lord0fshred

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Throughout the years, games like Pokemon and Final Fantasy have featured a really damned irritating feature known as random battles. Being born in the 90's, I grew up with these games.

I remember when I had thought that using the 'run' button would make the character encounter more random battles. Even now when I play Final Fantasy IV or Pokemon Platinum I sometimes find myself still believing this. XD

anyone else have that same thought or had it at some point?

soulfire

gear... secando
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
hmm sometimes i hate them sometimes i love them

maybe thats why they called RANDOM
tongue.gif

GhostToast

Trophies
Website
whatthephoto.com
XP
Country
United States
if there were not random battles, how would you grind? i think random encounters can be fun. its just that, well, RPGs usually are so similar, i think that's why it gets old. unless it's a strategy RPG like FFTA2, or an action RPG like soma bringer or TWETY, it's kind of hard to avoid the random encounter factor.

Donato_Dobango

Trophies
Website
www.fairuseradio.com
XP
Country
United States
I used to hate random encounters, especially in the Pokemon series. I think Chrono Trigger kind of let me dip me feet in and get used to them as a leveling device for RPGs.

I still prefer RPGs that let you see what you are fighting and let you run on the fly if you are in over your head, though, but I don't have blind random battle rage anymore.

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
Donato_Dobango said:
I used to hate random encounters, especially in the Pokemon series. I think Chrono Trigger kind of let me dip me feet in and get used to them as a leveling device for RPGs.

I still prefer RPGs that let you see what you are fighting and let you run on the fly if you are in over your head, though, but I don't have blind random battle rage anymore.

CT's battle scheme was great and all being able to see enemies.

But I think random battles are frustrating sometimes especailly when hunting for the roaming legendaries in Pokemon or when your Hp is close to 0 and arent close to a save point in other rpgs. Other than that.... I spam random battles to level up lol

D

Deleted User

Don't you sometimes pray that you won't get a random battle in pokemon at a really bad time?
Then they fuck you!
Well thats part of the thrill anyway.

MrDillDough

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, not really. When I played those sort of games without cheats and all, I never took any notice to that whatsoever. I usually trained on the random encounters anyway.

But now, I use the aid of cheats to stop and random encounter; instead, making them manually encountered.
smile.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My biggest issue with random battles is the fact that in most games you see NOTHING but go to a battle screen suddenly. Geez I hate that....especially if you were on your way to something important. The least they could do is have icons of monsters floating around the map as you travel it. At least then you could attempt to avoid a battle if you wanted, but if you needed to level grind, you could head directly at the monsters. To me, it's one of the things that has turned me off of RPG's.

Kaos

Good show!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Random battles don't annoy me that much, instead it's the high encounter rate.

In many FF games, you take three steps and BAM a random battle. Another three steps and BAM another battle!

I really liked OG Saga's encounter rate. It was low enough that you could actually explore without getting into 20 battles in a row.

updowners

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
My biggest issue with random battles is the fact that in most games you see NOTHING but go to a battle screen suddenly. Geez I hate that....especially if you were on your way to something important. The least they could do is have icons of monsters floating around the map as you travel it. At least then you could attempt to avoid a battle if you wanted, but if you needed to level grind, you could head directly at the monsters. To me, it's one of the things that has turned me off of RPG's.

In Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker you could avoid the enemies
wink.gif

Edit: I FINALLY HAVE 500 POSTS. TIME TO CELEBRATE http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=158329

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Its just the uninnovative point that they use. TWEWY and Chrono Trigger would have been standard RPG's if they didn't have different encounter systems, so when people come up with everything else, but need to make it more interesting...
they add the random encounter system with sometimes "FORCED" battles (i.e. boss battles)
I hate that.
Thats why I always patch roms with the anti-random battle code (I always add button modifiers to them, so I get battles UNLESS I'm holding "b" (run usually) or i get battles when holding "x" ect...)
Thats why I always welcome RPG's that operate differently.

I played through pokemon diamond and also pearl. (6 months difference), but then, I just CAN'T play Platinum, cause I hate the random encounter system.
They need to make it more interesting. Innovation is what made Nintendo the best. (shovelware is what killed it
tongue.gif
)

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
updowners said:
Rayder said:

In Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker you could avoid the enemies
wink.gif

Yeah, DQM: Joker was really an enjoyable game thanks to this feature.

fridgos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, so you're playing Pokémon Platinum. You're on Route 201.
The game isn't going to come up with an options screen is it?

Do you want to fight this wild Bidoof?

YES NO

It would be good though... =3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.