Hacking [Release] ARK-4 CFW port for PSP.

Acid_Snake

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
For updating to both Rev and non-Rev versions and regarding all current and future releases?
Yes, there was a bug in the update server that would report the wrong update version, thus the PSP thinks there was no update.. This has been fixed.
This only applied to the regular server, the /test server has always been working fine.
Post automatically merged:

Can I overclock to 444mhz on a real PSP?
Nope. Not that we know of.

Reactions: RandomGuy2023

RandomGuy2023

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, there was a bug in the update server that would report the wrong update version, thus the PSP thinks there was no update.. This has been fixed.
This only applied to the regular server, the /test server has always been working fine.
Post automatically merged:

Nope. Not that we know of.

Thank you. I have other questions.

On the latest ARK-4's GitHub repository's changelogs, you mention the crash on the PS Vita with standalone installs was fixed but in ARK-4's GitHub repository's README.md under "Standalone via FastARK", "Standalone via NoPspEmuDrm" and "Standalone via ChovySign" you mention if the user gets a kernel error to simply close the app and open it again. Which method should be used to install the standalone ARK on the PS Vita?

Last edited by RandomGuy2023,

Acid_Snake

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
On the latest ARK-4 GitHub changelogs, you mention the crash on the PS Vita with standalone installs was fixed but in ARK-4's main GitHub page under "Standalone via FastARK", "Standalone via ChovySign" and "Standalone via NoPspEmuDrm" you mention if the user gets a kernel error to simply close the app and open it again.
I think these are two different things, the kernel exploit failing doesn't cause a crash, it just shows an error. I remember improving the kernel exploit stability but not actually mentioning it on the changelog so you're probably reading another issue that was solved.

Which method should be used to install ARK on the PS Vita?
My recommendation is to use NoPspEmuDrm as it will work without a PSN account. The ChovySign method is manual and can be difficult to do. FastARK method is also easy.

RandomGuy2023

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think these are two different things, the kernel exploit failing doesn't cause a crash, it just shows an error. I remember improving the kernel exploit stability but not actually mentioning it on the changelog so you're probably reading another issue that was solved.

My recommendation is to use NoPspEmuDrm as it will work without a PSN account. The ChovySign method is manual and can be difficult to do. FastARK method is also easy.

In my case it not only shows an error but also crashes and I often have to restart the PS Vita so I think showing an error and crashing is the same.

I installed the standalone ARK via FastARK and NoPspEmuDrm methods and ARK always crashes with the C1-2858-3 kernel right after being run or after running a PSP ISO. I don't understand why there are three methods to install the standalone ARK on the PS Vita.

Why are there three ways to update PSP's ARK from the PC when the one regarding copying "UPDATE" folder and running ARK UPDATE is easier so the other one (copying "ARK_01234" folder and running ARK Loader) isn't needed (or vice-versa, at most)?

May the user delete ARK Loader and Infinity after installing them on the PSP but not the ARK_01234 folder?

Acid_Snake

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
In my case it still causes a crash and I often have to restart the PS Vita so I think showing an error and crashing is the same.
Is this on PS Vita standalone? I haven't tested these in a while but I also wouldn't think it broke, I guess I'll have to try myself.
What kind of crash are you having?

I tried all of them and ARK always crashes. I'm connected to a PSN account so which method should I use? I don't understand why there are three methods to install ARK on the PS Vita.
There's only really two (Standalone and Adrenaline), but Standalone installations have existed since the days of the original ARK and more specifically ARK-2, so there's more than one way to install it simply because of historical reasons (i.e. FastARK). I have suggested to use NoPspEmuDrm as the recommended method though FastARK (which was original made for ARK-2 and then updated for ARK-4) works just fine.

Why are there two ways to update PSP's ARK from the PC when the one regarding copying "UPDATE" folder and running ARK UPDATE is easier so the other one (copying "ARK_01234" folder and running ARK Loader) isn't needed (or vice-versa, at most)?
Probably because the updater is relatively new, as it didn't exist until well into ARK-4's development life. Now I don't generally delete anything from the readme, but rather add to it, which is why both methods are explained.

May one delete ARK Loader and Infinity after installing them on the PSP but not the ARK_01234 folder?
Yes, you can get rid of ARK Loader and Infinity. On PSP you can also get rid of the ARK_01234 folder if you use `Full Installation` but I don't generally recommend this. Full Installations are most useful for when you remove the memory stick so you can still use most of the CFW (i.e. a corrupted memory stick).

RandomGuy2023

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this on PS Vita standalone? I haven't tested these in a while but I also wouldn't think it broke, I guess I'll have to try myself.
What kind of crash are you having?

There's only really two (Standalone and Adrenaline), but Standalone installations have existed since the days of the original ARK and more specifically ARK-2, so there's more than one way to install it simply because of historical reasons (i.e. FastARK). I have suggested to use NoPspEmuDrm as the recommended method though FastARK (which was original made for ARK-2 and then updated for ARK-4) works just fine.

Probably because the updater is relatively new, as it didn't exist until well into ARK-4's development life. Now I don't generally delete anything from the readme, but rather add to it, which is why both methods are explained.

Yes, you can get rid of ARK Loader and Infinity. On PSP you can also get rid of the ARK_01234 folder if you use `Full Installation` but I don't generally recommend this. Full Installations are most useful for when you remove the memory stick so you can still use most of the CFW (i.e. a corrupted memory stick).

I installed ARK via the new FasterARK method on the PS Vita and the PS TV and I'm not having the C1-2858-3 kernel error right after running ARK or after running a PSP ISO with it.

Why doesn't ARK-4's GitHub repository's README.md mention how to update the standalone ARK and the Adrenaline ARK and why doesn't ARK-4's GitHub repository's Wiki mention how to update the PSP ARK, the standalone PS Vita ARK via the FasterARK and ChovySign methods and the Adrenaline ARK?

Why doesn't ARK-4's GitHub repository's README.md mention the ChovySign method unlike ARK-4's GitHub repository's Wiki?

EDIT: ARK-4's GitHub repository's README.md says "ARK CFW" must be run after running Infinity the second time instead of "ARK Loader" and ARK-4's GitHub repository's Wiki doesn't mention the latter has to be run after running Infinity the second time.

pitrako

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any way of using psvita's camera with adrenaline + ark-4 (pentazemin mode)?, eyepet needs it. And beowulf doesn't load (black screen on psvita), these issues happen on standalone ark-4 too.

Acid_Snake

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Any way of using psvita's camera with adrenaline + ark-4 (pentazemin mode)?, eyepet needs it. And beowulf doesn't load (black screen on psvita), these issues happen on standalone ark-4 too.
Doesn't the Vita's camera work fine already? I was under the impression that only the XMB had issues with it but games work fine. I haven't tried it myself but I'll look into it.

RandomGuy2023

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Read carefully. The Refresh Live Area instructions is under NoPspEmuDrm, not FastARK.

OK, but ARK-4's GitHub repository's Wiki doesn't mention ARK has limitations with PS1 games unlike ARK-4's GitHub repository's README.md and the latter says "ARK CFW" must be run after running Infinity the second time instead of "ARK Loader" so could you at least say the same in both places and replace "ARK CFW" by "ARK Loader" under ARK-4's GitHub repository's README.md "Permanent CFW via Infinity" step?

Acid_Snake

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Guys I have great news for Vita users, installing ARK on PS Vita is now easier than ever with the new and improved `FasterARK` installer VPK. For more information, I've made a re-release of the latest version containing this new installation method:
https://github.com/PSP-Archive/ARK-4/releases/tag/r42064b

OK, but ARK's GitHub's Wiki doesn't mention ARK has limitations with PS1 games unlike ARK's GitHub and ARK's GitHub states "ARK CFW" must be run after running Infinity the second time instead of "ARK Loader" so could you at least state the same in both places and replace "ARK CFW" by "ARK Loader" under ARK's Github "Permanent CFW via Infinity" step?
We try to improve the wiki as we go along, but such a big project takes time to review.

RandomGuy2023

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys I have great news for Vita users, installing ARK on PS Vita is now easier than ever with the new and improved `FasterARK` installer VPK. For more information, I've made a re-release of the latest version containing this new installation method:
https://github.com/PSP-Archive/ARK-4/releases/tag/r42064b

We try to improve the wiki as we go along, but such a big project takes time to review.

So, now there are only 2 methods to install the standalone PS Vita ARK, the FasterARK and the ChovySign ones?

Acid_Snake

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
So, now there are only 2 methods of installing the standalone PS Vita ARK, the FasterARK and the ChovySign ones?
Yes, but ChovySign is a manual method meant for advanced users only. FasterARK already installs a custom ChovySign bubble, but that bubble only works on Henkaku with NoPspEmuDrm. If you want the bubble to work on Official Firmware then you have to manually make your own bubble with ChovySign.

RandomGuy2023

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but ChovySign is a manual method meant for advanced users only. FasterARK already installs a custom ChovySign bubble, but that bubble only works on Henkaku with NoPspEmuDrm. If you want the bubble to work on Official Firmware then you have to manually make your own bubble with ChovySign.

I guess ARK-4's GitHub repository's README.md should mention the ChovySign method like ARK-4's GitHub's Wiki.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW7LwaU1xMw