OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i dropped an e-mail to this site they assured me that this is a japanese kingston. however, the picture on their site looks nothing like the japanese kingston i purchased from gameyeaaah. this looks like some older model verson, or something.

what do others think?

http://sky2k.com/shop/kingston-microsd-memory-2gb-p-355.html

-another world

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The 2GB Japanese Kingston microSD's usually say "C02G" on them. But it's possible that the picture on that website isn't the actual card they're selling. Sometimes they use generic photos for multiple products.

-Bri

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
when i challenged them on it i received an e-mail reply that only said "YEAH, it is" in regards to if it was a japanse kingston. there shipping is 10.99 from toronto to ny, which is a bit high. i'm thinking of just buying the normal 2gb kingston off newegg for 9.99 and 3.99 shipping. there really aren't that many issues with kits and msd these days according to the recent compatibility list over at scorpei.com.

it very well is a stock photo, but i'm still curious from what kingston. every version i've seen since i got into this scene says 2gb on it, that is why i am asking.

cheers,
-aw

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Maybe they Photoshopped out the "2GB" on it so that they could use the image for different cards. Although I found the same photo you referenced on a different site for this product but I don't believe it's for a Japanese one since they also have the one mentioned below (which looks like it IS Japanese).

Here is a 2GB for $12.50 with free shipping, and it appears to be the Japanese one if the picture is accurate (it has "C02G" and "JAPAN" on it).

ETA: I have bought another microSD card from meritline, and indeed the product I got was exactly what was pictured on their site, so I suspect that the second link above is truly a Japanese card (plus it's slightly more expensive than the other Kingston 2GB card on their site which is probably NOT a Japanese card). You might want to e-mail them and make sure though.

-Bri

sk3tch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have bought a 2GB Kingston microSD from Amazon and NewEgg in the past month. NewEgg's was Taiwan and Amazon's was Japan. Knowing this, I decided to buy a 1GB Kingston microSD from Amazon...it ended up being a Taiwan.

I did speed tests using cf_bench on both 2GB units and there was very little difference:

Japan
0.646ms RAT

Taiwan
0.662ms RAT

So just buy from a reputable dealer and be done. Hope you're lucky...and if not, it isn't a big deal.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
bri: when you search the item code number you can find the one you first linked to. if they are pulling product my item code you could end up with that instead of the one that has "japan" printed on it. but like i said most of the compatibility wiki sites are showing that all of the kingstons have around the same benchmarks, with current firmwares.

-aw

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The two I linked to have two different item codes (116-228-001 for the one that I suspect is non-Japanese and 116-229-001 for the one that I suspect is Japanese). Also, one of them comes with one adapter, and one comes with two (an SD adapter and a miniSD adapter). Two adapters, Japanese 2GB microSD card, and plastic carrying case seems like a good deal for $12.50 and free shipping.

They also have this one for $15.49, which I know comes with a Japanese card (I've ordered two of them before) and a nifty microSD reader.

-Bri

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Another World said:
i dropped an e-mail to this site they assured me that this is a japanese kingston. however, the picture on their site looks nothing like the japanese kingston i purchased from gameyeaaah. this looks like some older model verson, or something.

what do others think?

http://sky2k.com/shop/kingston-microsd-memory-2gb-p-355.html

-another world

I've used that shop, and they're reputable in my book.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Bri said:
The two I linked to have two different item codes (116-228-001 for the one that I suspect is non-Japanese and 116-229-001 for the one that I suspect is Japanese). Also, one of them comes with one adapter, and one comes with two (an SD adapter and a miniSD adapter). Two adapters, Japanese 2GB microSD card, and plastic carrying case seems like a good deal for $12.50 and free shipping.

They also have this one for $15.49, which I know comes with a Japanese card (I've ordered two of them before) and a nifty microSD reader.

-Bri

wooopps!! sorry bri i mixed that up! =)

-aw

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i just grabbed one of the 15.50 kits with free shipping. i'm looking forward to having a second msd to hold a few gigs of roms and apps.

thanks for the heads up and comments.

*edit*
got the card a few days ago. took about 5 days with free shipping, which i can't complain about at all. works perfect out of the box in my r4.

-aw

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: idk how hot of a take this is, but science as a subject sucks