Oveneise

Trophies
Website
ACAdapterquotes.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Completely random but did DK64 have a multiplayer mode? I faintly remember playing it with my friend as a kid. Don't remember much else from it though.

And let's refrain from insults and keep it civilized, 'kay?

I have it in my collection, just checked and yes it does have a multiplayer mode.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rare has made a ton of good games by the opinions of many people (mine included)-

- DKC1
- DKC2
- DKC3
- Goldeneye
- Banjo Kazooie
- Banjo Tooie
- Conker's Bad Fur Day (taking away the obscenity doesn't change the fact that the gameplay is still fun)
- Jet Force Gemini

I could easily name more, but i can't be bothered. I don't blame Rare's drop in quality on their acquisition by MS, but i do think that Nintendo selling them out was a direct result of their loss in quality. I'm sure Nintendo saw that they were starting to produce games of much lesser quality. They probably deemed Rare a dead company (which they basically are more or less). I think Rare would have produced bad games regardless of which company owned them. Even their efforts for newer Nintendo systems like GBA and DS have been bad, pointing towards the probability that they are inherently a flawed company now. I think they have a ton of development hell and internal issues. They treat their fans like animals and like to mindlessly tease games they never intend to release. Virtually all their original staff are long gone too.

DK64 isn't horrible. Flawed yes, but it's still fun. It's a collectathon in the extreme (sometimes too much of one). But i found it a whole lot of fun. Certainly not bad, quite good. And i just played it the other day, still plays well.

After the MS buyout, i did enjoy a few games from Rare. They've got nothing on their original pre-Gamecube talent, but there are a few games in there that have been somewhat worthwhile. I liked Sabre Wulf on GBA as an original title. Kameo on Xbox 360 was pretty fun. Though one reason it was decent was due to the fact that it has been in development for years before it released, originally for Gamecube as a launch title (or near it). Starfox Adventures was mostly hated for not being a real Starfox game, despite the fact that it's a pretty fun Zelda clone. Not totally excellent, but still quite fun.

Although sad, the Rare we knew from the old days is effectively dead and has been for a long time now. It's not Nintendo or Microsoft's fault, it's all Rare and their own decline in quality. We've got newer companies that are emerging now though that are proving themselves. Retro Studios looks to have a shining future for example and seems to be a favored 2nd party developer for Nintendo.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SPH73 said:
MigueelDnd said:
SPH73 said:
Kinect Sports is really fun. Its probably the best game for the Xbox Kinect.

Haters gonna hate. Its not Rare's fault that you're incapable of having fun.

Rare was overrated in the first place. Martin Hollis made GoldenEye great and he left the company long before they were sold. DKC was heavilly influenced by Nintendo staff. Perfect Dark suffered endless delays and wound up being kind of disappointing. (The death match was good but the story with the alien named "elvis" was just plain stupid.)

Funnily, your "Haters gonna hate" thing would apply pretty well with your opinion (:

It's sad to see the great company that once brought Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie to us die sadly like this...

This company has made like 3 good games
in a lifetime. They've been around for what? 20 years? Pretty damn close.

Seriously, quit your cryin kids.

Pretty sure you just proved to us that you don't really know a whole lot about the company, and are just jumping on the "Well Rare sucks now anyways" wagon.

Rare brought us the Donkey Kong Country games, they brought us Battletoads, Diddy Kong Racing, Killer Instinct, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Conkers Bad Fur Day, Viva Pinata, just from my time of gaming.

So yeah, to say they've only made "like 3 good games" is an idiotic thing to say.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SPH73 said:
machomuu said:
Facts, opinions, etc...

Opinions =/= Facts

The only "fact" in this topic is that aside from Kinect Sports, Rare's best games were made over a decade ago.

And Battletoads was never good. Back in its day the series was sort of the joke of the inustry. But I shouldn't expect you kids to remember that.
smile.gif
The only reason people talk about it today is because of the memes associated with the series.

Seriously kids, don't you have any opinions of your own or do you let 4chan do all your thinking for you?
Funny,because you just stated that as fact
unsure.gif

Anyway, I was a little impulsive in saying that about DK64 and BK/T. Whoops
tongue.gif

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
Rare brought us the Donkey Kong Country games, they brought us Battletoads, Diddy Kong Racing, Killer Instinct, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Conkers Bad Fur Day, Viva Pinata, just from my time of gaming.
So yeah, to say they've only made "like 3 good games" is an idiotic thing to say.

Those are all fine games, but does anyone really give two shits about Kinect Sports let alone Kinect Sports 2?

Rare needs to go back to its older catalog and pick some of its classic titles and remake them... not pump out mediocre shit. Microsoft needs to wise up because they just ran another 2nd party developer in to the dirt. Instead of dictating what Rare should develope they should step back and let Rare do something for themselves to try and save what little face they have left.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
431unknown said:
ShadowSoldier said:

Those are all fine games, but does anyone really give two shits about Kinect Sports let alone Kinect Sports 2?

Rare needs to go back to its older catalog and pick some of its classic titles and remake them... not pump out mediocre shit. Microsoft needs to wise up because they just ran another 2nd party developer in to the dirt. Instead of dictating what Rare should developer they should step back and let Rare do something for themselves to try and save what little face they have left.
Well AFAIK it's one of the best Kinect games so far (as sad as that is).

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
431unknown said:
ShadowSoldier said:

Rare needs to go back to its older catalog and pick some of its classic titles and remake them... not pump out mediocre shit. Microsoft needs to wise up because they just ran another 2nd party developer in to the dirt. Instead of dictating what Rare should developer they should step back and let Rare do something for themselves to try and save what little face they have left.

Thats probably a pretty sound statement.... but I'd still rather see a Killer Instinct 3 or better yet a "good" Perfect Dark sequel.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
431unknown said:
machomuu said:
431unknown said:
ShadowSoldier said:

Thats probably a pretty sound statement.... but I'd still rather see a Killer Instinct 3 or better yet a "good" Perfect Dark sequel.
Please and thank you.

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Rare started to veer off track while developing for Gamecube and instead of Nintendo bitch slapping them and straighting them out they sold off the dead weight to Microsoft. Now as usual Microsoft is just using them to pump out some mediocre crap that may sell well to the less sophisticated gamers among us but is at the end of the day still just crap.

If Rare is going to let themselves die off then so be it. Microsoft will for sure retain or buy the rights to most of their best games out of their back catalog and hand them over to a more capable developer some day.

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
Rare brought us the Donkey Kong Country games (With heavy contributions from Nintendo.)

Battletoads (Joke of the industry when it was released. People only know of it today because of the memes.)

Diddy Kong Racing (Meh.)

Killer Instinct (Good but not great. Pretty heavy balance issues in the first game.)

Goldeneye (Their greatest game. Entirely the product of Martin Hollis, who left the company soon after.)

Perfect Dark (Constantly delayed. Overhyped disappointment with a dumb story. Saved only by quality death match, which still had major frame rate troubles.)

Banjo Kazooie, Conkers Bad Fur Day, Viva Pinata (All garbage. Especially Conker's. Gameplay wise Conker sucked. So they added the obscenity because otherwise no one would have paid attention to it. Viva Pinata is just busy work for autistics. And Banjo is a boring collector fest with dull, lifeless characters.)

So yeah, to say they've only made "like 3 good games" is (perfectly accurate.)

Fixed and stuff...

I can't believe you kids are so threatened by my opinions. There's no one else on this forum who can cause such a ruckuss. You TEMP staff tempers really need to start paying me more.
biggrin.gif
Do yourselves a favor. Go to your nearest online dictionary and look up the word "opinion."

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SPH73 said:
ShadowSoldier said:
Rare brought us the Donkey Kong Country games (With heavy contributions from Nintendo.)

Battletoads (Joke of the industry when it was released. People only know of it today because of the memes.)

Diddy Kong Racing (Meh.)

Killer Instinct (Good but not great. Pretty heavy balance issues in the first game.)

Goldeneye (Their greatest game. Entirely the product of Martin Hollis, who left the company soon after.)

Perfect Dark (Constantly delayed. Overhyped disappointment with a dumb story. Saved only by quality death match, which still had major frame rate troubles.)

Banjo Kazooie, Conkers Bad Fur Day, Viva Pinata (All garbage. Especially Conker's. Gameplay wise Conker sucked. So they added the obscenity because otherwise no one would have paid attention to it. Viva Pinata is just busy work for autistics. And Banjo is a boring collector fest with dull, lifeless characters.)

Fixed and stuff...

I can't believe you kids are so threatened by my opinions. There's no one else on this forum who can cause such a ruckuss. You TEMP staff tempers really need to start paying me more.
biggrin.gif
Do yourselves a favor. Go to your nearest online dictionary and look up the word "opinion."

Deal with it.
Not threatened, more like angered.

Oveneise

Trophies
Website
ACAdapterquotes.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
You'll come to find that most people really like Rare and its games they made on the Nintendo 64. The only game I didn't care for all that much was Donkey Kong 64, I just thought it paled in comparison with Banjo Kazooie and Super Mario 64. So you'll come to find very few people will share the same opinions with you, as Rare really paved the way on first person shooters on consoles. Saying Perfect Dark is garbage save for the deathmatch mode because of release delays is completely irrelevant today. I got a new-gen gamer who plays COD all the time to try out Perfect Dark and he loved it. I'd love to stay and argue but I gotta go.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oveneise said:
You'll come to find that most people really like Rare and its games they made on the Nintendo 64. The only game I didn't care for all that much was Donkey Kong 64, I just thought it paled in comparison with Banjo Kazooie and Super Mario 64. So you'll come to find very few people will share the same opinions with you, as Rare really paved the way on first person shooters on consoles. Saying Perfect Dark is garbage save for the deathmatch mode because of release delays is completely irrelevant today. I got a new-gen gamer who plays COD all the time to try out Perfect Dark and he loved it. I'd love to stay and argue but I gotta go.
Gotta link it or put a quote in unfortunately....

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SPH73 said:
ShadowSoldier said:

Diddy Kong Racing (Meh.)

Fixed and stuff...

biggrin.gif

Deal with it.

When was the last time you checked out the definition? Either you're retarded, or one of the best trolls ever. You're saying we're threatened by your opinions, but the actual truth is your stating your "opinions" as actual facts.

Only reason people know of Battletoads is because of the meme's? Try again. It's the insane difficulty, the battletoads and double dragon game, and battletoads in battlemaniacs.
Conker was an amazing game. Viva Pinata was addicting as hell, and Banjo was a solid platformer that drew many of Mario 64's fans to it. So you're absolutely wrong when you say all of them were garbage.
Killer Instinct had perfect balance that's why it spawned a sequel, and fans are DYING for a third in the series.

So how about instead of acting "mature" and calling us "kiddies" to go read the definition of "opinion", maybe you should learn that some people actually know games and knows what they're talking about. So far, for everybody that's come in here and say something good about Rare and one of their titles, you say "Nope, it was garbage". Stop trying to push your opinions onto others as actual facts, because it's fucking annoying and pathetic. If we're going to go by the definition of opinion, what word are you going by? Because you sure as fuck aren't going by the same word.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For Christ's sake, shut the fuck up people.

SPH is just trolling and you're all easily trolled.

If you haven't noticed EVERY TIME he posts it's something to create some friction just so he can insult people and act like a douche.

Don't feed the trolls.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Though I never liked them the Battletoads games had a lot of fans. Diddy Kong Racing is one of the best multiplayer games on the N64, though the DS remake was lacklustre. Going back further there was RC Pro AM on the NES - a great little racer. And back further still to the Ultimate days, fantastic games like Atic Atac, Sabre Wulf, Alien 8 and Knightlore. Golden Eye will always be their greatest moment, but DK64 is a great game too.

They were a valuable asset to Nintendo and Microsoft saw that and using their business smarts they took that asset away. I don't think it was ever about bringing Rare games to the Xbox, it was about taking them away from the Gamecube.

Being reduced to producing a Wii sports knock-off is kind of embarrassing. It would be nice to see an Ultimate Play the Game/rare greatest hits compilation, but all their best games are easily emulated anyway.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guild McCommunist said:

If you haven't noticed EVERY TIME he posts it's something to create some friction just so he can insult people and act like a douche.

Don't feed the trolls.

I've actually never seen him before. Still, fucking annoying.

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
Guild McCommunist said:

Don't feed the trolls.

I've actually never seen him before. Still, fucking annoying.
I say we get him banned.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
SPH, pack in your shit. You're entitled to your opinion and you're entitled to express it, but stop being an arrogant ass and pack in the insults now. I'm sick of it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)