Not open for further replies.

notrequired

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dear Members, Administrators and Moderators,

This forum is starting to resemble an art gallery, with many posts asking for opinions on how a signature/avatar looks.

Isn't this supposed to be a Gameboy Advance Forum?
So why is there so much of the forum full of these posts?
The Lastest Thread column on the Main page consisted mainly of Signature related topics today.
Is it really necessary to clutter the forum with 'I made a new sig', 'Rate my Sig' and so forth threads?
Is it at all possible to tone it down a little?
I don't mind art, but as has been stated many times, it slows page loads.

notrequired

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
If all you did was register to post this up, I'd call this trolling...

Oh wait I have an Idea... I don't have a gba linker so lets remove any and all thread related to it, it's cluttering up the board, and I see the name ez flash way too much...

Back to reality...

Go back to lurking, as your input is not required, notrequired....
You have a very good point there when you put it like that. . .

cruddybuddy

Group: Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
varpness.com
XP
Country
United States
Look, I'll be the first to tell you I don't give a crap about all the art, signatures, and poetry contests here, but God knows I've got my fair share of off-topic posts that I would hate to have to cease because some artists had to quit with their nonsense. So let it be, you can still find the latest rom releases on the main page.

I do think it's lame for people to get on your case for creating a new username to post your opinion. For all we know, you're one of the mods who don't want to ruin their reputation for complaining about something that really seems to bother them/you.

Puck The Joker

Puck, The Arrogant Phuck
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have an idea guys, if the Graphics forum doesn't belong, why don't we just get rid of signatures and avatars as well since they don't really have anything to do with Gameboy. Doesn't that sound like a great idea to make this board so much better.
rolleyes.gif

Tempest Stormwin

Kweisatz Haderach
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
You think you know it all when you are so dreadfully wrong.

This board is such that in order to post you need to register, and thats what I did.
I also never said to 'Stop it', had you read my post properly, I asked if it was
at all possible to tone it down. There is a huge difference, which you apparently 'ignored'.

So take your accusations elsewhere.

notrequired
I was exaggerating when I used the "stop it" remark, and I had hoped to relay that, but I apparently failed to make that clear.

Still, I find it very, very hard to believe that someone unconnected to the forums -- a troller -- would bother to care of the state of the place. I troll several sites, and if I don't like the way something's turning out, I simply don't go back, or stick to the points that I enjoy (Example: Dominic Deegan. I love the webcomic, but he moved the forums onto Keenspace. I don't like it much, but I never was too involved there (I have about ten posts on the old on), so I just let it be and keep reading the comics).

So, you come out of the blue and basically tell us we're not catering to the needs of you as a troller, by catering instead to the wishes of our esteemed and talented members? I'm not exactly following your reasoning here, unless single malt whiskey's involved. (In case you think I'm calling you a drunkard, that too is an exaggeration). It's far more likely this is an alias of someone who's not willing to reveal their own discomfort with GBATemp's artists. I've already addressed that issue.

In the meantime, I think the general consensus of those who read this topic (with the ambiguous title -- another thing we frown on if you look at the rules, with KiVan's exact words being " Please make your title descriptive, reflecting the topic you're addressing, rather than a generic title such as "Question" or "I Need Help." ") speaks for itself.

-Tempest out.-

notrequired

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
To Tempest:

I come here on a regular basis, never having the need to post until recently.
If that makes me unconnected to the Forum, then you need to think about how everyone started.
Just because users don't want to be a member, doesn't mean they aren't a part of this Forum.
With that reasoning, why don't you just disallow guests to access the Forums, so that they can't be accused of 'trolling' as you put it.
You restrict guests from posting, so the only way I could post was to become a member.
And why shouldn't I come out of the blue? Don't we all?
There are many users who used to 'troll' before becoming a member, why should I be any different.
Oh, but hang about, I posted a negative opinion, so immediately you jump on the bandwagon with the rest of the posters, and start judging me when you don't know anything about me.
You can think and believe, or even have sleepless nights about your doubts.
That's you're problem. Not mine.
I don't need to justify why I posted what I posted. but because you're so narrowminded, I felt I had to.

So what is the next step?
I'll get banned because I criticised you?
That will just show your weakness.

And on the subject of 'Non-Descriptive Topics'.
Please don't start with rules.
I am well aware of the rules, and most of the time they aren't enforced except for a few.
If you're that picky, do a search and see how many 'Non-Descriptive Topics' there are, and don't just complain about this one not suiting your standards.

notrequired

Dragonlord

Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
So if you only read posts in here and don't feel the aching to post up to now... WTF you did it then now?
You could have strolled around reading, cursing or whatever but instead of this you come here pissing of mods in an ugly way.
Everybody is free to have his opinion here as long as he keeps a certain respect towards other members... something you lack at the moment.

gmidnight

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The graphics forum and all the other non GBA related stuff is the glue that holds GBAtemp together as a community. This is especially true when there are several weeks between rom releases.

If you don't see any topics that you want to read in the latest threads column then either move along or click on the "Gbatemp Forum ->Portal" link and look at the forums that interest you.

SilverGenix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
So if you only read posts in here and don't feel the aching to post up to now... WTF you did it then now?
You could have strolled around reading, cursing or whatever but instead of this you come here pissing of mods in an ugly way.
Everybody is free to have his opinion here as long as he keeps a certain respect towards other members... something you lack at the moment.
he did it because he is fed up with all the GFX show off in the latest 10 post bar at the righttop side...

btw. i think notrequired has a good point... people who visit this forum often but arent member because they dont think its necesairy... they are part of the forum too you know!
look at the users online stuff... most of the time there are more guest than members
and for that GFX stuff..... it might be a better idea to make a different forum for it called GFXtemp or something...

phuzzz

Hooha!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
notrequired: Tempest isn't judging you, he's trying to figure you out.

Yes, he said you troll. But you notice from his post, he's done the same on other forums. Trolling isn't necessarily a bad term, it's just a term. I've trolled on a few forums myself. However, on your first post, you said that this forum isn't satisfactory to your wants. Now, when we read your post, we had no idea whether you were already a member, but decided to try and stay anonymous (which has happened before, and he didn't get a lot of support BECAUSE of that); or if you just found this site today, and decided that the forum wasn't good enough. We would take offense to that, you know? No one, at least, I hope no one, is trying to insult you.... well, with the exception of those that use the graphics forum a lot. They're pretty attatched to it. So please, calm down a little. No one is going to ban you for voicing your opinion.

Also (didn't know where to put this in the previous paragraph), the thing about not letting guests post is to keep spammers and jerks and what not from posting all the time. I would imagine that we'd have probably 10 topics a day asking for ROMs from guests.

Okay, now to your point. I don't use the Graphics Forum at all. I have no visual art atributes. My stick figures look like crap for that matter. But other people do have a use for it. It's an outlet for them. I was almost against having the forum too, but then I realized that a lot of people want it and were really pushing for it. So, I shut my mouth before I said anything. And it seems a lot of people like it. So why take down something a lot of people seem to use? True, this is a GBA community, but that's the key word, community (yay, I can use italics!). There many different personalities in a community. So we're trying to give them an outlet. Just do what I do and ignore all of those posts. Now that you're a member, you get to use the convinience of View New Posts, so you can look at all of the new posts from your last visit and skip the ones you don't want to read.

As I said, you're not going to get banned for this. And if anybody says that you should, they should take their head out of their ass. So don't get so violent. We don't need a flame war here.

KotaInka2

Fanboy Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You know, I had a long thoughtful TS-worthy post residing in my head for a topic like this, but the more I thought about it, the more it pissed me off. Essentially, what we're talking about here is one person that is too damn lazy to browse through the forums. Sure, his complaint is about the extent to which graphics have become pervasive in the GBATemp community. However, that is a separate entity within GBATemp and may be altogether avoided. So, what it boils down to is this person who has to have everything his way, doesn't like the fact that graphic discussions are prevalent throughout the top 10 latest threads.

I have no tolerance for this sort of laziness. If you can't be bothered to make an extra click or two, then I certainly can't be bothered to encroach on the talents of many of our artists here. Our graphic people like Ronin, mole, Koekie, and D2 just to name several are FAR too valuable to the community and have helped forge this community into a strong presence beaming far beyond the limitations of the GBA aspect. So, in short, I say their presence, the forum's presence, and all that it entails, is very much required, and in my opinion, your laziness and inability to adapt are not required.

KI OUT!
mad.gif

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, you've said your opinion and it looks like you almost stand alone. Therefore, graphics stay. Heck, why don't we tone done all the off-topic chats too, there are so many that are in the newest 10.

Current 10 newest:
In a GBA forum: 30%
Off-topic: 60%
Graphics: 0%
Other: 10%

Graphics doesn't look to be crowding the main page too much.

Woxxy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ok... I've been thinking about this, cause at one time it also annoyed me, that there were only signature requests and comment requests on the latest 10 posts, nevertheless, I did not bother to complain, why? because I think that GFX is an important part of the GBA scene.
Thinking of it, the GBA's GFX was the whole reason I bought this thing for!
Think about all the coders out there... their interest is not to make full games, but to >show off the GBA's technical (graphical) abilities<
if there were no graphics in here, this wouldn't be a proper forum
the only thing that bothers me is the people who request stuff, instead of learning how to make their own shit!
comments on something are a completely different thing, cause comments help the person who requested them to grow...
another thing
that time when you were here and saw how the forums were filled with gfx-topics was nothing but pure "bad" luck!
see, the forums always have their "rush hours", this is certain times a day, this is when most different posts come in.
you, on the other hand, were browsing when it was 'dead', so to speak.
i've seen this many times.
probably, it was the same person who had posted the last comment on every of those 10 threads you saw.
this is when noone else replies to anything.
i notice myself posting 7 comments, and therefore 'flooding' the 10 latest, but this is just the way the forums work!
at other times you see that the 10 latest are only off-topic posts...
get over it, it's the same on all forums and all chats and everywhere else where people communicate.
if you're looking for specific posts, browse the forum for what interests you, or wait like half an hour.
it's really not that hard.
happy.gif

conclusion:

[*]you had bad luck

[*]toning it down is a fascist way to solve things

[*]if you don't like it, go somewhere else

biggrin.gif
laugh.gif
ph34r.gif

notrequired

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
To KotaInka2:

So you don't tolerate laziness.
That's your perogative and I don't mind you saying it

What I do mind is how you can attribute an opinion on cluttering the forum with 'I made a new sig', 'Rate my Sig' and so forth threads, to me being lazy.
You obviously didn't read my post properly.

Remember the downtime the forum had.
It was said the cause was a full Hard Drive.
KiVan didn't put a restriction on Signatures for nothing, he did it because it was degrading the Server's performance.

So if you must be annoyed at me, then be annoyed at me for valid reasons.
Laziness isn't even part of the equasion, you put it there in an effort to make me look bad.

notrequired

Dragonlord

Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
KiVan didn't put a restriction on Signatures for nothing, he did it because it was degrading the Server's performance.
You obviously did not understand a thing... the sig restriction is not to kill GFX people or artist or whatever. It is to keep away people bloating pages with tons of sigs posting only one line or people killing the download speed of poor modem users which still are a numberous population in the internet strill today. He just makes people not able to do it themselves respect this forum to be tidy and easy to read... it really has nothing to do with not allowing KiVan... he himself will tell you for sure he wants GFX in here... that I'm sure about.

KotaInka2

Fanboy Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
The Lastest Thread column on the Main page consisted mainly of Signature related topics today.
Is it really necessary to clutter the forum with 'I made a new sig', 'Rate my Sig' and so forth threads?

You can't mention one part of your statement and leave out the other part...the first part in this case.

::Points back up to the portion that said the graphic forum may be skipped altogether, and then the discussion related to the 10 latest threads issue::

My laziness assessment will stand. Nothing you can say at this point will change that. Its a graphic discussion forum, if you don't like it, avoid it. Other than that, you have only your latest thread comment to fall back on, which once again is laziness.

BTW, I didn't have to say anything to make you look bad. You did a good enough job of that yourself.

Tempest Stormwin

Kweisatz Haderach
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Actually, Opium, Luse, and a few other moderators and members were the ones who suggested this, and it was more or less unanimously agreed upon, long before there was any server trouble whatsoever.

KI's final statement sums up the post I had prepared to put here. I'll leave it out then, instead letting the elegance of his line stand. It sounds like you're one of those people who doesn't turn on or off the TV unless they have the remote.

-Tempest out.-

notrequired

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
a) KI's final statement sums up the post I had prepared to put here. I'll leave it out then, instead letting the elegance of his line stand.

b) It sounds like you're one of those people who doesn't turn on or off the TV unless they have the remote.
To Tempest:

a) I'm glad to hear it, you digress too much.

b) So what? You sound big-headed.

To the Administrators:

You can delete my username/profile as I wont be requiring it any further.
I'd rather 'troll'.

notrequired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COua5q4CByg