RedNand - Why all the hate?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by lostdotfish, Mar 13, 2017.

1. lostdotfish
    OP

lostdotfish Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2016
    Just moving over from the 3DS modding forums and about to setup my first Wii U to run my games dumped from disc to a hard drive. Over in 3DS land, Plailect's guides are very well respected. I'm seeing a lot of negative comments about wiiu.guide - just wondering why?

Is there a definitive beginners guide that I should consider instead?

Last edited by lostdotfish, Mar 13, 2017
  2. Salfay

Salfay GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2016
    France
    i think it is because the .guide for wii u advise to use RedNand.
    However, SysNand CFW is now safe and a lot of people consider it as the perfect solution.

I quite agree with them: SysCFW is simple to install and to use when you know the 2 rules
    - NEVER TOUCH the DS Title (named as "DONT TOUCH ME" after installation xD)
    - Follow correctly the guide

( i've used this guide to install sysCFW: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-setup-custom-firmware-w-sigpatches.446818/ )

3. LaPingas

LaPingas FGC Monster

Nov 2, 2016
    Israel
    Armada's Mustache
    RedNand is completely unnecessary for most of the people. And it requires a big SD card.
    CBHC/Haxchi with CFW are much better options for the most part

4. mikeyt1998

mikeyt1998 YouTube Glitcher

Aug 11, 2007
    Dalton-in-furness, north west
    I would highly, highly recommend @MattKimura 's WiiU hacking guide.

It has 4 or 5 simple steps, only 2 are two required (as haxchi and CBHC aren't necessary, but helpful) and is perfectly safe and full of info.

I used it yesterday and the WiiU is booting CFW at startup fine and dandy :)

Realistically, REDNand is for developers to see if apps they create will brick a system, I think :sleep::huh:

Last edited by mikeyt1998, Mar 13, 2017
  5. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Because on 3DS, before A9LH, emunand/rednand were a workaround for a real problem (games requiring for good reasons OS updates, but updating meaning losing CFW) - yet they had significant disadvantages: wasted space, relatively hard SD replacement, no SD hotswapping, slower booting (more of a problem with menuhax than emunand, but also applies to WiiU), slightly higher battery usage, incompatibility with running virtualized (DSi and GBA) titles because no patches ever made for twlfirm/agbfirm

3DS now has A9LH, while WiiU has no newer system version - likely forever, but certainly not now; so all that's left are the above mentioned disadvantages.

Triply so when most people involved are not knowledgeable, but noobs that followed guide X and complain they can't run Vwii anymore!!!

6. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Rednand is a pain in the ass to set up, and is no longer required to do most of our stuff. Don't be stupid by touching what you shouldn't on Sysnand, it's simple as that.

HaloEffect17 likes this.
  7. TheKitof

TheKitof Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2016
    France
    Some people use condoms. Others don't. It's up to you ;)

.:Vicious:., PR0r and Jacklack3 like this.