Reggie Fils-Aimé on NX "For us it's not about the specs"

When Reggie, the president of Nintendo of America, was asked yesterday about how he felt the NX stacks up against the new Xbox and Playstation consoles, he responded in an expected (but still disappointing) way.

Reggie said:
"You know for us, it’s not about specs, it’s not about teraflops, it’s not about the horsepower of a particular system. For us it’s about content. Nintendo is a content focused company. We create entertainment that makes people smile so for us, we’re focused on bringing our best entertainment to the Wii U as well as the NX in the future.

For us whatever Microsoft and Sony are doing in terms of talking about new systems, that’s for them to fight out in that red ocean. For us, we want to make sure we're bringing our best content forward and right now the reaction to Zelda has been more than we could have ever imagined."

I'm sure that we at the 'temp have a lot to say about this statement. Let us know your opinions below!

:arrow: Source: Bloomberg.com

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nintendo better build a powerful console or else it's going to lack third party support. If anything, they should've learned from the mistakes they've made with the Wii U. However, Reggie's statement does not necessarily mean it's going to be a weak console.

Reactions: Deleted User

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And I have read some of of those article, which makes me think if Nintendo does not change from the inside or at all than they need to "get the fuck off the road" so to speak.
I completely agree. I was just going against the idea that just putting out a console as or more powerful than their competition would make it do well or have good third party support.

gbaboy123

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you people are dumb don't you see this is a company offering you high quality entertainment not graphic based but overall experience base high quality instead of giving you the same games the other developers make, Nintendo is a company looking for something new, they are not interested in making repetitive fps that all the other developers make

Rockhoundhigh

Man with a mission
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I'm just waiting for any sort of definitive information. With all the rumors we've had going around so far it wouldn't even be fair to call the NX a traditional "console", handheld or otherwise. I'm hoping the specs can at least keep up with the PS4. If not then it better be damn-friendly to develop for; in other words no cool, but underutilized GPGPU functions to compensate for a weak non-x86 CPU.

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
you people are dumb don't you see this is a company offering you high quality entertainment not graphic based but overall experience base high quality instead of giving you the same games the other developers make, Nintendo is a company looking for something new, they are not interested in making repetitive fps that all the other developers make

Considering how shitty most Wii U games were, nothing high quality was provided except for SSB and now Zelda on E3.

What most people want is to just own one console instead of two or three just to play all games they want to play. If Nintendo is smart, they should build a powerful console along with good marketing and third party support, I would be all over it, but until then I'm going to stick with a console that actually has third party support.

gbaboy123

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering how shitty most Wii U games were, nothing high quality was provided except for SSB and now Zelda on E3.

What most people want is to just own one console instead of two or three just to play all games they want to play. If Nintendo is smart, they should build a powerful console along with good marketing and third party support, I would be all over it, but until then I'm going to stick with a console that actually has third party support.
that's because you don't like the other games but guess what the millions who buy Mario kart 8, Mario 3d world, donkey kong tropical freeze just to mention a few do like them and since when have you seen ubisoft, Bethesda or ea making a 3d or 2d platformers or a puzzle game like Zelda or professor layto

PedroPVJ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I see your point, but I think we actually like some of those repetitive fps now and then, and when a Nintendo console doesn't run these "front end" generic but funny games we are forced to buy another one. I didn't expected another secondary game console.

Kinqdra

GBAtemp's Official T-shirt
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Sort of disappointed.. I don't know if they're trying to "play safe" by making the console cheaper to produce or whatnot but this is the time when they should be taking bigger risks. From what he said, it does sound more like a Wii U upgrade than a completely new system, and I'm worried that it's going to lack the ability to play titles released on multiple platforms with a performance on par with its competitors (random example: black ops for the wii).
I don't know about you guys, but if I'm buying a console, I want it to be all in one. I don't want to be forced into buying a new PC/console alongside the NX just so I could enjoy new titles running at the performance they were designed to run on.

Of course, none of this is confirmed yet, but I really don't want to see another Wii U (sorry Wii U enthusiasts). And who knows, maybe they blow me away with a completely innovative super fun way of experiencing video games without the need for fancy hardware.

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
that's because you don't like the other games but guess what the millions who buy Mario kart 8, Mario 3d world, donkey kong tropical freeze just to mention a few do like them and since when have you seen ubisoft, Bethesda or ea making a 3d or 2d platformers or a puzzle game like Zelda or professor layto
Nothing really major changed regarding Mario Kart 8, it's basically a mix of Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 7 on 3DS with HD graphics. Mario 3D World is a disgrace compared to Super Mario Galaxy series. Donkey Kong, it's basically the Wii version of Donkey Kong with HD graphics. Professor Layton is not even on the Wi U, and I love the series and own a 3DS for some games it has. As for Ubisoft et al, these companies do make some decent games on PS and Xbox, which I'm sure many Nintendo fans would love to play on their Nintendo consoles instead of resorting to buy a second console just to play them.

I'm not hating on their games. I actually like Nintendo games since I've spent most of my childhood with Nintendo games, but recently they've been making some really weird decisions with their consoles and they insist that specs mean nothing, when specs could improve gameplay FPS, visuals and could attract third party support. I'm sure you wouldn't mind third party support along with first party Nintendo games.

Reactions: I pwned U!

gbaboy123

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing really major changed regarding Mario Kart 8, it's basically a mix of Mario Kart Wii and Mario Kart 7 on 3DS with HD graphics. Mario 3D World is a disgrace compared to Super Mario Galaxy series. Donkey Kong, it's basically the Wii version of Donkey Kong with HD graphics. Professor Layton is not even on the Wi U, and I love the series and own a 3DS for some games it has. As for Ubisoft et al, these companies do make some decent games on PS and Xbox, which I'm sure many Nintendo fans would love to play on their Nintendo consoles instead of resorting to buy a second console just to play them.

I'm not hating on their games. I actually like Nintendo games since I've spent most of my childhood with Nintendo games, but recently they've been making some really weird decisions with their consoles and they insist that specs mean nothing, when specs could improve gameplay FPS, visuals and could attract third party support. I'm sure you wouldn't mind third party support along with first party Nintendo games.
well then lets all tell Nintendo to make their own version of cod, assassin's creed and batman and lets tell them to go third party so they would finally do stuff that you want, because clearly people doesn't care about the different stuff Nintendo do

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
What I know is that not only have 3rd-parties asked the current president about features on the NX, but many have already given their support, including the "blurt-out" by Square-Enix. I honestly think with Reggie smirking through that question, he knows what the NX is capable of, but he's not at liberty to divulge that. Plus, this specs-war that Sony and MS are going is not something Nintendo normally does. Unless I'm mistaken, the only time where Nintendo went forward with a "look at these specs!" approach was with the N64. Not even the GC got that.

Nintendo has been, and will continue to be tight-lipped about the NX until they are ready.

Last edited by DiscostewSM,
Reactions: keven3477

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Fuck sigma, go with sugma.