REEAAALLLY bad problem

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Xuphor, Jan 22, 2012.

Jan 22, 2012

REEAAALLLY bad problem by Xuphor at 5:37 AM (385 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Xuphor
    OP

Banned Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

United States
    Somehow my file association got screwed up. Whenever I try to open a .blend file (for Blender), it opens photoshop. I try to change the default program it opens by clicking Change on Open With, then I go and select blender, but it doesn't show up on the list, and refuses to let me set Blender for the default program. Via google I found an answer that involved going into regedit, finding HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\(Application name)\shell\open\command and changing it to the correct directory. It's already in the correct directory, so that doesn't help.

Can someone please help me?

2. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    If I remember correctly, after Blender installs, it runs "blender.exe -r" to set association of .blend files to it. See if that helps.

You can quickly do this via command prompt by first right-clicking inside the folder where blender.exe is, select "Open command prompt here", and then type the line above.

3. Xuphor
    OP

United States
    I've had it installd for years now, the .blend extention always worked without problems. This thing where it opens Photoshop and refuses to use Blender to open it is new. I've tried reinstalling Blender as well as Python, but it still isn't letting me.

Also, this problem spread to everything, not just blender. File Assosiation with any exe at all refuses to set correctly with any extension.

4. tbgtbg

Member tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

United States
    Sounds like it might be time to reinstall the OS. Make sure to backup any data you can't afford to/don't want to lose.

5. Xuphor
    OP

United States
    After fearing tbgtbg's solution (mainly due to how long it takes), I managed to find a program named "OpenWithAdd", which let me add any program I want to the default Open With dialogue. It's kinda awkward, but it worked. ^_^

6. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Well glad to see you've got it fixed...though I would still recommend a reinstall, as it sounds like you might have more problems because of that later in the future.