Recommend me some bands from this millennium

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,400
  • Replies 9
D

Deleted User

OP
I'm having trouble talking with my friends about music because I listen to older bands that they've never heard of. (I'm 16)
I need some people to recommend bands that you think I'll like

Here are my tastes:
Genres: Hard rock, rock, electric blues, heavy metal (up to thrash degree of intensity), old school rap, jazz fusion (a little), punk rock
Favorite bands: Jimi Hendrix Experience, Santana, Black Sabbath, Megadeth, Living Colour, John Lee Hooker, Dead Kennedys

What I hate:
Linkin Park, Green Day,Blink 182 (br00tal pop infused stuff) Nickelback, U2 (stupid singers), nu metal
death metal is a bunch of noise, rap songs have too much to do with semen and cars

I tried Wolfmother but their songs get boring after several listens. An Endless Sporadic is good

Sorry if I offended anyone
smileipb2.png

phantomatt

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.last.fm
XP
Country
Canada
DISTURBED!
i dunno. do they fit the bill? shinedown (cept for their 'second chance' single. ew...but try out the song 'devour' ) and story of the year (new cd is pretty good, the black swan is what it's called. and their old stuff's pretty tight too) are good as well

a lil maximum the hormone never hurt either (aha j-metal or whatever it is makes me smile sometimes)

Agjsdfd

My title
Trophies
XP
Country
Well you hate few popular ones, lol. I personally dont listen to every song from every album. I only listen to few seletected ones, so in my case few deathmetal and so on arent so bad.

Anyways give em a try:
Breaking Benjamin,
Bullets for my Valantine,
Sum 41,
Korn,
Anberlin,
Audioslave,
Chevelle,
Creed,
Crossfade,
Evanescence,
Finger Eleven,

Personally my fav albums are from Breaking Benjamin("Phobia") and from Anberlin("Cities")

Most of the listed above fall into alternative/alternative rock.

edit: updated the list
smile.gif

D

Deleted User

OP
Forgot to add nu metal as something I don't like. I'll try Bullet for my Valentine
As for Maximum the Hormone, I really liked that Zetsoubo Billy song, but I don't see myself getting any more of their songs cause I wont understand the lyrics (any good instrumental suff?)

Blue Zoidberg

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lets see here...

Modern Rock: The Gaslight Anthem (fusion of post-punk and jersey rock), Hot Water Music (rock ranging from bluesy to indie)
Indie Rock: The Cab (Las Vegas boys with a crooner lead), Vampire Weekend (all around classy sound with afro-inspired drums)
Hard Rock/Metal: Trivium (modern metal with old metal roots), Wednesday 13 (think Alice Cooper meets Rev Horton Heat)
Rap/R&B/Etc: Atmosphere (smooth jazz inspired rap beat with clean, meaningful lyrics), Flobots (denver group, alternative hip-hop with social conscious lyrics)
Electric Beat: MGMT (british lads who know their way around a mic and synth), Does It Offend You Yeah? (more british lads, but with more upbeat, funny songs)
Folk Inspired: Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band (3 piece group with wonderful folk guitar work), Raconteurs (Jack White [white stripes] meets the Greenhorns)

With what you've listed, I'd also suggest looking into Rockabilly (mix of classic rock and punk) and Psychobilly (rockabilly with a horror/sci-fi twist):
Reverend Horton Heat (Texas rockabilly at its finest)
Mad Sin (one of the longest, and well respected, psychobilly groups)

And, though not new, here's some groups 'up your alley' to try: Faith No More, Cherry Poppin' Daddies, Social Distortion, The Clash, and Mr. Muddy Waters.

I don't personally condone or approve of any of these groups, I simply work in a music orientated store and have to know something about music

-BZ

Rebound

Trophies
XP
Country
Avenged Sevenfold
Disturbed, some people say they're Nu Metal but they reall aren't
Rise Against
All That Remains
Breaking Benjamin

Maktub

Trophies
XP
Country
Try "Re-Shin-Struction" (an album). It's new-ish, but you'll like it.
Also:

Catpeople, Kashmir, Maxïmo Park, Marlango (jazz-ish, you might like it), Metric, The Raconteurs, The Kills, The Vines, We're Scientists.

That is, an approach to the kind of music you like as it has diverged in the last years (not trying to stuff you up with the kind of music you don't like trying to hit the key on making you admit you like this or that nu-metal song as others seem to be trying).

Enjoy.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know I do this every time a similar thread comes up but folk metal. It is DVD time so I can not be bothered to rattle off a list but a simple video search should net you some of the best.

You favourite bands list is fairly similar to mine.

Digeman

Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't really gotten the whole labling all different types of sub-genres etc.etc (mostly cus i haven't given a rats ass). But the band i think has put up lots of good music is System of a down. It kinda takes a little time to get used to their style but ya gotta let it digest ;P I can't really figure out other recent bands that's released lots and lots of awesome music, only some songs here and there. If you want some suggestions pm me =P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night