Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gumbyx84 said:
Dude do you really have to argue about this again? A flame war almost broke out in another thread last night. I'm trying not to take sides but its getting hard with everyone jumping down each others throats.

My only comment on this is that if they did screw people over, they have at least cleaned up there act. You can remember what they have done, but at some point you have to let it go. Don't be a dick. If people didn't let things go, Ford would have gone out of business long ago. If you don't know what I'm talking about, go look up the Ford Pinto case.Who's jumping down who's throat? Who's being a dick?
People like to forget about the past, I'm just being a reminder. It's not a vendetta against RHS, because I've been recommending people not buying from Lightake too (though it's kind of hard to buy from them since their site is down, but I will be if it comes up again).

Real Hot Stuff scammed it's customers. Period. You cannot argue that point. It happened.
It wasn't a mistake, it wasn't a bad batch of cards, it wasn't anyone's fault but theirs.
Because of that I do not feel the should be considered a reputable place, since scamming kind of negates the whole 'reputable' aspect.

As for your Ford Pinto point...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Pinto#Schwartz_study
QUOTEIn a 1991 paper, The Myth of the Ford Pinto Case, for the Rutgers Law Review, Gary T. Schwartz[5] said the case against the Pinto was not clear-cut. According to his study, the number who died in Pinto rear-impact fires was well below the hundreds cited in contemporary news reports and closer to the 27 recorded by a limited National Highway Traffic Safety Administration database. Given the Pinto's production figures (over 2 million built), this was not substantially worse than typical for the time. Schwartz said that the car was no more fire-prone than other cars of the time, that its fatality rates were lower than comparably sized imported automobiles, and that the supposed "smoking gun" document that plaintiffs said demonstrated Ford's callousness in designing the Pinto was actually a document based on National Highway Traffic Safety Administration regulations about the value of a human life — rather than a document containing an assessment of Ford's potential tort liability.

Schwartz's study said:
  • The Pinto Memo wasn't used or consulted internally by Ford, but rather was attached to a letter written to NHTSA about proposed regulation. When plaintiffs tried to use the memo in support of punitive damages, the trial judge ruled it inadmissible for that purpose (p. 1021, Schwartz study).
  • The Pinto's fuel tank location behind the axle, ostensibly its design defect, was "commonplace at the time in American cars" (p. 1027).
  • The precedent of the California Supreme Court at the time not only tolerated manufacturers trading off safety for cost, but apparently encouraged manufacturers to consider such trade-offs (p. 1037).
Bold added by me.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Real Hot Stuff is the place I got my FIRST FLASHCART EVER!

a Supercard SD + Superkey Bundle...goddamnit those were some good times
rolleyes.gif

I also got my original R4 there as well

have zero complaints about them

cookiemonbc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have purchased four cards from RHS and have had positive experiences with all of my transactions. I live in NY and can vouch for the snow these last few weeks and how many businesses have been slowed to a crawl. All three of my R4's work well with the Wood Firmware and my CycloDS works like a charm. All arrived within three days of my order packaged in authentic tins/boxes as described in the community and on the official website, respectively. I only wish that I could have ordered my GBATemp SC from them
mellow.gif
If it makes you feel any better, the weather added about 8-10 days for the items I ordered from DealExtreme before the Chinese New Year hit.

Dark Blade

Flippin' Insane
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey I bought my Acekard 2i from this website while in North Carolina.

Absolutely no problems at all. Card reached in time, in good condition and undamaged.

In short, it's a pretty good place to order from.

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
You has no patience son.

Mine arrived even when they said bad weather. usually when you order stuff in the morning, it gets shipped out in the afternoon.

EDIT: Didn't read your first edited post. :/

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
gumbyx84 said:
Dude do you really have to argue about this again? A flame war almost broke out in another thread last night. I'm trying not to take sides but its getting hard with everyone jumping down each others throats.

My only comment on this is that if they did screw people over, they have at least cleaned up there act. You can remember what they have done, but at some point you have to let it go. Don't be a dick. If people didn't let things go, Ford would have gone out of business long ago. If you don't know what I'm talking about, go look up the Ford Pinto case.Who's jumping down who's throat? Who's being a dick?
People like to forget about the past, I'm just being a reminder. It's not a vendetta against RHS, because I've been recommending people not buying from Lightake too (though it's kind of hard to buy from them since their site is down, but I will be if it comes up again).

Real Hot Stuff scammed it's customers. Period. You cannot argue that point. It happened.
It wasn't a mistake, it wasn't a bad batch of cards, it wasn't anyone's fault but theirs.
Because of that I do not feel the should be considered a reputable place, since scamming kind of negates the whole 'reputable' aspect.

As for your Ford Pinto point...
QUOTEIn a 1991 paper, The Myth of the Ford Pinto Case, for the Rutgers Law Review, Gary T. Schwartz[5] said the case against the Pinto was not clear-cut. According to his study, the number who died in Pinto rear-impact fires was well below the hundreds cited in contemporary news reports and closer to the 27 recorded by a limited National Highway Traffic Safety Administration database. Given the Pinto's production figures (over 2 million built), this was not substantially worse than typical for the time. Schwartz said that the car was no more fire-prone than other cars of the time, that its fatality rates were lower than comparably sized imported automobiles, and that the supposed "smoking gun" document that plaintiffs said demonstrated Ford's callousness in designing the Pinto was actually a document based on National Highway Traffic Safety Administration regulations about the value of a human life — rather than a document containing an assessment of Ford's potential tort liability.

Schwartz's study said:
  • The Pinto Memo wasn't used or consulted internally by Ford, but rather was attached to a letter written to NHTSA about proposed regulation. When plaintiffs tried to use the memo in support of punitive damages, the trial judge ruled it inadmissible for that purpose (p. 1021, Schwartz study).
  • The Pinto's fuel tank location behind the axle, ostensibly its design defect, was "commonplace at the time in American cars" (p. 1027).
  • The precedent of the California Supreme Court at the time not only tolerated manufacturers trading off safety for cost, but apparently encouraged manufacturers to consider such trade-offs (p. 1037).
Bold added by me.
You are forgetting one major part of the Pinto case: Ford decided it was cheaper to pay out wrongful death lawsuits then to fix the Pinto. Then they lied about it. Much like how you are saying RHD sent out fake cards (cheaper then not selling them at all) and lied about them being real and feigning innocence. As you say RHD did, they screwed people over. Do you think that is ethical? Also, while I can't dis-prove what you are claiming happened, I find it funny that so many people have had next to no problems with RHD since then, even during the time you say this happened. If they did screw up, they cleaned up their act. Which is commendable (i guess). You don't have to forget that they f-ed up, but you do need to GET OVER IT.

As for the report, there are many reports with conflicting findings, but funny how the Pinto case is still talked about in Business ethics courses.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gumbyx84 said:
You are forgetting one major part of the Pinto case: Ford decided it was cheaper to pay out wrongful death lawsuits then to fix the Pinto. Then they lied about it. Much like how you are saying RHD sent out fake cards (cheaper then not selling them at all) and lied about them being real and feigning innocence. As you say RHD did, they screwed people over. Do you think that is ethical? Also, while I can't dis-prove what you are claiming happened, I find it funny that so many people have had next to no problems with RHD since then, even during the time you say this happened. If they did screw up, they cleaned up their act. Which is commendable (i guess). You don't have to forget that they f-ed up, but you do need to GET OVER IT.

As for the report, there are many reports with conflicting findings, but funny how the Pinto case is still talked about in Business ethics courses.No. I did not forget that point, but you apparently didn't bother to read my response.

Again, I refer you to the Schwartz Study, and to a point I already quoted (but did not bold):
QUOTE said:

Also the $200,000 valuation of life, which was to show the callousness of Ford in the "Pinto Memo", was determined by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, not Ford and it was not related to the Pinto at all.
QUOTE said:
[T]he supposed "smoking gun" document that plaintiffs said demonstrated Ford's callousness in designing the Pinto was actually a document based on National Highway Traffic Safety Administration regulations about the value of a human life — rather than a document containing an assessment of Ford's potential tort liability.
Schwartz Study
The NHTSA context of the report, however, helps show why this point is somewhat unfair: $200,000 is the value-of-life that NHTSA itself had developed in a 1972 study calculating the social cost of motor-vehicle accidents.31

31. NHTSA, Societal Costs of Motor Vehicle Accidents: Preliminary Report 1, 2 (1972)

And where did they lie?
Or are you just making this up to better your (lacking) point?

cynful09

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I am an employee at RHS. I was employed when this incident occurred. Occasionally I surf the boards to see if there are problems customers have with us or just general information. I usually do not post, but I feel the need to respond to this thread because I believe our (RHS) side of the story should be heard. Those who read this may take it or leave it.

In December of 2009, we received new Acekard 2i's that had a chip showing in the front and was configured to work with firmware 1.4 without an update. A couple weeks into selling this version, there was a big uproar about clones, etc. Since we are located in the US, we had a partner in China who was our eyes and ears and who we relied on to give us information. We were told that the carts were real, that they came from a divided Acekard team, and that a fix would be put out (We tried to contact Acekard too, but they never responded until they made the official announcement). We honestly believed that this information was true and relayed it to our customers and continued to sell the clone cartridges up until early February 2010. It was to our dismay that the information we received was apparently false and we were then branded a liar and a scammer.

Yes, we foolishly believed in information that was given to us by a partner. We are no longer working with that partner. No, we have never lied or scammed customers. In this business, where reputation can make or break you, there was no reasoning for us to do that. We are fully committed to rectifying situation, and should anyone still have a clone cartridge they can open a ticket: http://realhotstuff.com/ticket_create.php and let us know.

Like I said, you are entitled to your own opinion; whether or not you believe me, I just wanted speak up for my company.

Reactions: 1 person

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Or are you just making this up to better your (lacking) point?I'm going off the business ethic course where I first learned about the "finer" details of the Pinto case. The Pinto Case was only used to make my point that a company can change and while their prior digressions should not be ignored, one should keep in mind what they have done to remedy that. Its your purgative if you want to hate RHS for what they have done, but you don't have to track down ever thread they are mentioned and bash them.

QUOTE(cynful09 @ Feb 3 2011, 12:34 PM) Hello. I am an employee at RHS. I was employed when this incident occurred. Occasionally I surf the boards to see if there are problems customers have with us or just general information. I usually do not post, but I feel the need to respond to this thread because I believe our (RHS) side of the story should be heard. Those who read this may take it or leave it.

In December of 2009, we received new Acekard 2i's that had a chip showing in the front and was configured to work with firmware 1.4 without an update. A couple weeks into selling this version, there was a big uproar about clones, etc. Since we are located in the US, we had a partner in China who was our eyes and ears and who we relied on to give us information. We were told that the carts were real, that they came from a divided Acekard team, and that a fix would be put out (We tried to contact Acekard too, but they never responded until they made the official announcement). We honestly believed that this information was true and relayed it to our customers and continued to sell the clone cartridges up until early February 2010. It was to our dismay that the information we received was apparently false and we were then branded a liar and a scammer.

Yes, we foolishly believed in information that was given to us by a partner. We are no longer working with that partner. No, we have never lied or scammed customers. In this business, where reputation can make or break you, there was no reasoning for us to do that. We are fully committed to rectifying situation, and should anyone still have a clone cartridge they can open a ticket: http://realhotstuff.com/ticket_create.php and let us know.

Like I said, you are entitled to your own opinion; whether or not you believe me, I just wanted speak up for my company.
Had a feeling this is what happened. RHS doesn't test their product because they trust their partner/distributor to be honest with them. You can't fault them for that. Its interesting that twiztidsinz failed to mention that RHS offered replacements. I doubt he mentioned this in any of his posts. Thanks for giving RHS's side of the story, cynful09.

I'm leaving it at that as this thread has gone far off topic and will soon become a flame-fest. Heck it was the making of a flame war the second it was posted. Hopefully it gets locked before it gets any worse.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
gumbyx84 said:
I'm going off the business ethic course where I first learned about the "finer" details of the Pinto case. The Pinto Case was only used to make my point that a company can change and while their prior digressions should not be ignored, one should keep in mind what they have done to remedy that. Its your purgative if you want to hate RHS for what they have done, but you don't have to track down ever thread they are mentioned and bash them.

I'm leaving it at that as this thread has gone far off topic and will soon become a flame-fest. Heck it was the making of a flame war the second it was posted. Hopefully it gets locked before it gets any worse.

Just ignore him. he does the same thing if anyone even mentions MENUdo around him.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gumbyx84 said:
Heck it was the making of a flame war the second it was posted. Hopefully it gets locked before it gets any worse.So it's the start of a flame war for mentioning what happened in the past?
QUOTE(TwinRetro @ Feb 3 2011, 03:11 PM) Just ignore him. he does the same thing if anyone even mentions MENUdo around him.
I love how anything short of dick-slurping praise is flaming...

And for the record, I never had an issue with Menudo, it's creator, it's developers.
My issue was the people who didn't know their ass from their elbow, and even less about the project, blathering on about things that were IMPOSSIBLE for the DS to do, but would MAGICALLY be included in Menudo and the ones who went around spamming what amounted to 'OMG MENUDO DUES THIS KEWL THING BUT I KANT TELL U LOLOL'.
The same people who went on to make up absolute bullshit about me 'eating my foot' if Menudo came out.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
Just ignore him. he does the same thing if anyone even mentions MENUdo around him.

I don't think I've ever seen him say anything positive, I've seen him bash noobs for asking noob question

He's always bitter for some reason.

gumbyx84

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys leave it be. We don't need a flame war. I really wish you could request a thread be locked. It totally off-topic, even if the topic was flame bait (intentional or not).

Freek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just wanted to add my 2cents about RHS

i ordered an Acekard2i from RHS on 2/7/11 and got it today 2/10/11...4 days isnt too bad at all...a lot better than taking a 2 or more weeks to get it from some of the china stores

for 18$ i would totally recommend RHS for anyone thinking about buying an Ak2i

its a legit Ak2i with HWID 81..no bulge on the front...no contact issues...all is good with it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I thought PS4/5 and Xbox One emulation would be kind of easy since they basically just a PC
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    they sorta are a pc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They haslve dedicated on board chips that aren't tweaked like x64/x32 afaik
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    but its a custom os for both of them
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    designed for only specific hardware
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    so you have to learn to emulate that specific hardware which isn't as easy as you'd think
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's a locked down Linux distro basically
    I think the only custom hardware is to do with the SSD and a security chip
    Probably combined in one chip
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They place married security chips onto boards iirc
    Damn Frontier is offering 5Gbps now lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I honestly can't recommend any of the big 3 this years I'd say buy a rog ally z1 if we're being honest
    Honestly after the PS3 and 360 I just went full PC
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Every games basically cross platform they only have about 6 titles making it worth the $600 price tag
    Didn't see much need for a console, all the advantages have kind of disappeared
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    the ps3 used to support installing linux because the cpu was so powerful
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Then the games are $70 and they want to reboot and refresh the same game every year
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The ps3 was always Linux they just found a way to make it open source
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    I'm avoiding buying from the big 3 at all atm
    At one point PC game pads where poorly supported, loading a game had setup, it was complicated. Now it's almost as easy as a console.
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    nintendo needs to up their game soon
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah even bt support for Xbox one controllers are just as easy as pairing
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    considering the steamdeck can emulate the switch (yikes) theres almost 0 reason to buy the switch apart from playing online and using cartridges
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Xinput and 360 dongles were a driver nightmare
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember having to manually put in drivers and what not
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I remember having to manually put in drivers and what not