Random Battles

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by lord0fshred, May 29, 2009.

May 29, 2009

Random Battles by lord0fshred at 12:08 AM (940 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. lord0fshred
    OP

Member lord0fshred GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Throughout the years, games like Pokemon and Final Fantasy have featured a really damned irritating feature known as random battles. Being born in the 90's, I grew up with these games.

I remember when I had thought that using the 'run' button would make the character encounter more random battles. Even now when I play Final Fantasy IV or Pokemon Platinum I sometimes find myself still believing this. XD

anyone else have that same thought or had it at some point?

2. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    I'm always wary while walking through long grass in real life. You just never know.

3. soulfire

Member soulfire gear... secando

Netherlands
    hmm sometimes i hate them sometimes i love them

maybe thats why they called RANDOM [​IMG]

4. GhostToast

Member GhostToast GBAtemp Regular

United States
    if there were not random battles, how would you grind? i think random encounters can be fun. its just that, well, RPGs usually are so similar, i think that's why it gets old. unless it's a strategy RPG like FFTA2, or an action RPG like soma bringer or TWETY, it's kind of hard to avoid the random encounter factor.

5. Donato_Dobango

Member Donato_Dobango GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I used to hate random encounters, especially in the Pokemon series. I think Chrono Trigger kind of let me dip me feet in and get used to them as a leveling device for RPGs.

I still prefer RPGs that let you see what you are fighting and let you run on the fly if you are in over your head, though, but I don't have blind random battle rage anymore.

6. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    CT's battle scheme was great and all being able to see enemies.

But I think random battles are frustrating sometimes especailly when hunting for the roaming legendaries in Pokemon or when your Hp is close to 0 and arent close to a save point in other rpgs. Other than that.... I spam random battles to level up lol

7. flameiguana

Member flameiguana that's not me

United States
    Don't you sometimes pray that you won't get a random battle in pokemon at a really bad time?
    Then they fuck you!
    Well thats part of the thrill anyway.

8. MrDillDough

Member MrDillDough GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Well, not really. When I played those sort of games without cheats and all, I never took any notice to that whatsoever. I usually trained on the random encounters anyway.

But now, I use the aid of cheats to stop and random encounter; instead, making them manually encountered. [​IMG]

9. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    My biggest issue with random battles is the fact that in most games you see NOTHING but go to a battle screen suddenly. Geez I hate that....especially if you were on your way to something important. The least they could do is have icons of monsters floating around the map as you travel it. At least then you could attempt to avoid a battle if you wanted, but if you needed to level grind, you could head directly at the monsters. To me, it's one of the things that has turned me off of RPG's.

10. Kaos

Member Kaos Good show!

Australia
    Random battles don't annoy me that much, instead it's the high encounter rate.

In many FF games, you take three steps and BAM a random battle. Another three steps and BAM another battle!

I really liked OG Saga's encounter rate. It was low enough that you could actually explore without getting into 20 battles in a row.

11. updowners

Member updowners lurklurklurk

Australia
    In Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker you could avoid the enemies [​IMG]

Edit: I FINALLY HAVE 500 POSTS. TIME TO CELEBRATE http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=158329

12. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    Its just the uninnovative point that they use. TWEWY and Chrono Trigger would have been standard RPG's if they didn't have different encounter systems, so when people come up with everything else, but need to make it more interesting...
    they add the random encounter system with sometimes "FORCED" battles (i.e. boss battles)
    I hate that.
    Thats why I always patch roms with the anti-random battle code (I always add button modifiers to them, so I get battles UNLESS I'm holding "b" (run usually) or i get battles when holding "x" ect...)
    Thats why I always welcome RPG's that operate differently.

I played through pokemon diamond and also pearl. (6 months difference), but then, I just CAN'T play Platinum, cause I hate the random encounter system.
    They need to make it more interesting. Innovation is what made Nintendo the best. (shovelware is what killed it [​IMG])

13. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Yeah, DQM: Joker was really an enjoyable game thanks to this feature.

14. fridgos

Newcomer fridgos Member

United Kingdom
    Ok, so you're playing Pokémon Platinum. You're on Route 201.
    The game isn't going to come up with an options screen is it?

Do you want to fight this wild Bidoof?

YES NO

It would be good though... =3