Hacking Random freezing issue on EV5i

skywarp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
I've started to have getting random freezes (around 30min-1hr apart) in all games. At first I thought it was just a problem with Ghost Trick, but now it happens on all the games I've tried, including those that used to work fine. I've been using the same kingston 1gb micro sd card (and the same ds-lite) for like 2 years without this issue until now. It seems short of some weird issue after updating my firmware that no one else is having, that either my flashcart or my microsd is crapping out. Is there an easy way to check if there's anything wrong with the microsd via pc?

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does your SD work w/o issue in your PC? Do other carts work in your DS w/o issue? The culprit is likely your EZVi then. The latest firmware and kernel updates haven't giving me any problems and I haven't read any reports from anyone else either, so it's unlikely that that is the problem. Sounds like contact issues.

If your cart didn't come w/ contact problems it's unlikely that it developed them for any reason other than filth or corrosion. Clean the contacts on both the cart and the SD. Scrub them w/ a soft eraser. Blow the SD slot out and DS cart slot w/ compressed air... Don't use your mouth, you'll just get spit in them, and don't start sticking things in there, you will be more likely to bend the pins then do anything constructive.

skywarp

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
I can transfer files between the sd card and pc fine.

The only time my EZVi is outside of my ds (and the microSD is outside of the EZVi) is when I'm transferring games which only takes a minute or two, and that's not very often, so the contacts being dirty doesn't seem that likely to me, but I guess I'll try cleaning them out anyway. Would contact issues really cause random infrequent crashing? I haven't had any issue just booting it up so far.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I work in the office at a cabinet door manufacturer away from the shop floor... I have a water proof watch (up to 50 meters so the back says), it's self winding so it has never been opened and the seal should still be intact... There are a couple of tiny bits of saw dust visible on the inside of the crystal.

Yes, even w/ the cart in your DS and the SD in the cart you could pick up dust and moisture (causing corrosion).

Absolutely contact issues could be your problem. It's not unlike randomly ejecting your cart or pulling the SD out of it while the cart is in use if the contacts are conducting poorly enough. And since it's sounds like you've been using the cart for a while now w/o issue it's somewhat unlikely that it is a defective unit or has developed a defect beyond what the environment has done to it over time.

Every flash cart I've ever owned, from GBA to DSi has needed cleaned at some point in their lives (except my DS2, but I haven't had that very long). And they pretty much all displayed the same issues when it was time.

syph007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have the same issue as you, and i've given up. Tried different sd cards, tried cleaning, still hangs randomly. I got so fed up with restarting games, I switched over to the acecard 2i. I would still like the EZflashVi to work, as I prefer its side loading sd card, but it wasnt worth the hastle. I see now why most people just recommend the acecard, cheaper, works great, lots of support.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There is nothing very useful in this thread to help you guys with this weird issue that i never had on all ez5i that passed in my hands.
Which ez5i hardware revision do you own ? 705 or 805 ?
Which Kernel have you tried ?
Which firmware is flashed on it ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"