Homebrew [Release] [Beta] PixelChat - A chat-based replacement for Miiverse!

codeHusky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
codehusky.com
XP
Country
United States
Pixelchat is a drop-in replacement for Miiverse, which serves basically as a web-based Pictochat.

As I'm one of the team members for Rverse, I've included a button to redirect to Rverse in case you're interested in a more traditional Miiverse experience too. (But yeah, Rverse is back up!)

For the patch to access Pixelchat Beta, download this: https://codehusky.com/pixelchat-patch.zip
You shouldn't have any issues when running these patches, but as always, I'm not responsible if you break something on your console.
  1. Download the patch.
  2. Using your PC or Phone, extract the contents on the zip to the root of your SD Card. The zip contains 2 folders, 3ds and luma. Extract the folders in the same place you see them. If you're asked if you want to overwrite the contents of the folders, please allow it to continue. It won't overwrite any file unless you're updating a previous patch install.
  3. Insert the SD Card onto your 3DS if you haven't done yet, and press and hold the Select button while you power on your 3DS to access your Luma3DS configuration. Once there, make sure you have enabled the Enable game patching setting and press the Start button to save.
  4. You're done. The only thing left to do is to open the Miiverse icon on your HOME menu and you'll see Pixelchat.
(guide adapted from rverse install instructions)

Keep in mind that the chat currently is like account-less IRC and doesn't have much for moderation at the moment. I can (and will) blacklist IPs if people are abusing the service however. Please don't make me do that.

If you have any suggestions, concerns, or anything else, let me know!

Last edited by codeHusky,

Vulpes-Vulpeos

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
I'm looking into some alternative options.
Scrolling with circle pad will be great option.

Do you plan to add separate rooms like in Pictochat? With current online it's unnecessary, but later it can become handy.
Also is it possible to load some older messages, 10 last messages for example, when you connect so chat doesn't look empty?

Last edited by Vulpes-Vulpeos,

codeHusky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
codehusky.com
XP
Country
United States
Scrolling with circle pad will be great option.

Do you plan to add separate rooms like in Pictochat? With current online it's unnecessary, but later it can become handy.
Also is it possible to load some older massages, 10 last messages for example, when you connect so chat doesn't look empty?
I'm planning on separate rooms in the future, yeah.
Also yeah I'm planning on doing that. I'll probably implement that now.

EDIT: added the chat log loading on rejoin

Last edited by codeHusky,

codeHusky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
codehusky.com
XP
Country
United States
Here's some lovely drawings posted by who I'm assuming is Vulpes (from earlier in the thread), sent on PixelChat.

oN2YBkk.png

AGRXdX7.png

I'm a big fan of the husky! :) Might use this as my avatar in the future even.

I've also added a user list, so if you join and you're not sure who's currently online, you can go and check by tapping "users". This replaces the join/leave chat messages. Private messaging and multiple rooms are planned.

Vulpes-Vulpeos

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
who I'm assuming is Vulpes (from earlier in the thread),
Yes, it was me ^_^ Can you also upload my Tom Nook drawings please?

Might use this as my avatar in the future even.
Please don't. Your original avatar looks much better than my drawing.

I've also added a user list... This replaces the join/leave chat messages.
Great, that's much more convenient then join/leave messages.

Is it possible to add message scrolling with circle pad? Current scrolling with on screen buttons isn't smooth.

codeHusky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
codehusky.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it was me ^_^ Can you also upload my Tom Nook drawings please?
Is it possible to add message scrolling with circle pad? Current scrolling with on screen buttons isn't smooth.
I would've, but the server crashed a few times and I lost them! :( In the future I'll have to add something that automatically stores drawings for a few days or something.

Regarding scrolling, I've been looking into it. The way the miiverse applet handles displaying webpages makes things complicated for things that are supposed to stay on the screen constantly (the menu bar is hard-coded into the applet). I have yet to find a way to capture circle pad movement and apply it for scrolling, but just know that I'm still looking into this.

(Also, come on, your drawing looks pretty great. If you really don't want me using your drawing as my avatar I can change it though.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all