ROM Hack Regarding official patches and romhacks

ar4757

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to figure out the best way to have both my official Alpha Sapphire cartridge with save intact and patches, along with a separate icon on my home menu for, say, Star Sapphire. I know I can have a separate CIA on my home screen for the romhack, but I can make it so that it ignores patches to the original game?

That way, I'd be able to have Alpha Sapphire easily accessible for monthly distributions and such. I know HANS would make the romhack ignore the patches, but I would prefer a home menu icon. Thanks for any insight

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I've been trying to figure out the best way to have both my official Alpha Sapphire cartridge with save intact and patches, along with a separate icon on my home menu for, say, Star Sapphire. I know I can have a separate CIA on my home screen for the romhack, but I can make it so that it ignores patches to the original game?

That way, I'd be able to have Alpha Sapphire easily accessible for monthly distributions and such. I know HANS would make the romhack ignore the patches, but I would prefer a home menu icon. Thanks for any insight
NTR CFW?

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a huge hassle. Essentially, you'd need a Pokemon Alpha Sapphire 3DS rom file, then you'd need to unpack it with CTRTool. Once it's unpacked, you'd copy in the Star Sapphire patch and also hex edit the extracted exHeader.bin file to change the TitleID into a different one. Then you repack it using 3DS Builder into a 3DS rom file again. Finally, you'd take that 3DS rom file and run it through 3DS Simple CIA Converter to make a CIA file. This CIA would have the patch and a different TitleID, allowing it to be installed alongside the normal Sapphire and keep its own save.

For an actual tutorial on how to do all of this, see here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-decrypt-extract-rebuild-3ds-roms.383055/

Reactions: Thelostrune

Omegablu

We shall not yield to the Kingdom of Nohr!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a huge hassle. Essentially, you'd need a Pokemon Alpha Sapphire 3DS rom file, then you'd need to unpack it with CTRTool. Once it's unpacked, you'd copy in the Star Sapphire patch and also hex edit the extracted exHeader.bin file to change the TitleID into a different one. Then you repack it using 3DS Builder into a 3DS rom file again. Finally, you'd take that 3DS rom file and run it through 3DS Simple CIA Converter to make a CIA file. This CIA would have the patch and a different TitleID, allowing it to be installed alongside the normal Sapphire and keep its own save.

For an actual tutorial on how to do all of this, see here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-decrypt-extract-rebuild-3ds-roms.383055/
I've found that changing the titleid makes Alpha Sapphire not run, but hang on a black screen.

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've found that changing the titleid makes Alpha Sapphire not run, but hang on a black screen.
The TitleID is in two places, reversed, with another checksum value in addition. The tutorial I linked uses Pokémon AlphaSapphire as the example for changing TitleID's.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The titleID is ALSO in the regular (non-extended) NCCH/CXI header (and in the regular header you can find the product code too)!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person