Reading Sd card with homebrew

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by James213, May 27, 2016.

?

Anyone unable to read sd card files with homebbrew?

1. Homebrew

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Missing files

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James213
    OP

James213 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 27, 2016
    United States
    HomebreW does not display the games on my sd card. Any ideas? Everything else seems to be working fine.
    Left out that I am using a wii.

Last edited by James213, May 27, 2016
  2. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Are you using USB Loader GX, or the SD Card Manager for external storage present in Vanilla Wii's.

3. James213
    OP

James213 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 27, 2016
    United States
    Usb loader. I can see the files that are on the sd card and launch them but they do not appear on the sd card brewer channels.

4. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    If the application works but not the games on the SD Card. It means you will have to use a USB Device. That's why it's called USB Loader.

Dum dum :P.

You can see a list of compatible USB Devices here;
    http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Devices_Compatibility_List

I would recommend using a 200GB Hard Drive since games are about 2GB - 9GB once installed on the Hard Drive.

5. James213
    OP

James213 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 27, 2016
    United States
    I am confused. From the home page of the homebrewer, I have an option to look at the sd files. That screen is not populated.

6. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    If your Wii crashes loading up USB Loader. It's likely the problem is you will need the WAD's installed. However I'm not aware of where you get those WAD's as sources for installing it are serverley limited.

And by that I mean how to guides
    You can probably try using WAD Manager, to do so.

(In other words becuase USB Loader GX is just a HBC App so far with no config file. It will not work until you install it on the Wii, or put the files on your Windows PC.)

Edit:
    Went ahead, and tried to look for sources. This may be the best source for figuring out the installation.

https://code.google.com/archive/p/usbloader-gui/wikis/Installation.wiki

Original source is here:
    https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/backup-launchers/usb/gx

Notice the sources. Do not follow the Softmodding guide, as it will brick your Wii. Please follow the link above to do so.

Last edited by petethepug, May 27, 2016
  7. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    USB Loader GX doesn't support loading Wii games from SD, only USB. You will need a custom IOS installed to run them. d2x in slots 249/250 is recommended and you can use ModMii to create the WADs for them. (If you are using a Wii-U in vWii mode you cannot use the wads ModMii builds.)

8. petethepug

petethepug PUG

May 2, 2016
    United States
    COMPUTER
    Figured out there was another guide more specific on how to install it properly. It's slightly outdated but it gives a precise view on how to install this correctly

If you notice this is from 2015. It may be enough information to understand what to patch, and such. Compared to other guides this is the least confusing guide to follow.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/what-exactly-do-i-need-to-install-the-usb-loader-gx.403354/

Notice post #2.

9. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Yes, that's all you need. If your Wii isn't connected to the internet you have to go the ModMii route on your PC, though.

d2x Installer has to download the Nintendo IOS wads so it can patch them but it doesn't require the extra step of installing them afterwards.