Reading Copied CD's as real ones

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by kicknhorse, Jul 12, 2010.

Jul 12, 2010
  1. kicknhorse
    OP

Member kicknhorse GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I have a question, and I do not think it is possible, but if anyone would know I am sure they are here.

My current car stereo cannot read copied CD's, which is a big shame but I want to keep the original stereo. I currently cannot afford to have an AUX socket installed so I wondered if it was possible to burn a CD and somhow have the laser burn it as though it was a store brought CD.

This would be fine for now, but as a data disc is always best. If it was possible I imagine it would only be as a normal 80 minute or 120 minute CD (can you still get 120 minute cds? I havn't seen them around for ages).

For the record I buy pretty much all of my CD's as they are mostly small print hand-made ones. But I do not want them to get destroyed so I always made copies for in the car. I use to have them as datadiscs and on my alpine stereo, and it worked perfectly.

Anyway, I digress, is it possible to burn cd's and have the reader think they are normal CD's? I don't know what it is the makes the dfference... but thank you all.

2. seahorsepip

Member seahorsepip GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Get a radio with usb support are 20 pound on low value outlet shops....

3. kicknhorse
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yea, I know they are fairly cheap, and I would replace it with my old alpine stereo anyway. But I just wanted to keep the original one in this car as I will be selling it again in a year or 2.

4. seahorsepip

Member seahorsepip GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    pull out the new one when getting new car and put it in new car?

5. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    It's not that it's refusing to play them because they're copies, some older CD players simply can't read CD-Rs. You could always try a different brand or CD-RW, but probably the only solution is to get another player.

6. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    I don't think there IS a difference between shop brought CD and CD's burnt as 'Audio Cd'
    There is apparently a 'Red book Standard' that must be adhered to by both the Music industry & CD burning software (I could be wrong though)

Doing a quick Google search - I have found out that many replies state that you must use CD-R disks burnt at the slowest speed,

one even suggested that the COLOUR of the disk may also affect the car's CD playback
    While another stated that the Car stereo is just not capable of reading 'burnt Disks', but the model/make details of the stereo was needed to check against the specifications to check

7. kicknhorse
    OP

United Kingdom
    I thought that may be the case, but I was not really sure. I don't know too much about it, but thought it might be something to do with the way they are written. The car is an '04 plate so it is fairly old.

Thank you both BlueStar and seahorsepip.

I might look for other alternatives

8. Thoob

Member Thoob LOLmonade.

United Kingdom
    Are you burning them as a data disc? That could be your problem. You'll need to burn them as an Audio CD.

9. kicknhorse
    OP

United Kingdom
    @ Thoob: I have tried both audio and data cds but to no avail.

@ CannonFoddr: Thank you, that is really useful information. You may be right with regards to the colur and speed. The ones I tried were blue ones I think? The only other really available is green ones yes? I may have to go out try some of those.

I don't know the make/model of the stereo, but I can find it out easily no problem. It's not a great stereo, just a standard one in a Corolla T3 from 2004, the annoying thing is the 54 plate models could read copied cds easily...

Also, a few months ago the cd drive I have for burning stopped working - it won't even read anything - I have cleaned it and checked all the connections and there doesn't seem to be a problem, but any other ideas on how this could be fixed? I can still read discs with my second drive, but unfortunately not burn.

But all of you have been very helpful, and I appriciate it.