Not open for further replies.

notrequired

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dear Members, Administrators and Moderators,

This forum is starting to resemble an art gallery, with many posts asking for opinions on how a signature/avatar looks.

Isn't this supposed to be a Gameboy Advance Forum?
So why is there so much of the forum full of these posts?
The Lastest Thread column on the Main page consisted mainly of Signature related topics today.
Is it really necessary to clutter the forum with 'I made a new sig', 'Rate my Sig' and so forth threads?
Is it at all possible to tone it down a little?
I don't mind art, but as has been stated many times, it slows page loads.

notrequired

Garp

GBATemp's Wandering Gnome
Trophies
Website
www.garpland.com
XP
Country
United States
Remember the downtime the forum had.
It was said the cause was a full Hard Drive.
KiVan didn't put a restriction on Signatures for nothing, he did it because it was degrading the Server's performance.
You know an awful lot about this place for being such a new member...if you've been browsing for this long without bringing up your complaint, that's your problem. If you changed your name in order to stay anonymous, that's also your problem. Either way, it causes me to lose respect.
Dishonesty is not a good way to begin a rational, well-thought out argument.

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Notrequired:
I agree..kinda. I'ma HUGE GFX freak,and your right when you say (rather infer) that there are tins of gfx forums out there. Sure, like tagmonkey, and cMz just to name a few. But they dont have the same feel as GBAtemp. No one here is out to prove anything like the others.. The attitude of the ppl here is great, and i t would sadden me to see the gfx froum go, although even if it does, it wills till exist, whether it be in testing or off-topic, ppl will post their new sigs, you cant stop it. If you posted this just because your jealous of soem of us members, then get yerself into the gfx forum and a copy of PS and join in the fun..because thats all its for. were not out to ruin GBA temp, turning into a gfx forum. And if enough ppl feel this way, ig uess we'll just have to split off. but you must remeber: Ppl who enjoy gfx usually enjoy gaming and GBA as well, else, why did they join? Just my two cents folks

Camberwell

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.camberwellcarrot.net
XP
Country
Is it at all possible to tone it down a little?

I don't mind art, but as has been stated many times, it slows page loads.

notrequired
hello peeps,

i'm a user of the irc channel #GBATemp, the only reason i know about that channel is because my mate invited me there one day because we love to talk about our many gba games, then i thought to myself "how have they got so many users in here? , they must be advertizing it somewere", so i searched with my favourite search engine and all of a sudden i found my self here.

So here i am guys, and i think i might stick around, because reading this topic has compelled me to sign up and reply.

its given me about an hour of intense (but enjoyable) staring at this bloomin monitor (ok, i know i read slow but this topic is 3 pages)

now, this is my first visit to this site so you'll have to bare with me here, but i sense that you all know each other quite well, so dont fall out about this ey, The next reply should have been.......

"
sorry notrequired, but i'm afraid to say that we cant tone it down.
we have some very good artists on here and how would we see there lovely art work if they didn't post it.
and everyone has the same right to use this forum, surely?
"
but instead somebody wades in with insult.

anyway i am not hear to be a peace keeper or anything, i just love my gameboy advance emulator and i'd like to meet some like mind'ed people.

i also just wanna thank you guys for giving me such a good time on my first of many hours on this site
biggrin.gif
(you guys realy care about this place)

right, i'm off to browse the rest of this forum, i'll catch you guys l8er

c ya

Luse

Now with more MOOSE!!!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
a) KI's final statement sums up the post I had prepared to put here. I'll leave it out then, instead letting the elegance of his line stand.

b) It sounds like you're one of those people who doesn't turn on or off the TV unless they have the remote.
To Tempest:

a) I'm glad to hear it, you digress too much.

b) So what? You sound big-headed.

To the Administrators:

You can delete my username/profile as I wont be requiring it any further.
I'd rather 'troll'.

notrequired
Now what a way to end your attempt at reasoning with people, first you start with a post that ends up alienating just about everyone (regardless if they do graphics at all) then during the course of it you end up spitting out what you think is fact and when that's proven false you just resort to insults...

The best thing to do would be to create a new rule...

"Do not post your opinions, as they are biased, one sided and only yours, you might find some who agree with you but on the other hand they end up casing as much trouble as anything else so off with them"...

Problem with that is then we lose out any personality the board has, as any board in existence is basically a collection of thoughts directed at each other...

Here is the most constructive thing to say to you though, now that you have an account click the words "My Controls", from there look for "Board settings" once inside turn off sigs and anything else that offends you so deeply and ruins your enjoyment of the board that you had to join just to let us know how much we have ruined the board with graphics...

After that's done do not look at any topic that looks graphic related and then your set…

Got all that?

And for the record please refrain from thinking that just because you look at the board from time to time that you are entitled to randomly posting what you don’t like about it and then leaving just the same, it’s annoying to have to read through useless crap like this that’s only function is to provoke people you know nothing about. With that said everyone is entitled to an opinion, but that doesn’t give you the right to act like your opinion is the only one that matters, and you can’t simply justify yourself based on your opinion and then run for the hills…

EDIT: Welcome aboard Camberwell, hope you find what your looking for on these boards, would roll out the red carpet but the page boy called in sick...

notrequired

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
To Luse:

I don't need a lecture on how to configure the board, thank you very much.

I also don't need to be told by you that my input isn't required as you did in an earlier post.

Just because you are a (relatively new) Moderator, that does not give you the right to dictate law here.
I know the rules, I have been 'lurking' here long enough.
My post was written within the rules, with no offense intended.
That people feel the need to nit-pick on everything I said, that's their problem, and frankly I couldn't care less if everyone turns against me.

People who dish out the dirt or base opinions on useless facts, can expect the same back, as was the case with Tempest' first reply.
I don't tread in fear, just because a Moderator feels the need to express their baseless opinions.

As for your post, it's laughable and childish, and frankly was just as digressing as most of the other posts.

To Camberwell:
That's fine, it's a shame it took 40+ posts for someone to give me a literal answer based on what I asked.

notrequired

Tempest Stormwin

Kweisatz Haderach
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
To Camberwell:
That's fine, it's a shame it took 40+ posts for someone to give me a literal answer based on what I asked.

notrequired
40+? I count three. Opium's says more or less exactly the same thing as his quoted text. The flames only started around the same time we replied to your second, rather more inflammable, post.

For someone trolling, you sure took a lot of interest in the team to learn when people were made moderators.

Camberwell: Welcome to the boards as well, and I hope you enjoy your time here.

-Tempest out.-

PhaTdrU

GBAtemp's Phattest Member (o_O)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Indonesia
how the fuck do you know so much about the boards?? im up to my head with your stupid complains about everything... i dont think i can really trust your intelligence by the way you reply to people's posts like that... troller, lurker,newbies are all treated equally here at gbatemp... your posts are very offensive and it hurt a lot of people here who try to mantain the boards as a friendly helpful communitty, and you... a dumb ass idiot who never bothered to post starts your first day, as a member by complaining?? screw you!! i dont know who you are, or who you really are, but mister, you have just insulted every active member here at gbatemp.... you dont like the gfx boards?? LEAVE!! you like the other boards?? stay as long as you want. just stop bothering people for what you want gbatemp to be like... this is a SUGGESTION board..... (to all mods... sorry for the language y'all, im just too pissed...
tongue.gif
)

notrequired

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
To darkchlyde:

So are only members allowed to know so much about the board?
I have used Invision on other boards.
But you're not on about that.
It's merely observation, which is why I never had the need to post before.
You claim I offended people?

Look again, and tell me who claimed as a fact that I was a known member hiding, followed by more insults from other members.
You are no better with your post, which shows total lack of self control.
But that's how this forum is.
People can't suggest, ask, offer, discuss anything, without it developing in to a flame thread.
And that's another reason why I haven't posted.
Don't judge me, when you know nothing about me, by calling me a 'dumb ass idiot'.

Yes, this is a Suggestion (& Forum Help) Board, and I have used it's purpose with my first post.

notrequired

Luse

Now with more MOOSE!!!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
To Luse:

I don't need a lecture on how to configure the board, thank you very much.

I also don't need to be told by you that my input isn't required as you did in an earlier post.

Just because you are a (relatively new) Moderator, that does not give you the right to dictate law here.
I know the rules, I have been 'lurking' here long enough.
My post was written within the rules, with no offense intended.
That people feel the need to nit-pick on everything I said, that's their problem, and frankly I couldn't care less if everyone turns against me.

People who dish out the dirt or base opinions on useless facts, can expect the same back, as was the case with Tempest' first reply.
I don't tread in fear, just because a Moderator feels the need to express their baseless opinions.

As for your post, it's laughable and childish, and frankly was just as digressing as most of the other posts.

To Camberwell:

notrequired
If I was dictating anything to you it would read like this...

" As a troll, as I refuse to belittle lurkers by referring to you as one, I would suggest that if you wish for change you do so in a way that doesn't insult anyone, and by this I don't just refer to your first post but all of them together, they show a pattern of a spoiled little person who is use to having themselves propelled forward by their own momentum and thusly one who wishes to continue to do so on a board full of other people... In short just because you are doesn't mean we care... Your question was answered by Tempest first of all, but you were to insulted by the fact he thought you might be another user posing as a new user to say something, as it's happened before and if you had been here long enough you'd know that... But I digress.... If you want to contribute to the board do so, if you want to drag this further down by continuing to belittle anyone else simply because they don't agree with you I would suggest not posting further "

I’m not going to retread old ground here by giving anything else you say a reply, and unlike you when I say I'm done reading this crap I will leave this thread alone. It's too bad that by replying again you've already shown that you can't make up your mind if you want to stop posting and go back to trolling or keep prattling out more rubbish...

As for me I will do what I want when I want, and if you don't want to read my posts you can ignore them, but if you do somehow end up breaking the rules, or insulting more people I will pop up again, as I am a mod regardless of anything else, you don't have to like me, you don't have to respect me, but there's one thing you will have to do if you want to be disruptive and insulting...

We say " stop it" you do or get suspended, you don't like that?

That's called tough shit...

You don't like that?

Then piss off........

notrequired

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
a) They show a pattern of a spoiled little person who is use to having themselves propelled forward by their own momentum and thusly one who wishes to continue to do so on a board full of other people...

b) as I am a mod regardless of anything else, you don't have to like me, you don't have to respect me, but there's one thing you will have to do if you want to be disruptive and insulting...
a) I'll say it again. You don't know me, so stop trying to guess how I am.

b) I suggest you change the record, you've used that line before. And frankly I couldn't care less if you suspended me.

Go ahead make my day.

ESA is already investigating GBATemp and Associates - You are hereby warned.

notrequired

Tempest Stormwin

Kweisatz Haderach
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Was that supposed to be a threat? Excuse me if I'm not shaking.

Notrequired, we treat everyone on a merit system. Regardless of what seniority you've got, you are treated fairly (generally, there are a few exceptions, most notably if it's a new poster posting something revolutionary). You earn yourself a repuation based on your actions, just like in real life. If I was to suddenly stop posting new sentences and instead do only quotes from Kung Pow! or something, I'd probably be treated like scum. However, I don't -- I'm on the record for long, well-written posts that often spark new lines of thought or essay responses of their own. I've earned the reputation I have today. And so have you.

I mean, whenever there's a big change on the boards, we take it to the floor, so to speak, for debate and voting. Often, this takes place in the same thread that suggested it. The exact order doesn't matter -- sometimes if it's a controversial idea we take the debate to the staff forum for revisions (like the sig restrictions), but ultimately, it's the board's opinions that matter. The board likes the GFX forums, for the most part.

So when you show up and start posting saying you're sick of graphics posts, without having any reputation to back it up, and suggesting we take action to tone down the fruits of our creative members? Naturally, we're going to get a little annoyed.

Your repeated arguments "you don't know me, stop trying to guess" -- well, then, tell us. You've only shown yourself thus far through a bad suggestion. If you have another side to yourself, then please, let it show. Heck, even some members who have been suspended have wonderful sides to them that more than make up for the difficulty they may sometimes bring with them.

If you have none, then we were right from the beginning. If you're a better person, prove us wrong. As it stands, we just don't care for your opinions, and no one ever got suspended or banned for their opinion.

-Tempest out.-

notrequired

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
To everyone:

I am not trying to offend anyone by denying them Art.
I also know fully well that the Graphics Forum is part of this Board.
All I think is that, at times the board can be flooded with Signature Requests and the like.
And lately the board has been sluggish.
I can only attribute it to the many sig posts (excluding optional signatures and avatars).
That was my point in the first post.
By toning those down, perhaps it would be less of a strain on the forum.
Every little bit helps.

I am not a person that takes kindly to critisicm when unjust, which is why I felt the need to reply.
I can be very civil, and as a 'new' member, I would have expected some from the regular members.
But for some, I overstepped the mark, and so did they.
I don't believe it was my intention to let this topic go the way it did.

I am a 'Follower of the Boards' and not a 'Contributor'.
There is always information to find on here daily, some more useful than others.

I hereby would like to apologise to those I offended or upset.

And a threat is a threat, interprete it how you like.

notrequired

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Remember the downtime the forum had.
It was said the cause was a full Hard Drive.
KiVan didn't put a restriction on Signatures for nothing, he did it because it was degrading the Server's performance.
Actually, Opium, Luse, and a few other moderators and members were the ones who suggested this, and it was more or less unanimously agreed upon, long before there was any server trouble whatsoever.

KI's final statement sums up the post I had prepared to put here. I'll leave it out then, instead letting the elegance of his line stand. It sounds like you're one of those people who doesn't turn on or off the TV unless they have the remote.

-Tempest out.-
Could you remove my name from the people who wanted sig restrictions
tongue.gif
I never really wanted them, I'm a 56ker and the site loads fine, I'm just against huge sigs that are like half a page big.
rolleyes.gif
Some people had those.

Anyway, would people mind toning down the arguement? I strongly believe that opinions should never be repressed. Notrequired has his/her opinon and we all have one as well. No need to get into a huff about it.

Restating what I said earlier, I believe that the Graphics section on GBATemp isn't a problem and that creativity should not be repressed either. I don't find any problem with topics about signatures. On any forum your likely to find discussion of signatures, as forums are where you use signatures.
Perhaps you can take part in the rest of the forum notrequired? If you don't like art, the rest of the forum is available to you. Remember the other sections of the forums are still there, don't be put off by just one section.

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I'm just saying notrequired, but how would you feel if some stranger (You claim to browse the forums often which I believe but to me you're still a stranger. HARDLY ANYONE KNOWS YOU!!!) came into your home and criticised your home? Now I don't know about you but if it was me I'd kick the hell out of that guy for dissing MY house which I LIKE and wouldn't want to change. If we had the chance to know you better then maby things wouldn't have come out the way it looked, but you're a stranger!!! You can't just say that to someone without expecting this to happen.

Anyone's suggestions are welcome here but don't you feel that your problem could easily be overcome? There's a reason why topics have been categorised. 1. to make life easier for us to find something specific and 2. to make sure that nothing is mixed up, again refering back to the first reason. I don't remember seeing any sig topics anywhere else in teh forums. (except for the Testing Area which was originally for sigs and other stuff) You just blurted it out like nothing so I wouldn't be surprised if people replied to you in a negative way. But then instead of explaining yourself more clearly you go ahead and argue, causing an ongoing thing.

QUOTE said:

Now I don't know who "ESA" are and I don't give a damn but how the hell do you expect us to listen to you now? We haven't done anything illegal so your attemps to threaten us were all in vein. Let me ask you this, when's the last time you've see a newbie in this situation on this forum?

notrequired

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
To Dice:

Anyone who browses a Forum, be it this one or other ones, don't neccasarily
have to be known by the regular members.

Even had I been a regular member, the accusations and flames in this thread would have happened anyway.
So being 'new', doesn't make a difference.

I don't take kindly to threats. If a Moderator feels the need to threaten me with suspension (even when they can't even close the thread), I will retaliate. People don't need to threaten me for asking a question.

It shows the mentality of the ones who got their knickers in a twist, that a 'New' member has the guts to point out a slow deterioration of this once fun board.
Instead of reasoning, they decide to take a tough stance.
I dont have to stand for it, and it's my right to express my grievances.

If people want to be hypocrites, and vent their reasons only to a select few, that is up to them.
But don't make me look bad for expressing my dismay at what is happening to this board.
Everyone is equal on this board, and so everyone should be treated with the same respect.
New members, trollers, lurkers, moderators, regular members and admins alike.

People will just turn around and tell me to stop coming here if I feel so badly about the deterioration of this board.

But then I say to them, why should I, when it can be prevented by posting this thread.

notrequired

Garp

GBATemp's Wandering Gnome
Trophies
Website
www.garpland.com
XP
Country
United States

notrequired
Ok...this bugs the snot out of me, so I'm jumping into the fray once again.
Why in the blue hills of San Salvadore would the ESA care in the least about this site? One, there are no ROMs. Two, there are no ROMs. And three, there are absolutely no ROMs. There are absolutely zero illegal activities that happen on this site. So they can investigate all they want to. In the end, it will just be a waste of their time.
So why bring it up?
Maybe because you don't like the site's practice of suspension/banning on occasion? That's just plain silly. You sign up for an account at a website, you accept THEIR terms of running a place, and you follow THEIR rules. If you don't like it, you don't post. You learn to deal with it. That's how it is in the real world, as well. If you don't like how something is done, you put up with it, or you find better terms elsewhere.
As you yourself pointed out, this topic hasn't even been closed, so it's not likely that you are going to be banned or suspended unless YOU do something to bring it on yourself. I actually applaud the mods for their discretion and ability to focus on the rules first and personal opinions second. That's a rare gift, and it shows good taste in choosing who is modding and who isn't. One of the main reasons why I, personally, post here. Ultimately, Luse is right. You either play by the rules of the board or you don't. Plain and simple, no way around it.
And the ESA can investigate all day and well into the night if it wants to. There's nothing here to see except an awesome community with talented artists, programmers, and other contributers.

notrequired

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
To Garp:

Please don't talk to me about Rules.
Rules are rarely enforced.

Tempest's Signature exceeds the restriction placed by KiVan.
He is in breach of the rules.

Flaming is also not tolerated on this forum. So why does it occur?

If you are going to abuse me because I don't follow the rules, look to the regular members first, and then have a dig at me.

The ESA remark was just a threat and should be taken as such. I was threatened, I retaliated.
Fair deal.

Don't accuse me of being disrespectful, when half the members dont know the word respect if it smashed them in the face.

notrequired

Kyoji

ウッーウッーウマ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The ESA remark was just a threat and should be taken as such. I was threatened, I retaliated.
Fair deal.
Ok, first of, the threat was false. Theres a clear distinction between a threat that most likely will happen and one that will never happen.
QUOTEpoint out a slow deterioration of this once fun board.
Youve never posted till now. How do you know whats fun? Plain and simple. You dont. You ahve no idea what your talking about and you currently have no ground to stand on except that bs about "oh, poor me, my comp sux so the forums are slow" Listen, i'm sorry the forums are slow for you, but it in no way is related to the number of grphic design posts or signatures. So, this si all i have to say: Get a life and grow up bud.

notrequired

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
To K¥øjï™

That's the problem with all of you, you claim to know me better then I know myself.
You're most definitely wrong. You know nothing about me.
You don't know if my PC sucks and can't handle the Forum.

You're judging me on what grounds? There are none to judge me on.
Perhaps on my directness, and that I speak my mind.
But you remain insistant, that you think I dont know the Forum.
I may not have been a Contributor, but I have come here daily for a LOT longer than your Join date.

So telling me to get a life and to grow up?
I have one thank you very much, and perhaps you should get one too.

notrequired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte