Randomly freezing problem troubleshooting

Bernhard

Psycho
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey community! I am out of ideas what i should do to fix the problem!

first i ve bought my self a complete new pc setup its about 1week old i dont want to brag or something,cause i am not that kind of person i need help...! I am only looking for any conclusions:/ i am sad i ve missed a lot of sleep..cause i tryed to fix this probleme..

I ve got that problem since i ve built my new setup!
First i thought the problem would be the soundcard..(nope it was not)
Second i thought the ODD was the problem close...i think... But at least it was a bit of a probleme cause it wos an "old" one for about 2years max... i put it out of my rig... It was yesterday ...

Today my pc crashed again... I thought it would just be a system problem...but i am not sure ...i ve got a g skill ram 32gb and frequency is about 3100 mhz... Not overclocked!

I run everything stable not overclocked...i ve tested the ram (all of it )with a freeware ( 32 gb) and my pc crashed i got a bluescreen this time! My first bluescreen! It just wanted to reboot! And i rebooted it!.. ofcourse the probleme happened 6 hours later!

I ve looked up the Windows errors it was a kernel error 41...

I ve updated ever thing ( my drivers for the videocard, and the windows 10 systemupdates and my bios! )

About 2 hours ago It just stucked and freezed again i m forced to reboot my pc ... And start it new... NO ERRORS are shown like erytime it just does everything in a normal way...... And than it freezes again... Like everytime ^^
Soo every day it freezes one or two times... Randomly! It gives a **** about what i start ...if i play gta V or watch a movie...or just take my mouse and click some folders to open

I ve got a complete new setup! ... But my ssd and my hdds are from my "old" setup! (About one year old)
I dont think that the cpu is overheated... Cause it is stable on 50°C

I ve got:

Motherboard: Asus Rog Rampage v Version 10

Processor: Intelcore i7 5930k

Ram: GSkill 32gb 3200mhz it runs on 2999mhz

The cpucooler: Bequiet darkrock pro3

The PSU: corsair Ai 860i (860 Watt)

My Graphicscard: 980ti Strix

Ssd: 850evo 250gb
Hdds:
Blue wd 1tb (just backup hdd)
Seagate 2tb sshdd two times for games and things i ve to install!

Please could anybody help me :/ i am depressed ... I ve thrown out a lot of money just to play games and render some videos...

My hdds are free of programs.. for about 80%! If someone is interested!

If some has an idea or two or more! Please reply!

One thing to mention
..i ve got one distributor for my pc and my monitor!

And sorry for my bad english it is late at night and i am out of sleep my brains not working anymore xD

Last edited by Bernhard,

Bernhard

Psycho
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Tom Bombadildo

I ve already checked my temps and they are not above 50° C :/ and i only got one bluescreen, and that only happened cause of the ram because i ve tested it with a program...

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
50C as an idle temp is relatively high, check your temps when running a game and see what happens.

It could also be a power supply issue, perhaps the one you purchased is defective.

Also, what program did you use to test your RAM? If it crashed while testing the RAM, then it's likely a RAM issue.

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's not a ram issue, check your thermal paste on your cpu. What brand are you even using? What the wattage of your cpu? You can also test your ram by taking them all out and booting up with each one, one at a time in each ram slot to make sure it's either a dead slot or a dead ram stick.

Bernhard

Psycho
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
50c while playing :) idle it is about 36° and full load it is max 50°

But the supply is new ^^
Do u think the motherboard is defective?

I dont think my software makes problems there is no virus... And it is clean of adware ^^
It would be a hit against my head if the motherboard is defective... :(

My pasta is from be quiet ...and i didnt put too much on or too less... So i dont know if my cpu is defective i hope it is not ^^ what would my system do if my board would be the problem or my cpu?..i think it wouldnt even power on for about one hour?

My pc is running for about 7hours and nothing has happened so far... I played trine a while ago... And nothing ^^
I played sniper elite 3 it is horrible optimised...i think cause it is sometimes lagging? And stocking for a millisecond?

The program i ve used was ...it is called MemTest^^

And thank ya all for trying to help me!!! Gracias ^^

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

*It is the stockpasta of my cpucooler (be quiet dark rock pro3 )

Last edited by Bernhard,

Bernhard

Psycho
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@nero99 how do i know if the ram is deffective?

It shows up that i use 32 gb of ram.. at the beginning i only used 16gb of ram but all of my 4slots were occupied and than i pulled all rams down a bit stronger.. and than it worked :D ... But i think my pc had the troubles at that time too^^

And the wattage... Hmm i test it later ^^ i ll post a picture of my results

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@vishno
I ve installed it on amy ssd 250 gb evo 850 :)

Vishnoo

Failure is success if we learn from it.
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I asked this question because.I had the same issue.My PC was rebooting a 10-30 minutes once.As my HDD was 4-6 years old.The reader or something which reads the disk created a sound and reboots.Later replaced it and no issues.I don't know about the SSD because it does not have a reader or a disc inside it.Maybe try if the HDD creates a sound.I don't know whether if there is a problem in the HDD, system will reboot or not.I only had one HDD and now also have only one HDD.If you can't get it.Try disconnecting the HDDS.
With Thanks.

Bernhard

Psycho
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Vishnoo
I got ya but my ssd is good i ve tested it with a program too!

I ve disconnected all my hdds without my ssd a week ago i think and it didn't change anything my system restarted.

Vishnoo

Trophies
XP
Country
India
Hey community! I am out of ideas what i should do to fix the problem!

first i ve bought my self a complete new pc setup its about 1week old i dont want to brag or something,cause i am not that kind of person i need help...! I am only looking for any conclusions:/ i am sad i ve missed a lot of sleep..cause i tryed to fix this probleme..

Don't avoid sleeping.You know if you sleep well you get a fresh and bright positive ideas.

Sorry i am new to SSD.I know only that it uses only a chip.
You say that you have not overclocked your GPU,then i think there is no problem with your GPU(You should not have also tried overclocking).Check the PSU supply.I had a issue with PSU but not as yours.Suddenly when i turn on my PC I hear a sound and it does not turn on.Then i would just press the PSU to motherboard supply cable(That 24-pin cable)tightly.Then i would get it right.Maybe try removing and reconnecting the 24 pin connector.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why did you buy such an expensive mobo?
an xtreme4 would have suited your needs for $400 less

they make a usb bootable version of memtest so you can test the ram without having to worry about windows bsod's

Bernhard

Psycho
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Vishnoo
Yeah i slept about 7hours ^^ and today i recognised that my pc hasnt restarted or freezed yet! But my problem will come soon i feel it :D
My gpu

@Joe88
I think if u pay 400$ it is...expensive, but i wanted that motherboard cause of the type c and the fresh aura lightening! And in the future i want to overclock my cpu but first i need to fix my problem!
So is it like linux :D i ve to boot it right from my usb and start the test? But how do i know if my ram a broken?

What makes the problem, what do you think about it?

What would happen if my cpu is the problem?

Or what would happen if my motherboard is the problem?

I am really happy for any ideas!

Vishnoo

Trophies
XP
Country
India
There is a chance of OS fault.
SO I think u can think of the OS before going to the harware.
Try using Ubuntu,You can run it as a trial and check it out if it crashes or not.
With Thanks.

Last edited by Vishnoo,

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think if u pay 400$ it is...expensive, but i wanted that motherboard cause of the type c and the fresh aura lightening! And in the future i want to overclock my cpu but first i need to fix my problem!
So is it like linux :D i ve to boot it right from my usb and start the test? But how do i know if my ram a broken?

What makes the problem, what do you think about it?

What would happen if my cpu is the problem?

Or what would happen if my motherboard is the problem?

I am really happy for any ideas!
Alot of the lower end boards come with type c/3.1, they even sell add on cards for them.
The lower end boards will oc about the same too. I would have invested in something like a nzxt hue+ if you wanted led's

anyway

http://www.memtest.org/download/5.01/memtest86+-5.01.usb.installer.zip

install that to a usb drive and reboot pc and boot from the usb drive
it will be just like the windows version, errors will show up as red

if the mobo or cpu is the problem then they need to be rma'd to asus or intel

Last edited by Joe88,

Vishnoo

Trophies
XP
Country
India

Bernhard

Psycho
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Joe88
I ve found a solution, in the asuscommunity ... One person had the same problem with the older rampage i guess... And someone said he should turn off the c state in the bios menu! I dont know if this makes sense...whete dont i know if this does damage something if i turn it off...
Would this be maybe the solution? I think the motherboard is new...and the cpu c state is not fixed or anything ... Because the first bios came out on may the 20 ...

I ll test this with the mem biostest tomorrow! Thank you for your link!

Bernhard

Psycho
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok turning off the c state ... was useless

My pc freezed today ... I ll run the memtest from my usb! Rightnow ^^ i hope i ll find the error :/

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
If it's freezing with no HDDs on (just SSD) and you've ruled out temperature and memory problems, then there's four other possibilities.

CPU: test this using a stress test. Keep it running for about 10 minutes. See if that's enough to trigger a freeze.

Graphics: again, test this using a stress test, ideally one that uses up a lot of the VRAM. Note that graphics freezes tend to freeze with a solid colour (like brown or pink or green or grey I've seen) rather than a non-responsive freeze.

SSD: run a test on the SSD itself. I think chkdsk is enough, since I can't remember which tools are best for testing SSDs for corrupt sectors. I've had a SSD die on me due to a corrupt sector located in the Skype folder (fixed it with secure erase, but that was after I imaged the drive to a new SSD).

OS system integrity: there's a way to check this using the command prompt, but I can't remember it right now. I'll post again in the next few days if I remember it.

One marginal fifth possibility is the motherboard or power supply. If a stress test doesn't trip the power supply then you don't need to worry. But if it's a motherboard problem... Those are very difficult to diagnose and even harder to fix.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, atleast there was some neat filler there