Hacking Region Lock?

Rokubato

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
How long so you think it will take to hack the 3DS's region lock?
And I don't mean hacking by using a flash cart, I am talking about a patch or something around that line that will let you play imported games...

I really hope it will happen fast.. I just know I will have to import some games (like the new One Piece game >_< )
I'm just really scared about the update bricking and all that shit ):
I can live without a flashcart, but I can't live without my imported games

Rokubato

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Well I know it's all just a rumor.. and I was talking about update blocking (not to be able to update your 3ds) for using illegal software and stuff.
again, I know it's just a rumor, but some of it might come true.

D

Deleted User

That's my issue too. At first I wasn't going to care about flashcards because I thought I could play the Japanese 3DS games on the NA 3DS but then they announce region locks and now I hope the lock is a lie or there's a way to bypass it.

Because the 3DS games I want ARE NEVER coming to America. :'D

Rokubato

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
spiritofcat said:
Just import a japanese 3DS to play them on too.

I don't think I should support that idea. a costumer shouldn't buy 2 of the same consuls just to play all the game
that's stupid.

Kawo

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have read some rumors on this thing.
Seems like the 3DS have indeed the region lock BUT is the producer of the game who decide if put it in the cartridge or not.
Example: Nintendo will region lock all their stuff but if Square-Enix make a game in Japan a european can ship the thing and play it without any problem.

I remember this info is all from rumors and threads on the net, nothing is sure for now.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Region lock is not a lie for 3DS. In fact it is there for DSi enhanced/exclusive games.

It has three purposes,

* Different parental rating system among different regions.
* Marketing strategy.
* Avoid competition from different regions.

What you are proposing, a patch, will only happen if someone managed to decrypt the firmware and install CFW on 3DS. Most likely this will rely on flashcart as well.

D

Deleted User

Kawo said:
I have read some rumors on this thing.
Seems like the 3DS have indeed the region lock BUT is the producer of the game who decide if put it in the cartridge or not.
Example: Nintendo will region lock all their stuff but if Square-Enix make a game in Japan a european can ship the thing and play it without any problem.

I remember this info is all from rumors and threads on the net, nothing is sure for now.
Yeah I remember hearing about that but I suppose we can't know for sure until the NA or European 3DS is out. The locking is beyond lame.

Rokubato

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
As a great man once said:
"What is fucking wrong with this fucking world?!"

I feel sick just thinking of all the effort I will have to put just to play japanese games...
I really hope the rumors about only locking some of the games are true.

That is just unbelievable that Nintendo themselves might be the reason for me to hack my 3DS
that is simply wrong.
I mean, I want to buy games, why is that have to be so f'ing hard?!?!

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Well it's not a rumour that it's up to the developers to region lock the games, the case was the same on DSi.
If you have the chance to control your software's proliferation, you'll do it as a business.
More control gets you more money from specific regions.
Nintendo will region-lock though. That's a given. That alone means 80% of good games will be region-locked.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Nollog said:
Well it's not a rumour that it's up to the developers to region lock the games, the case was the same on DSi.
If you have the chance to control your software's proliferation, you'll do it as a business.
More control gets you more money from specific regions.
Nintendo will region-lock though. That's a given. That alone means 80% of good games will be region-locked.
I'm not sure you've seen any of the announced games if you think 80% of the good ones are first party. This isn't the Wii, here.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Midna said:
I'm not sure you've seen any of the announced games if you think 80% of the good ones are first party. This isn't the Wii, here.
I'm not talking about launch. i'm talking about system lifetime.
Launch is usually bad.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rokubato said:
What DSi games got locked other then Pokemon B/W?
Well, many DSi enhanced games,

Sonic Classic Collection
Pokemon HG/SS
Assassin's Creed 2
Mario vs. Donkey Kong Mini-Land Mayhem
Toy Story 3
The Sims 3
etc

Basically all these games can play on DS/DS Lite since region lock is ignored on these units. For DSi/DSi XL/3DS, region lock is checked and if lock is not matched, you can't play these games.

Demonbart

GBATemp's guitar hero
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
trumpet-205 said:
Rokubato said:
What DSi games got locked other then Pokemon B/W?
Well, many DSi enhanced games,

Sonic Classic Collection
Pokemon HG/SS
Assassin's Creed 2
Mario vs. Donkey Kong Mini-Land Mayhem
Toy Story 3
The Sims 3
etc

Basically all these games can play on DS/DS Lite since region lock is ignored on these units. For DSi/DSi XL/3DS, region lock is checked and if lock is not matched, you can't play these games.
HG/SS aren't DSi enhanced, so they're not region-locked.

Rokubato

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Well, I don't own a DSi, just a DSL, so what is a "DSi enhanced" game?

Also, do you think Namco-bandai is gonna lock the new one piece game for the 3ds? ):

player1244

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Rokubato said:
Well, I don't own a DSi, just a DSL, so what is a "DSi enhanced" game?

A DSi Enhanced game is a game that works on a normal DS or DS Lite, but can use the special DSi features such as camera, SD slot, and full processing power.
Obviously, you need to play on the DSi to get these features.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk