Homebrew Record 3DS Gameplay to SD Card?

CyberTails

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi There

I know that Snickerstream and HzMod exists, but is there a way to actually record 3DS Gameplay directly to the SD Card? (I'm using a n2DSXL if that helps)

CyberTails

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

darkloud89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate that, but I just wish that it was longer for Speedrun Purposes (I plan on speedrunning Olaf's Quest, but Snickerstream won't work properly due to my Neighbors having WiFi Everywhere) :(

If you have access to your router config, you can try changing the broadcast channel to something that doesnt have as much traffic on it.

You can use some android apps ( if you have one) to show you what networks are on what channels. Im sure there are applications for Windows to do the same.

CyberTails

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have access to your router config, you can try changing the broadcast channel to something that doesnt have as much traffic on it.

You can use some android apps ( if you have one) to show you what networks are on what channels. Im sure there are applications for Windows to do the same.

Just tried and OBS makes it lag while recording :(

CyberTails

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait so you can view the video from the 3DS fine? It just starts lagging when you record?

You see. Snickerstream Streams my 2DS XL at 40 fps max on 2D Scenes (like the 3DS Logo), whereas on 3D Scenes (like actually Gameplay) it goes to 20 fps and 11 fps on OBS with Recording to my Hard Drive :(

darkloud89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
6 GB RAM
2.0 GHz Quad-Core AMD A8-6410 APU
Radeon R5 Beema Graphics Chip

Does that help?
Not sure but I don't know if those specs will work too well with recording. Try lowering your recording options as low as possible and see if that gives you better frame rate, then you can rule that out.

Last edited by darkloud89,

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I have a secret project called "HzRec", but never released it because its performance is utter shit due to the (not overclockable) ARM9 CPU being too slow at bitbanging the SDIO, so it has significantly less FPS compared to streaming via wifi.

But however threre is a HzMod version which can utilize the new2DS's Core3 more due to QTM not running on it, and can achieve up to 50FPS at the best conditions. Sadly due to being optimized to old3DS though, the performance drastically drops when the game is too CPU-heavy :(

On a sidenote though, you didn't specify what kind of gameplay you want to record. Video? Audio? TAS-like button inputs?

Also, I'd guess NTR can't record more than 30s due to RAM limitations. I'm pretty sure it does some very bad haxxery to be able to record that much video at a decent FPS without being completely bottlenecked by the slow File IO.

Reactions: HinaNaru Cutie

CyberTails

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a secret project called "HzRec", but never released it because its performance is utter shit due to the (not overclockable) ARM9 CPU being too slow at bitbanging the SDIO, so it has significantly less FPS compared to streaming via wifi.

But however threre is a HzMod version which can utilize the new2DS's Core3 more due to QTM not running on it, and can achieve up to 50FPS at the best conditions. Sadly due to being optimized to old3DS though, the performance drastically drops when the game is too CPU-heavy :(

On a sidenote though, you didn't specify what kind of gameplay you want to record. Video? Audio? TAS-like button inputs?

Also, I'd guess NTR can't record more than 30s due to RAM limitations. I'm pretty sure it does some very bad haxxery to be able to record that much video at a decent FPS without being completely bottlenecked by the slow File IO.

Video (Audio I can take care with a Male-to-Male Cable). Where can I find that HzMod version that you just mentioned?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu:
    hey sylv? do you know why gameyob crashes on the EZP?
    @SylverReZ forgor to tag lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Materia_tofu, Maybe ask the EZ-Flash team.
    maybe tomorrow lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    You can make a post on the DS forum about your findings, and they'll do their best to respond. They have a GBAtemp account here, you know.
    oh ye i made a post i did forget they had an account i prob shouldve tagged them in the post
    tbh
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Materia_tofu, Would've been a great idea, because they'll notice.
    +1
    im not a very bright individual, but we live and we learn
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Materia_tofu, We do learn a lot from plenty of talented individuals.
    this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update on my brother: He's home now, tired and hungry, obviously, but other than that, seems to be doing fine.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's a relief to hear. Do you know what happened?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Any idea what happened? I hope that your brother's doing good.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Well, from what I've heard from my parents, he had a seizure last night, perhaps an epileptic episode, fucking died, had a near death experience, my dad called the paramedics, they showed up, took him to the hospital, and he woke up covered in tubes, and started complaining.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    He couldn't eat until after his MRI, when he had a bomb pop.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    What matters now is that he's doing alright.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But you still don't know what it was?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Has he had seizures before?
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    apparently stress can cause seizures, my brother had one during a test once
    never had one before that, and never had one since
  • Redleviboy123 @ Redleviboy123:
    Question about game texture chanching Do i need an own game id?
    @Veho for those that want to
    experience being sonic the hedgehog
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @Veho for those that want to experience being sonic the hedgehog