Homebrew Record 3ds Gameplay with Cfw?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Technically speaking the 3DS is storing frame buffers for the 3D effect and you could dump them if you wanted to, especially since the 3DS can multitask, but it would require an app that has a privilege to work in the background and that's restricted to OS components. MiiVerse has access to those, that's how it posts screenshots.

Relys

^(Software | Hardware) Exploit? Development.$
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NTR CFW can dump the systems framebuffer in VRAM to the SD card. You could modify this functionality to put it in a while loop to dump a screen every n amount of system ticks.

Reactions: Margen67

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Technically speaking the 3DS is storing frame buffers for the 3D effect and you could dump them if you wanted to, especially since the 3DS can multitask, but it would require an app that has a privilege to work in the background and that's restricted to OS components. MiiVerse has access to those, that's how it posts screenshots.

wait, i can take screen shots inside a game?

AquaX101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can with MiiVerse, then you can download them to your PC via the MiiVerse page. That's how we get our screenshots for reviews, but it's a pretty annoying process.

So every time you upload the images to miiverse and download them off the website? I wish all games had a screenshot feature that doesn't require miiverse...

Reactions: Margen67 and Foxi4

PandaMayFire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with this, idk about recording gameplay, but it would be pretty awesome to have a screenshot plugin or something like that, that didn't require Miiverse and a long tedious process

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Screenshots, sure, should be possible. I'd imagine reading the framebuffer twice every frame (once for actual screen rendering) and writing the frame and audio data to the SD card would have some pretty disastrous performance effects though. Since the SD card is too slow to instantly save the data every frame (obviously), you have to store it somewhere and you'd probably end up with a pretty large video buffer somewhere.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So every time you upload the images to miiverse and download them off the website? I wish all games had a screenshot feature that doesn't require miiverse...
You and me both - it should be an OS feature like on the Vita. Grabbing good shots for reviews is really a pain on the 3DS unless you have a capture device installed.

Reactions: Margen67 and Ericss

Romsstar

Operation Decoded
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There's a modified launcher.dat which let's you make screenshots ingame with X+Y+Select I think but I don't know if it's safe to us.
I haven't used it yet though.

Ericss

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With NTR CFW you can dump the memory. Do you or anyone else know how one would go about generating screenshots from these dumps?

You can with MiiVerse, then you can download them to your PC via the MiiVerse page. That's how we get our screenshots for reviews, but it's a pretty annoying process.
Yup, it's pretty annoying indeed. Not to mention that it can only be used with games that support the feature, and for some reason the screenshots are saved as crappy artifact-ridden jpgs :hateit:

You and me both - it should be an OS feature like on the Vita. Grabbing good shots for reviews is really a pain on the 3DS unless you have a capture device installed.
Surely you could invent a better method that doesn't require the hardware mod, Tails! :grog:

There's a modified launcher.dat which let's you make screenshots ingame with X+Y+Select I think but I don't know if it's safe to us.
I haven't used it yet though.
Are you talking about NTR CFW?

mary1517

Trophies
Website
www.behance.net
XP
Country
Poland
Maybe that's a silly question but...
Screenshots, sure, should be possible. I'd imagine reading the framebuffer twice every frame (once for actual screen rendering) and writing the frame and audio data to the SD card would have some pretty disastrous performance effects though. Since the SD card is too slow to instantly save the data every frame (obviously), you have to store it somewhere and you'd probably end up with a pretty large video buffer somewhere.
Is it maybe possible to plug the 3DS to the PC via an USB cable and record the footage to the HDD? I mean, I saw some usb cables for the 3ds, I guess they are used for charging the thing but, can you use it somehow for data transmition as well?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Maybe that's a silly question but...

Is it maybe possible to plug the 3DS to the PC via an USB cable and record the footage to the HDD? I mean, I saw some usb cables for the 3ds, I guess they are used for charging the thing but, can you use it somehow for data transmition as well?
Something like that was possible for the PSP IIRC, although I can't remember how well it worked. The 3DS doesn't have any data ports though. The charge port can only be used for charging. The only thing I could think of is making a fake SD card that actually redirects to your PC, then writing the data to that... but I'm not sure if that is feasible, and even if it is, I kind of doubt someone would spend the time and effort on it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, atleast there was some neat filler there