Hacking Region Free Virtual Console

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is it possible to play other regions VC channels using Starfall or AnyregionChanger? I'm asking this because I've had enough of bad Pal 50Hz conversions and the program Free the wads is not working with every game.
I tried installing Starfall choosing "region free channels", but with every game I get a black screen and the wiimote unsyncs, although my crt Tv supports 60Hz.
Am I missing something and is there any risk of brik in doing this?

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
like he said doesn't work with every game, its a shame like i have the same problem
frown.gif

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
You have two choices:

1. Change you Wii to run games in 'NTSC' mode using 'Any Region Changer'. This will allow you to play any US/JP VC Games which will run in 60Hz, providing they have been region freed (or if you "region free channels" using StarFall).

The only downside to this is some PAL VC games won't work (as they try to run in PAL mode), PAL Gamecube games won't work and some PAL Wii Games will need to booted by Wii Backup Loader to display correctly (such as Battalion Wars 2).

2. Modify the US/JP VC wads to run in PAL60 mode using 'wwpacker15'. I've only got this to work on SNES/N64 know.

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thank you very much. I think I'll try the 1st option + Starfall, beacuse I'm interested in playing some NES and Genesis games.
I'm a little scared by Anyregion Changer, though, its wiki page is full of warnings about possible bricks... do you have any kind of advice in using it?

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
ether2802 said:
Or you can use the http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Menu_Loader and launch with "Region Free Channels - On"

*sigh*

All that allows you to do is load the the channel. By default, a PAL VC Wad can only load a PAL Channel. If it tries to load a US/JP Channel, a message will come up saying "This channel can't be booted". To get rid of that message, you have to region free the wad or use Star Fall or Menu Loader.

Now VC Channels are set up in different ways to display the image. SNES Wads for example are set up to run in one TV mode. US/JP are set up to run in NTSC while EU are set to run in PAL50 (PAL60 in some others). If you try to run a US SNES Wad in a PAL Wii, it won't display (unless your Wii is set to run in NTSC mode or the WAD is changed to run in PAL60).

A Genesis Channel runs in NTSC or PAL50 depending on what the Wii is set to, not the Channel. If you ran a US Genesis Channel on a EU Wii, it will display but run in 50Hz instead (the only way to fix this for now is to set your Wii to NTSC).

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've read the wiki carefully but something's not clear with Anyregion Changer: in order to play NTSC vc titles do I need to change only VIDEO settings to NTSC or also the AREA settings (to avoid brick)? or everything?
Also, if I want to turn back to Pal, can I do it everytime I want or is it permanent?

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Only change the Video Settings as that is universal.

And providing you have a way to load the Any Region Changer, you can change the settings back.

I managed to set my Wii's country Japanese and the Wii Shop kinda of works. It comes up with an 205906 error which means my account is screwed. But pressing 'OK' makes the Wii connect to the Japanese Wii successful. The hell?

Looks like I might have to format my Wii Shop Account to fix the problem. Thank God for WADs.

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks Radioshadow
grog.gif

RadioShadow said:
And providing you have a way to load the Any Region Changer, you can change the settings back.
Excuse my extreme noobness but do you mean I need to have HBC installed?
And.. yeah, thank god for Wads indeed, I'm seriously pissed off by the way Nintendo is treating European VC customers with those bad Pal conversions and high prices...c'mon we're in 2008!!!

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Tetsuo Shima said:
Thanks Radioshadow
grog.gif

RadioShadow said:
Excuse my extreme noobness but do you mean I need to have HBC installed?

It's optional but it's useful to have. I mean in order to put your Wii's TV Setting back to PAL, you will need to load the 'Any Region Changer' by using the HBC or Twiglight Hack.

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks for your patience. It worked!!! Sadly I discovered my TV doesn't support NTSC (everything is black & white) but the games run.

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Jax said:
Starfall also allows region free Wii, VC and WiiWare games.
For region free VC games you have to use Starfall AND Anyregion Changer. If you use only Starfall the VC games will boot but you won't be able to play (black screen and no wiimote support) because they use different Video outputs than the System they are played with. Anyregion Changer lets you change the Video mode, but your TV must support both PAL and NTSC signals, or you will see everything in black & white (like me
frown.gif
).
Wiiware is a different story.

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Tetsuo Shima said:
Thanks for your patience. It worked!!! Sadly I discovered my TV doesn't support NTSC (everything is black & white) but the games run.

On some TVs you may have to tell the TV which Video Setting to use (it might not be set to 'Auto' like I discovered on my large TV downstairs ^^').

What TV Make do you have by the way?

Tetsuo Shima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
My TV: Matsui 21M2205ST. I bought it a year ago.
It runs Pal 50Hz and Pal 60Hz without any prolem, maybe I should try with a RGB cable (I have the standard composite) to see colors in NTSC?

RadioShadow

Trophies
XP
Country
If your TV doesn't have NTSC support, a RGB cable won't fix the problem.

I found two websites that say that TV only supports 50Hz but they might not be correct. You're best bet is to locate you TV Manual and check in there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6rI8eXgDxd/?igsh=MWYybHY2YXoyM3I2cQ==