Regarding official patches and romhacks

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by ar4757, Apr 28, 2016.

1. ar4757
    OP

ar4757 Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2010
    United States
    I've been trying to figure out the best way to have both my official Alpha Sapphire cartridge with save intact and patches, along with a separate icon on my home menu for, say, Star Sapphire. I know I can have a separate CIA on my home screen for the romhack, but I can make it so that it ignores patches to the original game?

That way, I'd be able to have Alpha Sapphire easily accessible for monthly distributions and such. I know HANS would make the romhack ignore the patches, but I would prefer a home menu icon. Thanks for any insight

2. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    NTR CFW?

3. AnalogMan

AnalogMan sumoCheatMenu Dev

Apr 20, 2007
    United States
    It's a huge hassle. Essentially, you'd need a Pokemon Alpha Sapphire 3DS rom file, then you'd need to unpack it with CTRTool. Once it's unpacked, you'd copy in the Star Sapphire patch and also hex edit the extracted exHeader.bin file to change the TitleID into a different one. Then you repack it using 3DS Builder into a 3DS rom file again. Finally, you'd take that 3DS rom file and run it through 3DS Simple CIA Converter to make a CIA file. This CIA would have the patch and a different TitleID, allowing it to be installed alongside the normal Sapphire and keep its own save.

For an actual tutorial on how to do all of this, see here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-decrypt-extract-rebuild-3ds-roms.383055/

Thelostrune likes this.
  4. Omegablu

Omegablu We shall not yield to the Kingdom of Nohr!

Mar 10, 2016
    United States
    Ice Tribe Village
    I've found that changing the titleid makes Alpha Sapphire not run, but hang on a black screen.

5. AnalogMan

AnalogMan sumoCheatMenu Dev

Apr 20, 2007
    United States
    The TitleID is in two places, reversed, with another checksum value in addition. The tutorial I linked uses Pokémon AlphaSapphire as the example for changing TitleID's.

6. Omegablu

Omegablu We shall not yield to the Kingdom of Nohr!

Mar 10, 2016
    United States
    Ice Tribe Village
    Did exactly that, and changed unique ID. Still no luck.

7. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    The titleID is ALSO in the regular (non-extended) NCCH/CXI header (and in the regular header you can find the product code too)!