Recommended GBA Emulator?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by NGamerCole, Nov 28, 2016.

1. NGamerCole
    OP

NGamerCole Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2016
    United States
    I bought a N3DS for $100 on Black Friday for the sole purpose of just having it as an emulator handheld.
    The firmware it's currently on is 11.0.0-33U, with a lot of different emulators on it, mostly from RetroArch.
    Finally figured out which SNES emulator I like the best, now trying to figure out how to best emulate GBA games. The current ones I have I'll list below, and how well they work for me.

mGBA: The worst one I can use so far, just lag.
    gpSP: Works better with some games, but still dropping framerate.
    mGBA Libreto: Works the best for me currently, for some moments it'll run 60fps and other times it'll drop pretty bad depending on the game.

Anyone have any recommendations? Or ways to make these better?

2. Jacklack3

Jacklack3 ( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here

Oct 6, 2015
    Canada
    In your basement Dick Size: 5 meters.
    Try to get CFW, if you can't right now just wait. Then use Freeshop to download offical GBA virtual console games or go on that iso site for rom injections.

3. FrankenMan

FrankenMan Member

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2016
    Trapped in your bootrom
    iirc GameYob is a gba emulator

4. Jacklack3

Oct 6, 2015
    Canada
    wat?

No it isn't it's a Gameboy and Gameboy Color emulator, not Game Boy Advance.

5. FrankenMan

FrankenMan Member

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2016
    Trapped in your bootrom
    o soz for mistake

6. NGamerCole
    OP

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2016
    United States
    To my knowledge, without forcing the N3DS to downgrade I'm not able to do that. Though I've looked into that a bit, and am hopeful that they can update it for newer versions so I can give it a go.

7. Eastonator12

Eastonator12 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 16, 2016
    United States
    I'm in the same boat. Currently on 11.1. What you should do, is download Legends Of Exidia from the eShop, if it is still there. This is for the dsiware downgrade coming in December, which allows you to downgrade with 1 3ds. The game is 8 bucks though

8. Jacklack3

Oct 6, 2015
    Canada
    Alright, well I did say if you couldn't you could wait butfsfafsfsdf
    Anyways at least you have a N3DS and not a O3DS like me. :/

9. PrometheusG.

PrometheusG. GBAtemp Fan

Jun 27, 2016
    Greece
    mGBA runs fine on my N3DS XL
    Lags on 2DS

Give it a try if you can launch homebrew

10. NGamerCole
    OP

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2016
    United States
    Since I'm currently on 11.0, I can't access the eShop. And not sure if I update it now or not will break the current set up I have.
    I certainly don't mind waiting, just like seeing the options that I have currently. I first started this on my 2DS for testing purposes, but figured the N3DS would work a lot better. My goal for this N3DS is for it to be emulator handheld for those needs. And have as many good running emulators on it as I can.
    Going back to it it does run better on N3DS, but still lags on some games I'm trying to play. I'm mostly seeing what is the best option that doesn't really lag much at all.

11. Eastonator12

Eastonator12 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 16, 2016
    United States
    Wait, do you not have access to the homebrew launcher?

12. NGamerCole
    OP

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2016
    United States
    No I have access to the Homebrew Launcher through Cubic Ninja, but at the current firmware I'm at I can't access the eShop.

13. Giodude

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    i know enabling v-sync on gpsp helps with the frame rate. Won't be cfw quality but best you'll get until you find a second 3ds with 10.7 or lower to downgrade the first one.

14. Eastonator12

Eastonator12 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 16, 2016
    United States
    Ah. Use Ctr-httpwn. Then you will be able to access the eshop. There's a mirror on this subreddit, look up ctr httpwn mirror on google and you'll find it.

15. Jacklack3

Oct 6, 2015
    Canada
    If you're trying to make it a emulator handheld then when you get CFW, virtual consoles will be your friend. Also, if you wanna decorate it either make or look for a good theme and if you want to slap some custom badges in there.

16. NGamerCole
    OP

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2016
    United States
    I do have that on my homebrew, though it would always end in an error after using it. I'll look it up though.

I've downloaded like over 200 themes for it so far and I have downloaded custom badges, granted I haven't used the badges yet cause I'm not sure how yet.

How hard is doing cfw and downgrading and all that anyway?

17. NGamerCole
    OP

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2016
    United States
    I got a mirror here, and it went through with the ctr-httpwn download, but after that I tried the eshop from the homebrew menu it didn't go much further than having a yellow screen on the bottom. Does it just take a long time to load or am I missing something.

18. Giodude

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    not that hard, just requires a second moddable 3ds to system transfer to the 1st one.

19. Raugo

Raugo GBAtemp Fan

Nov 22, 2014
    You need to exit the homebrew launcher without restart and access to the eshop from the home menu

20. NGamerCole
    OP

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2016
    United States
    From the Homebrew Launcher, used ctr-httpwn then back to homebrew menu, used the region free launcher to boot up Cubic Ninja, went back to the 3ds home menu and to the eShop. Still asks to update the system.