Hacking Real 64GB Micro SDXC (w/adapter) formatted to fat32 (32kb clusters) "could not detect an SD Card."

3dshaxnoobX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SanDisk Ultra 64GB Ultra Micro SDXC UHS-I/Class 10 Card with Adapter (SDSQUNC-064G-GN6MA) [Newest Version]

no, the card is not fake (bought from bestbuy, all 64GB can be written to perfectly fine on a PC) and all fake card test programs pass.

yes, the card was formatted to fat32 with 32kb clusters (i've done this many times before with other sd cards with no problems) So far I've tried formatting with easus partition master pro and guifat32format.

This is especially frustrating since I just returned a 64GB SDXC that did have bad blocks (maybe a fake) BUT DID WORK ON 3DS. Now I got this new 64GB SDXC card today (a SanDisk ultra micro w/adapter) and isnt even detected by the 3DS! This is so frustrating! Any miracle formatting tool im not aware of. I thought the ultra series would be compatible for sure.

and if my card simply isnt compatible and cant be fixed by formatting, how about a list of confirmed working 64GB and 128GB SDXC on 3DS?

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of nothing work, maybe it's your 3DS? Wild guess other than the card itself: the 3DS NAND may be corrupted; card reader port is defective; your PC USB port/card reader port is defective (discharging higher voltage than standard that corrupts the card. Try to use different PC). Sandisk Ultra 64GB, Sandisk Extreme Pro I can confirm will work with O3DS and N3DS.

Last edited by tivu100,

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's worth mentioning that officialy Nintendo doesn't support the use of SDXC cards with 3DSes.

It doesn't mean they won't work, but it may mean they don't work properly or as expected.

Which may be the reason the previous card worked, but this one doesn't, especially if they're different brands (you didn't stipulate either way).

3dshaxnoobX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This card is a SanDisk Ultra Micro 64GB SDXC w/adapter, the other card that worked on the same 3DS was a SanDisk Extreme (non micro) 64GB SDXC (worked fine with 3DS but had bad blocks).

I could try formating as primary instead of logical, I doubt it will make a difference (never had to make it primary with other cards) but I'm desperate so will try anything.

What really pisses me off about it is the 3DS instantly says "could not detect an SD Card." like it dosent even try to read it. Then for added insult when I take it out it says "sd card removed". Hey wait a second 3DS, I thought you couldnt detect the sd card so how did I remove one? lol

Reactions: Quantumcat

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What really pisses me off about it is the 3DS instantly says "could not detect an SD Card." like it dosent even try to read it. Then for added insult when I take it out it says "sd card removed". Hey wait a second 3DS, I thought you couldnt detect the sd card so how did I remove one? lol
I had an issue like this when I had a faulty card. Basically what it means is that it detects that a microSD is inserted, but it can't read it. So then it will still bitch at you when you remove it with the power on.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
SanDisk Ultra 64GB Ultra Micro SDXC UHS-I/Class 10 Card with Adapter (SDSQUNC-064G-GN6MA) [Newest Version]

no, the card is not fake (bought from bestbuy, all 64GB can be written to perfectly fine on a PC) and all fake card test programs pass.

yes, the card was formatted to fat32 with 32kb clusters (i've done this many times before with other sd cards with no problems) So far I've tried formatting with easus partition master pro and guifat32format.

This is especially frustrating since I just returned a 64GB SDXC that did have bad blocks (maybe a fake) BUT DID WORK ON 3DS. Now I got this new 64GB SDXC card today (a SanDisk ultra micro w/adapter) and isnt even detected by the 3DS! This is so frustrating! Any miracle formatting tool im not aware of. I thought the ultra series would be compatible for sure.

and if my card simply isnt compatible and cant be fixed by formatting, how about a list of confirmed working 64GB and 128GB SDXC on 3DS?
Maybe the adapter is causing problems. Try a different one.

3dshaxnoobX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
funny you guys mention trying a different adapter, I already had the same thought, problem is I cant find any (I know I have some in my house somewhere).

The contacts dont need blown, its brand new lol. I'll let you guys know if I ever get it working.

EDIT: found a different adapter and it does the same thing so we can rule that out as the problem. it must be the card itself or the way its formatted.

Last edited by 3dshaxnoobX,

3dshaxnoobX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HOLY SHIT FORMATTING AS PRIMARY INSTEAD OF LOGICAL DID THE TRICK! Thanks joemama1995!

Seems that formatting SDXC to primary is required for some cards work on 3ds. Programs like fat32guiformat shouldn't be recommend since they default to logical.

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HOLY SHIT FORMATTING AS PRIMARY INSTEAD OF LOGICAL DID THE TRICK! Thanks joemama1995!

Seems that formatting SDXC to primary is required for some cards work on 3ds. Programs like fat32guiformat shouldn't be recommend since they default to logical.
Perhaps it's the way you set up your PC. I used (fat32) guiformart for many cards for different 3DS consoles, and they were all formatted as primary partition.

Anyways, congratulations. Enjoy!

Reactions: peteruk

3dshaxnoobX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps it's the way you set up your PC. I used (fat32) guiformart for many cards for different 3DS consoles, and they were all formatted as primary partition.

Anyways, congratulations. Enjoy!

no, because I used the same pc,same 3ds,same format program on a different 64GB SDXC card and it did not need to be changed to primary for the 3ds to detect it. It looks like in rare cases SDXC need to be primary along with being Fat32

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no, because I used the same pc,same 3ds,same format program on a different 64GB SDXC card and it did not need to be changed to primary for the 3ds to detect it. It looks like in rare cases SDXC need to be primary along with being Fat32
Point is: when formatting any SD/mSD on my PC with guiformat, the cards were all ended up as primary partition and FAT32. In your previous post, you said it's guiformat problem for formatting into logical partition, which is not true. I pointed out that may be the way you set up your PC that makes SD formatters ended up formatting into logical partition.

Last edited by tivu100,
Reactions: peteruk

3dshaxnoobX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure how my pc can be setup incorrectly when dealing with formatting sd cards lol. Like I said, until tonight guiformat has made ever sdhc and sdxc card work on my 3ds until the card I bought today. If you would have formatted this SDXC card I bought today on your pc you would have had the same result. I had to use easus partion master and manually set it to primary to get this stubourn card to work. Im sure if I bought another 10 sdxc they all would work fine with guiformat... its now clear that in rare cases you need to use another formating program that allows manually setting primary.

64thatonesciencyguy666

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now that I got some help on this, I need to pay my dues. Formatting properly and ensuring it was primary and not logical was not enough for me. I needed to do one more step to get it to work; using MiniTool Partion Wizard (downloading this software was sketchy for me, it forced a download of chromium, (not google chrome?) and I believe is installed a virus, ty windows defender) I changed the Partion Type ID to Fat32 to from what it was, Ex-something, but I'm sure it will work for any Partion Type ID your card comes with.

I'm using a MicroSDXC U3 Samsung EVO Select 64 GB with a Samsung SD Adapter "Samsung 64GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSDXC EVO Select Memory Card with Adapter (MB-ME64GA/AM)"
in my Super Smash Bros. Edition Nintendo 3DS XL. I'm so glad that I found a fix, I would've been so pissed had I bought a 64 gb micro sd that didn't even work for my 3DS.
Anyway good luck! Tell us if you have any other problems.

Evanite

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I NEED HELP! I just bought a 64GB SanDisk SDXC and I did everything I needed to do in order to make sure it worked, and it's still not working! What do I do?!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Lonely here
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Lonely here