Trophies
XP
Country
Hi

Here is my setup:

- soft modded PAL Wii
- Official RGB cable / official composite cable
- CRT TV capable of NTSC, PAL50, PAL60
- USB loader GX (set to load through Nintendont since I didn't want to install dios mios)
- Mario kart double dash NTSC for gamecube (the issue is for all NTSC games I have found)

The problem is that I get a massive amount of red tint/screen when Nintendont starts and trying to play gamecube NTSC games. Is there any way around this without going back to crappy composite cables, region changing the Wii or slower PAL games? The whole point of doing this for me was to play faster NTSC games with the clarity of RGB.

PS - I have tried changing the loader settings to Force NTSC/PAL60/disc default and I still get red screen.

mike333

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Same with Wii games from NTSC/J region.
I guess that NTSC mode excludes RGB output option.
Might be true considering that Wiis from hentai/hamburger regions don't support RGB by default.
Component output will work fine.

ploder

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
In the end I found that it was possible to force mario kart double dash ntsc into pal60 but not other ntsc games like luigi's mansion, smash bros, mario strikers and first party games like that. You need to make sure that usb loader gx is set to force pal60 as well as nintendont. In other words it's no use putting Nintendont on 'use global' even if your global video mode is pal60. I don't know why, but it works. Should save you some time fiddling around.

So I can currently use rgb pal60 for most games ntsc or pal on my CRT tv. However, if I want good quality video output out of ntsc first party games on my pal wii then the only way is connecting my pal wii to a hdtv with component cables or suffer with composite. Other than that the obvious option is sticking with PAL games, but this leads to suffering poor quality conversions and losing native 480p option programed into the game. Not a great solution overall.

I never could find a solution for forcing those first party gamecube games into pal60. At one point I was fiddling with wimms iso tools, wii region changer etc. trying to patch the video mode to pal60 but nothing I did changed the black screen freeze when trying to use this video mode. Evidently it is not so simple and probably outside of my ability level (not many people seem to know about this stuff either). it may be possible to change offsets in the main.dol executable or it may require doing something specific to the game assets. I would really like some help on this even if just to clarify whether it is technically possible, but arduous (like codes to use the gamecube controller in games instead of wii motion controls - another thing on my wish list) or impossible (like rgb output out of a ntsc wii).

ikkibeddu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
i solved with force pal 50. everyntsc title i tried, works great. i think i tried pal60, but using the global option settings.,.so it didn't worked. i ll a try with your method..thanks :)

ploder

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i solved with force pal 50. everyntsc title i tried, works great. i think i tried pal60, but using the global option settings.,.so it didn't worked. i ll a try with your method..thanks
Yes, pal50 would probably work, but our/my ultimate goal is to play NTSC games at their proper speed on either CRT and HDTV using the best cables (RGB scart and component respectively). Otherwise we may as well just get PAL games in the first place.

deanman0

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Hi folks,

It is 6 years later but I fixed my issue with the above.

Changed the following option in the dm_booter/config.ini to set ntscj_patch=yes & videomode=pal60

[GENERAL]
activityled=yes
cheats=no
debugger=no
dm_mode=New (DM 2.1+)
dm_patch=Auto
drive_reset=no
language=Wii
nmm=no
nmm_debug=no
no_disc_patch=yes
ntscj_patch=yes
padreset=no
usb=yes
videomode=pal60
wait_for_debugger=no
widescreen=no

I should say that I am using mine with DIOS MIOS and also using dios_mios_booter to skip the wii startup altogether.

Last edited by deanman0,
Reactions: marchrius

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this is him being described +1