Hardware Ram predictions

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I had already made my assumption, but in a comparable view, I think of the 3DS a step up from the DS like the GC/Wii was to the N64, so I'd say at least that much of an improvement. But, considering the "lot more ram" comment made, maybe double that? And, with the NAND, the DSi had 256MB of it. The Wii has 512MB, but that was just for games, where the DSi could take pictures. The 3DS will do the same, but include 3D pictures (and any word about recording video?), so I'd expect a couple GB for that minimum.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Atleast 128MB but 256MB is highly likely and at most 512MB
So we can cut it to that.
Although we're forgetting about the 2TB theory
wink.gif

Storage space?
I would suspect 1GB cause the 3DS will be SD compatible like DSi.

Blueicm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
512mb is highest realistically (2TB?!
tongue.gif
)

100-256mb is my guess anything more would be kinda unnecessary depending on what the different uses are

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
superrob said:
Dont know why they shouldn't make it 256 or even better 512.. the price differrence is SO LOW today and its just gonna benefit the handheld in a long time in the future.A difference of $5 when you're producing 10 million devices is $50,000,000 more cost.

QUOTE(FireGrey @ Aug 23 2010, 04:53 AM) You're right, the prices ARE low.
http://www2.dealtime.com/xFS?KW=1GB+ram&am...amp;x=0&y=0
That's most certainly not the RAM the 3DS would take. You'd need high-density modules, which are more expensive for the same amount of space than using low-density modules (well, comparing the space of the 3DS to the space available on a desktop stick).

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
FireGrey said:
You don't usually surface-mount 16 RAM ICs in a place where space's so limited like an handheld PCB.

Example: If you want to mount 1GB, you have to search for (max) TWO chips of 512MB each, which cost a LOT more than 16 ICs of 64 MB each (since they have to hold A LOT more amount in the same space, they cost exponentially more).

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
superrob said:
Dont know why they shouldn't make it 256 or even better 512.. the price differrence is SO LOW today and its just gonna benefit the handheld in a long time in the future.

It won't necessarily benefit it. All depends where the 'sweet spot' is for this device regarding RAM use. Beyond a certain point it's definitely wasted, especially on a low-resolution device.

Like Rydian pointed out, small cost savings add up to heaps when you are pumping out millions of a particular hardware revision. Here every cent counts and the accountants know it. Even a saving of 20 cents is a major deal at these volumes.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
512 is the only acceptable amount. Phones have that much, some newer unreleased ones have even more.

Are you forgetting this is Nintendo ? Their hardware is always on the "lowest acceptable" level. Troydude6's initial guess (64 MB) seems just right - 2x the memory of PSP S&L.

popoffka

Trophies
Website
popoffka.ru
XP
Country
There're NO 2 Ghz ARM CPUs right now, the most powerful is the Snapdragon 1.5 GHz.
Snapdragon 2.0 GHz is planned, but still isn't released.
Maybe Nintendo will actually try to use these new Snapdragons, but I guess they can run into some troubles with backward compatibility.

@pachura: Yes, this is Nintendo. And their motto is "We'll do anything to give you new gameplay experience", and if they'll decide that they need 2 TB of RAM, they'll do 2 TB of RAM.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
popoffka said:
@pachura: Yes, this is Nintendo. And their motto is "We'll do anything to give you new gameplay experience", and if they'll decide that they need 2 TB of RAM, they'll do 2 TB of RAM.
Huh ? The new experience = 3D. Think of Wii: Wiimote + lowest acceptable graphics.

troydude6

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
64 MB is all the 3DS really needs, sure your iphone and ipod may have 128 to 512 MB of ram but they're running a crappy operating system that takes up most of the power. After you clear the ram on those things the games still suck.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 90K it's fine lol