Hacking [Release] 3DSafe: In-NAND PIN lock for 3DS

ghostpotato

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@mashers Any thoughts on changing the PIN length? I would mess around myself, but as I said, I don't have a hardmod (yet). Sorry if I'm starting to be annoying. :)

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I bit the bullet and installed 3DSafe anyway. I guess I was just too excited to have something new to play with.

Either way, TWL support seems to be broken with the default emergency payload. Neither my DS flashcard (an old AK2i) nor DSiWare will load, which is disappointing.
The full version of Luma plays nicely with that TWL and AGB software though, which is fortunate though expected. Exiting these games requires me to re-enter the pin, which is a little annoying.

Overall though it's very smooth experience. I can't wait to see where this project leads.

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I bit the bullet and installed 3DSafe anyway. I guess I was just too excited to have something new to play with.

Either way, TWL support seems to be broken with the default emergency payload. Neither my DS flashcard (an old AK2i) nor DSiWare will load, which is disappointing.
The full version of Luma plays nicely with that TWL and AGB software though, which is fortunate though expected. Exiting these games requires me to re-enter the pin, which is a little annoying.

Overall though it's very smooth experience. I can't wait to see where this project leads.
You can disable the pin in options when home so you dont need to re-enter the pin each time you quite those types of games. And the emergency payload is called emergency for a reason, its not intended for regular use, only emergencies.

metroid maniac

An idiot with an opinion
Trophies
XP
Country
You can disable the pin in options when home so you dont need to re-enter the pin each time you quite those types of games. And the emergency payload is called emergency for a reason, its not intended for regular use, only emergencies.

Makes sense, but one of the reasons I made the switch from ShadowNAND is because I hoped that the "internal" CFW would be a little more functional.

I wonder how difficult it would be to make an arm9 binary which does nothing but load whatever DS software is in the cart slot. I for one would find a lot of use in that, though I don't know if anyone else would think so.

ghostpotato

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@mashers I have a suggestion for autobooting the payload. What if after the person enters the PIN, they hold the last character of their PIN and that brings up the options menu; otherwise it autoboots the payload? I don't know if this is possible in the language that this uses (I'm guessing C); it's just an idea.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An idea I had: How about an option to add a "If found, return to x/call y"? I had an android phone that had an option like that on the lockscreen and I thought it was a good feature.
Maybe a custom string that could be added to a config file of some kind? So the user could offer a reward or a plea to someone's good nature?

Last edited by Subtle Demise,

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An idea I had: How about an option to add a "If found, return to x/call y"? I had an android phone that had an option like that on the lockscreen and I thought it was a good feature.
Maybe a custom string that could be added to a config file of some kind? So the user could offer a reward or a plea to someone's good nature?
....it already supports this feature.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lmao! It happens. :P
Well now that I know that it's an option, this is definitely going on my 3DS as soon as possible. It will be useful since I'm hopping between houses right now (living an hour from work and not being able to drive sucks btw).
It'll also useful to keep my little girls from sneaking off with it and updating or deleting something without my supervision lol.

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
The full version of Luma plays nicely with that TWL and AGB software though, which is fortunate though expected.
I think it's something to do with the way I forced it to boot without config. I'll have another look at that.

Exiting these games requires me to re-enter the pin, which is a little annoying.
That's because exiting them actually reboots the console. There's nothing I can do about that. I could perhaps add a feature where it won't prompt for the PIN within a certain time period after he last successful PIN entry. Would that solve this problem?

@mashers I have a suggestion for autobooting the payload. What if after the person enters the PIN, they hold the last character of their PIN and that brings up the options menu; otherwise it autoboots the payload? I don't know if this is possible in the language that this uses (I'm guessing C); it's just an idea.
That's a nice idea. Yes it's also possible in C. I'll add it to the todo list. Thanks!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I've opened up issues on GitHub. Please post bug reports or feature requests there as it will make it easier to track and complete these requests. Thanks :)

Reactions: XRaTiX and shawn_

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's because exiting them actually reboots the console. There's nothing I can do about that. I could perhaps add a feature where it won't prompt for the PIN within a certain time period after he last successful PIN entry. Would that solve this problem?
Is there anything the 3DS does different during a reboot than a cold boot? Or is there a way you could time how long it has been since the last time the system was on? Obviously wondering if there was a way to detect a reboot over a cold boot and not require the pin.

Edit:
Session persistency
When a soft (or "MCU") reboot happens (like exiting from System Settings), Luma3DS will remember and force the last used boot mode. This is to easily keep staying on the NAND you booted.
To override this, just hold A (which is equivalent to not pressing anything on a fresh boot), or the desired button(s) for other boot options/ARM9 payloads.

From the Luma3DS wiki. There MUST be a way to do this!

Last edited by MadMageKefka,
Reactions: metroid maniac

Ichigo1000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's something to do with the way I forced it to boot without config. I'll have another look at that.

That's a nice idea. Yes it's also possible in C. I'll add it to the todo list. Thanks!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I've opened up issues on GitHub. Please post bug reports or feature requests there as it will make it easier to track and complete these requests. Thanks :)
How about disabling the PIN for only reboots? Will that work?

Last edited by Ichigo1000,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ykuU8hnotr0?si=HzEN_fL2UyOn35HQ +1