Record 3ds Gameplay with Cfw?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by TheZoroark007, Feb 9, 2015.

1. TheZoroark007
    OP

TheZoroark007 MK7 CT creator

Apr 2, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Lake Constance
    Is it possible that someone will create a homebrew app for Gateway;CFW that will record gameplay off the 3ds?

Margen67 likes this.
  2. josamilu

josamilu GBAtemp Fan

Feb 1, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Saturn is better than Jupiter :P
    Possible, but then there would be massive frame drops, because recording uses a lot of system power, maybe on new 3ds, but never on a normal one.

3. Rinnegatamante

Rinnegatamante GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 24, 2014
    Italy
    Bologna
    For now, it could be possible only with NTR CFW.

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Technically speaking the 3DS is storing frame buffers for the 3D effect and you could dump them if you wanted to, especially since the 3DS can multitask, but it would require an app that has a privilege to work in the background and that's restricted to OS components. MiiVerse has access to those, that's how it posts screenshots.

5. Relys

Relys Master of Computer Science

Jan 5, 2007
    United States
    NTR CFW can dump the systems framebuffer in VRAM to the SD card. You could modify this functionality to put it in a while loop to dump a screen every n amount of system ticks.

Margen67 likes this.
  6. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    wait, i can take screen shots inside a game?

Margen67 and MAXLEMPIRA like this.
  7. ChrisX930

ChrisX930 Banned

Banned
    Sep 3, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    yes, with NTR CFW only

8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You can with MiiVerse, then you can download them to your PC via the MiiVerse page. That's how we get our screenshots for reviews, but it's a pretty annoying process.

9. AquaX101

AquaX101 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 15, 2014
    United States
    Somewhere
    So every time you upload the images to miiverse and download them off the website? I wish all games had a screenshot feature that doesn't require miiverse...

Margen67 and Foxi4 like this.
  10. PandaMayFire

PandaMayFire GBAtemp Regular

Jan 24, 2015
    United States
    I agree with this, idk about recording gameplay, but it would be pretty awesome to have a screenshot plugin or something like that, that didn't require Miiverse and a long tedious process

Margen67 likes this.
  11. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Screenshots, sure, should be possible. I'd imagine reading the framebuffer twice every frame (once for actual screen rendering) and writing the frame and audio data to the SD card would have some pretty disastrous performance effects though. Since the SD card is too slow to instantly save the data every frame (obviously), you have to store it somewhere and you'd probably end up with a pretty large video buffer somewhere.

12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You and me both - it should be an OS feature like on the Vita. Grabbing good shots for reviews is really a pain on the 3DS unless you have a capture device installed.

Margen67 and Ericss like this.
  13. Romsstar

Romsstar Operation Decoded

Sep 14, 2008
    Gambia, The
    There's a modified launcher.dat which let's you make screenshots ingame with X+Y+Select I think but I don't know if it's safe to us.
    I haven't used it yet though.

Margen67 likes this.
  14. Ericss

Ericss GBAtemp Fan

Sep 1, 2010
    United States
    With NTR CFW you can dump the memory. Do you or anyone else know how one would go about generating screenshots from these dumps?

Yup, it's pretty annoying indeed. Not to mention that it can only be used with games that support the feature, and for some reason the screenshots are saved as crappy artifact-ridden jpgs :hateit:

Surely you could invent a better method that doesn't require the hardware mod, Tails! :grog:

Are you talking about NTR CFW?

Margen67 likes this.
  15. mary1517

mary1517 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    Poland
    Maybe that's a silly question but...
    Is it maybe possible to plug the 3DS to the PC via an USB cable and record the footage to the HDD? I mean, I saw some usb cables for the 3ds, I guess they are used for charging the thing but, can you use it somehow for data transmition as well?

16. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    http://3dscapture.com/

17. mary1517

mary1517 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    Poland
    WITHOUT that device obviously...

18. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    ^ I almost laughed when I saw the post above you.

19. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Something like that was possible for the PSP IIRC, although I can't remember how well it worked. The 3DS doesn't have any data ports though. The charge port can only be used for charging. The only thing I could think of is making a fake SD card that actually redirects to your PC, then writing the data to that... but I'm not sure if that is feasible, and even if it is, I kind of doubt someone would spend the time and effort on it.