Oldies Original sd2snes with a PAL SNES that has the 60hz/region free mod, is this a good combo?

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I just bought a preowned PAL SNES that has the 60hz and region free mod, with the toggle switches sticking out the side, and a non-pro version sd2snes. Other than the fact that I'll be playing it on a 4k TV over composite video cable, is this setup all I need for the ultimate SNES experience? I couldn't quite afford a mister fpga but the modded console and sd2snes were only 250AUD. I could buy a CRT one day.

I wonder if I should have just saved for a mister instead but I worry about the games not being 100% accurate, I want it to feel just like it did in childhood.

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Original hardware is always best if you want that 90's experience :)

I would upgrade the way you are feeding it to your tv tho... composite is horrible to look at on a flatscreen.

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes I did think that might be the thing that kills it, composite on a modern TV. I wish I bought a Framemeister years ago back when they were only $250. I see there are cheap HDMI adapters for SNES at least which can't be any worse than a composite video cable. Though if I bought a Framemeister for $800 today then it would save me from needing individual adapters for every other console I might collect. Then again someone will probably invent a 4k universal upscaler any day now..

darkgunsou86

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
you can get an OSSC either from the official seller or the alixpress alternatives.
those cheap hdmi adapters uses composite signal and the video quality is horrendous.
you can get RAD2x though. PixelFX Morph and Ossc Pro are in development. retrotink 5x pro is released.
if you want to make it as ultimate as possible, you can replace the capacitors and voltage regulator plus do the jailbars fix.
the best SNES is the 1chip models or a rgb modded new style Snes.
there's something for older Snes https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=64930&start=30
https://www.aussiearcade.com/topic/90003-snes-sfc-shvc-cpu-001-2-chip-rgb-filter-mod-video-fix/

Last edited by darkgunsou86,

LoggerMan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Urgh, the SD2SNES turned out to be a Super Everdrive X5 without DSP1 chip installed. It has the SD2SNES sticker on the cart but inside it's a Super Everdrive. The person who sold it me gave me their original receipt and they definitely paid for a SD2SNES direct from Krikzz. I don't get the impression that the seller swapped out the cart themselves because they bought a FXPak Pro and sent me a picture of their Pro. Krikzz must have sold them the wrong cart in the first place.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: they be like which lite firefox exe pls