ROM Hack [Release] Basic Monster Hunter Stories Save Editor

iDropOut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
for those who don't know how to use it..
just put the editor and the save game in one folder, then run the editor..
after editor open, just enter 0 (zero) and enter..
it should work.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
for those who don't know how to use it..
just put the editor and the save game in one folder, then run the editor..
after editor open, just enter 0 (zero) and enter..
it should work.
The reason it isn't working for some people is because I don't know how to release things properly lol. The app relies on some files being on your PC, but I don't know what they are. There's a way to bundle all these files into the exe but I really don't know how :P

iDropOut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
The reason it isn't working for some people is because I don't know how to release things properly lol. The app relies on some files being on your PC, but I don't know what they are. There's a way to bundle all these files into the exe but I really don't know how :P
maybe they should install c++ stuff or something to make it work..

Reactions: Scarlet

Genshin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
So..I should take the mhr_game0.sav also the SaveEdit.exe in one file..after that..run and copy back the file into the folder..right?

Reactions: iDropOut

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So..I should take the mhr_game0.sav also the SaveEdit.exe in one file..after that..run and copy back the file into the folder..right?
Just have them both in the same folder ^^ If the app fails to start, that won't help it though.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Already try..it say successful..but..nothing change on my save after i'm import back on my 3ds
Send me your save? I'll have a look when I get in ^^ There's a lot I might have gotten wrong since I've only been using my save for reference.

secXsQuared

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
According to this thread-> https://gbatemp.net/threads/request-monster-hunter-stories-save-data-format-list.444808/
I did some experiments. I wrote some simple C code and successfully set all my existing items to 999. Here are some stuff I found out:

0. The offset and layout info is in the thread above.
1. Items are ordered according to the order they are displayed in game not their item ids.
2. some item ids are invalid and WILL crash the game.
3. Key items shouldn't be set to more than 1. The first key item's id is 1227 (decimal), followed by the other key items. Since key items are always displayed after all the normal items, I ASSUME, *ASSUME being the keyword, that the program should stop once it reaches the item with id 1227.
4. Items that the player has not yet obtained will have 0000 id and 0000 quantity. However, space is reserved for those ids because in the sav file sometimes there are space for multiple items between two existing items. Once the player obtains an item, the item id is permanently kept in the save file. If the player run out an existing item, the record in save file will still have the item ID but with 0 quantity. Lastly, I GUESS the item box ID order is fixed.
5. I don't know all the valid ids/complete id-item mapping yet.

If monster editing does not come out after a while. I will try to analyze the save format of monsters if I have time (not sure when). This game is exactly like Pokemon. Ultimately people would like monsters with 9 slots and perfect skill slots layout.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hey all o/

Seen a few people looking for a save editor for Stories and I'd been meaning to throw something hex editory together for a while now, so I made this. All it does is max your money and Potions. It could be edited to do more if people tell me the offsets. I might mess with it a little more later, but it seems usable now, albeit with little to no error checking, so back up your save. Just make sure the file is in the same folder as the executable and there shouldn't be any issues...

I ain't taking no responsibility if your game breaks because you want to cheat.

Anyway, it's written in C++. I used system("pause") so it'll only work on Windows lol. I think that's everything now! The exe is attached to the post, and the sauce can be found here.

Lemme know any issues and I'll try to help <3

Edit: Not sure where save editors are supposed to go if I'm honest. I was torn between here and 3DS Homebrew, but since the Hyrule Warriors Legends one resides here, I decided to stick this here too. Shout at me and/or report the post if I got it wrong!

Just A Notification....

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
According to this thread-> https://gbatemp.net/threads/request-monster-hunter-stories-save-data-format-list.444808/
I did some experiments. I wrote some simple C code and successfully set all my existing items to 999. Here are some stuff I found out:

0. The offset and layout info is in the thread above.
1. Items are ordered according to the order they are displayed in game not their item ids.
2. some item ids are invalid and WILL crash the game.
3. Key items shouldn't be set to more than 1. The first key item's id is 1227 (decimal), followed by the other key items. Since key items are always displayed after all the normal items, I ASSUME, *ASSUME being the keyword, that the program should stop once it reaches the item with id 1227.
4. Items that the player has not yet obtained will have 0000 id and 0000 quantity. However, space is reserved for those ids because in the sav file sometimes there are space for multiple items between two existing items. Once the player obtains an item, the item id is permanently kept in the save file. If the player run out an existing item, the record in save file will still have the item ID but with 0 quantity. Lastly, I GUESS the item box ID order is fixed.
5. I don't know all the valid ids/complete id-item mapping yet.

If monster editing does not come out after a while. I will try to analyze the save format of monsters if I have time (not sure when). This game is exactly like Pokemon. Ultimately people would like monsters with 9 slots and perfect skill slots layout.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just A Notification....
I've started looking into monster editing. The structure doesn't seem too difficult. Name is plain text, and the values for current HP, Max HP, and other stats are visible. Not tried editing them yet though. There's no exp to the next level there so I'd just assume total exp is in there somewhere. It'll probably be trial and error to find it unless there's a way to view the amount in game.

Svaethier

Trophies
Website
s6.zetaboards.com
XP
Country
United States
I've started looking into monster editing. The structure doesn't seem too difficult. Name is plain text, and the values for current HP, Max HP, and other stats are visible. Not tried editing them yet though. There's no exp to the next level there so I'd just assume total exp is in there somewhere. It'll probably be trial and error to find it unless there's a way to view the amount in game.
Well to find exp you could look at the stats then go into game, level up a monster and see which one changed and what value it changed into.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ahahaha, I broke my Velocidrome trying to change species. Still a Velocidrome, but now it can't jump and does the radar when I press B.

Anyway, basic info on monsters! Information starts at 0xA150, and each monster's data seems to go for 0x100 past that. From the first part of one monster to just before the next is 0x478 but a lot of that is 0s so I'm not sure if there's any significance there.

I've made the assumption the data starts with the name, and the offsets below are just to be added on.
Code:
0x00    Name
0x38    Something related to monstie abilities (the thing I edited to get radar on my Velocidrome)
// 04 00 = Velocidrome
// 0C 11 = Azuros
0x44    Current HP?
0x46    Max HP?
0x48    Attack
0x4A    Defense
0x4C    Agility
0x5C    Level
0xE0    EXP
Haven't played with any of these values yet, but I plan to now ♪

Edit: Okay so I gave my Azuros the Velocidrome jump and... It worked! But upon landing, it partially falls into the floor and softlocks the game. The game isn't actually frozen but there's no way to end the animation.
lkrHC3y.png
As a note, 0xE0 definitely works for EXP, but setting it too high will just reset after battle to what is normal (I tried FF FF FF FF just for the sake of testing).

Edit 2: Set my Velocidrome's EXP to FF FF FF 00 and it jumped to Level 99 (Max). The EXP curve might be different for other monsters, but I'll just assume that's enough to max any monster for now.
3lo0j0a.png

Last edited by Scarlet,

Jesus10101

lord and savior
Trophies
XP
Country
Ahahaha, I broke my Velocidrome trying to change species. Still a Velocidrome, but now it can't jump and does the radar when I press B.

Anyway, basic info on monsters! Information starts at 0xA150, and each monster's data seems to go for 0x100 past that. From the first part of one monster to just before the next is 0x478 but a lot of that is 0s so I'm not sure if there's any significance there.

I've made the assumption the data starts with the name, and the offsets below are just to be added on.

0x00 Name
0x38 Something related to monstie abilities (the thing I edited to get radar on my Velocidrome)
// 04 00 = Velocidrome
// 0C 11 = Azuros
0x44 Current HP?
0x46 Max HP?
0x48 Attack
0x4A Defense
0x4C Agility
0x5C Level
0xE0 EXP
[/SPOILER]

But it doesnt seem like the stats of the monster have changed from the increase of exp judging by the picture. Can we edit its level to 98 then level it up the last time through the game and maybe then the stats change triggers? If not then we might have to manually edit the stats. And also, did you find the offset for speed growth?

secXsQuared

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Code:
0x00    Name
0x38    Something related to monstie abilities (the thing I edited to get radar on my Velocidrome)
// 04 00 = Velocidrome
// 0C 11 = Azuros
0x44    Current HP?
0x46    Max HP?
0x48    Attack
0x4A    Defense
0x4C    Agility
0x5C    Level
0xE0    EXP
Haven't played with any of these values yet, but I plan to now ♪

Edit: Okay so I gave my Azuros the Velocidrome jump and... It worked! But upon landing, it partially falls into the floor and softlocks the game. The game isn't actually frozen but there's no way to end the animation.
lkrHC3y.png
As a note, 0xE0 definitely works for EXP, but setting it too high will just reset after battle to what is normal (I tried FF FF FF FF just for the sake of testing).

Edit 2: Set my Velocidrome's EXP to FF FF FF 00 and it jumped to Level 99 (Max). The EXP curve might be different for other monsters, but I'll just assume that's enough to max any monster for now.
3lo0j0a.png
Seems like stetting Atk Def HP does not work. I guess that's just display value/whatever.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But it doesnt seem like the stats of the monster have changed from the increase of exp judging by the picture. Can we edit its level to 98 then level it up the last time through the game and maybe then the stats change triggers? If not then we might have to manually edit the stats. And also, did you find the offset for speed growth?
Oh the reason the stats haven't changed is because that was before level up, hence the huge negative number for experience required for next level. I have no idea what speed growth is, so I have not found it lol

secXsQuared

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
EDIT1: Changed to Java implementation so it SHOULD solve compatibility issues.

EDIT2: List of item ids can be found here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8fJoQCzz9mJbnFYQ3VwdFZRV00/view?usp=sharing. Or "idmap.txt" inside the ItemSet_All.zip. The format is "offset" "id" "name"

EDIT3: Added all items x986 editor.

EDIT5: Check out the MHSEC save editor which includes all the features in this post + additional ones.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-mhsec-monster-hunter-stories-editor-crappy.445117/

Probably don't have much time to look into monster data layout especially skill slots and ability stuff. (MAYBE this weekend?)
I'll just post my crappy item set to at least contribute to the trivial item part.

Sources:
Existing items: http://pastebin.com/2MaVcxa8
All items: http://pastebin.com/vL0sBcTu

ItemSet_All sets ALL items except for key items to 986.
Important note: I have yet figured out how to trigger the "unlock" mechanism in game. Doesn't seem like holding the item unlocks its corresponding weapon/armor crafting quests. EDIT4: As far as I've been experimenting, the only way to unlock is to trigger "item"s going into the inventory. And the only way to trigger that in game is to obtain the item through battle/gathering. Interestingly, if the player already holds 999 of a certain item, obtaining new ones doesn't trigger the unlock. Therefore I changed set_all to 986x.

ItemSet_Exisiting sets EXISTING items to 986x including those depleted but have been acquired.

Usage:
java ItemSet <your save file name>

I've made a batch "ItemSet.bat" in both zips to convert save slot 0's sav.

Both require Java to execute. If you get "java not found", you need to install JRE8.

BACK UP YOUR SAVE.

Output:
<your save file name> with ".hacked" appended...

Attachments

• ItemSet_Existing.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 420
  • ItemSet_All.zip
    10.5 KB · Views: 396
Last edited by secXsQuared,

Jesus10101

lord and savior
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh the reason the stats haven't changed is because that was before level up, hence the huge negative number for experience required for next level. I have no idea what speed growth is, so I have not found it lol
Speed growth is under Speed ingame (成長型) . It determines how fast your monster levels up. There are:
- Normal Growth (普通)
- Fast Growth (早熟)
- Slow Growth (晩成)

Since you were able to change the skill of a Azuros with Velocidromes jump, i thought that maybe you can also change the speed in which monsters level up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: If you want a good system to port it to, at least have a good programmer and knowledge.