Region free gaming=more games

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by unseen4ce, Apr 14, 2011.

Apr 14, 2011
  1. unseen4ce
    OP

Newcomer unseen4ce Advanced Member

Australia
    I know the supercard allows one to play ds games from other regions on their Pal DS, as many games are never released in PAL; many many great games like Dragon Quest 5&6, many rpgs etc.

So I was hoping that since the 3DS shamefully has a region lock (allowing Nintendo to bleed aussies with obscenely expensive $60-$100 games, and a $350 system; the aussie dollar is worth more than the US dollar); that the supercard might be able to atleast remove the region lock if not being able to back-up 3DS games in the future.

This is a small feature that could be incorporated for pal gamers, I would be eternally grateful, and hope that some group will pursue this. We had an absolutely shocking release line-up and will no-doubt be disppointed with fewer releases, as in the past, especially now that Nintendo has a region-lock.

2. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    DSTwo doesn't support 3DS games or the 3DS mode, so I don't think that would be possible. Not yet, anyway. Someone would need to figure out a way to access 3DS mode first.

3. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Actually any flashcart lets you play any region games on any DS from any region. (Currently) Only the iEvo lets you use DSi enhanced features on a DSi from a different region (Pokemon B/W (J) camera on a Eu DSi). So in the end it could be possible to have a region free cart.

The region lock is optional as seen with B/W for DSi. This is also the case with the 3DS. It's up to the Devs to make it region locked or not.

But all in all Region free = more content.

-Qtis

4. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    The Gamecube and the Wii had a Freeloader, so maybe some 3rd party companies might make one for 3DS, if that's even possible?

5. Zombie_X

Member Zombie_X GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I think a Freeloader for the 3DS would work fine. Just pop it in, load it up, swap the carts, then push start to boot the new game.

6. Ammako

Canada
    That would work only if the 3DS supported swapping cards.
    I believe it wasn't possible to swap cards without turning off the power on the DSi/XL.

7. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Pretty sure you can't on 3DS either (or at least the times I've accidentally popped out a gamecard without shutting down whatever game was running angered my 3DS. [​IMG]

8. Thesolcity

Member Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

United States
    Yes it is...

9. dropper

dropper Newbie

10. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    You know region locks are nothing new nor are they there to pick on Australia.

11. Ammako

Canada
    It isn't.
    Try NDS Backup Tool and you'll see.

12. Thesolcity

United States
    Because you can only do it with retail games, not flash carts. You can switch the games from the main menu.

13. Ammako

Canada
    And what would be the point of putting a freeloader into the 3DS if you cannot get it to boot up before starting up your other cart?

From what you've typed, you're saying that the DSi can detect if you're using a flashcart or a retail cart.
    If the DSi could detect you're running a flashcart, it would just block it.

14. Thesolcity

United States
    Mmm, I'm not calling it on that one, I believe it was something having to do with some code not launching when you swap cards, not blocking. [​IMG] I thought you meant you couldn't swap games on the DSi OS period, though.