 119

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I found it funny cause many many years ago, had a roommate in college that did this same dumbass...