R4SDHC and Homebrew

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by buyitnow21, Jan 18, 2010.

Jan 18, 2010

R4SDHC and Homebrew by buyitnow21 at 3:40 PM (1,927 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. buyitnow21
    OP

Newcomer buyitnow21 Newbie

United States
    I've been looking EVERYWHERE for the answer to this but haven't gotten an answer. I just ordered an R4 SDHC card and I'm getting it mainly for its ability to play backup roms. Now, what I want to know is how good this thing works with homebrew in general. The review on this website is for the original, outdated R4DS (click here to view the review) and I've been reading mixed messages about this card being EXACTLY the same but with SDHC support, and that this card has better homebrew support also. So, how good does this thing work with homebrew? Also, does this thing have DLDI and what does that do? Thanks in advance!

The card I bought: R4SDHC

2. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Why do people ask questions -=AFTER=- placing an order?

You should have gotten an AceKard2.
    Any R4 that supports SDHC or the DSi are clones. As for homebrew compatibility, they're all basically the same. What separates a good card from a bad one is in part it's commercial ROM support and it's extra features.
    Both areas AceKard2 excels beyond a clone like the R4SDHC.

As for being 'exactly the same but with SDHC support', it's probably accurate... but that's not really a good thing.
    Depending on WHAT clone you got, the firmware could be very slow to be updated or dropped all together.

3. buyitnow21
    OP

United States
    I know it's a clone, and there are frequent updates. Also, compatibility seems to be perfect from what I can tell.

4. Dark^'^Knigh

Member Dark^'^Knigh GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    @OP - On your question regarding homebrew on R4 SDHC, I'm sorry I can't assist but would like to offer my initial impression, as followss:
    Coincedentally just had a first-hand look at one of these yesterday (was asked to see if I could get it working again for a friend). Build was flimsy and fragile - felt like the plastic surrounding the contacts could break at any time.

GUI is exactly the same as the original R4DS, with generic 12 month calender themes and quick loading (themes can be manually changed to run at your command, unlike other R4 clones that don't). Standard R4DS themes are 100% compatible...ie. no alterations to bit size, etc required. The setup I 'fixed' yesterday handled a fully loaded 8GB msd with no issues at all.
    Download recent FW update v1.32 and it plays DSi enhanced "Assassin's Creed II - Discovery". I'm sure original R4DS cannot run DSi enhanced games, even through YSMenu using the latest DSTT Unofficial FW!

I didn't get a lot of time to handle it, but I know the latest FW would not play clean roms of Zelda ST, M&L3, GTA. Unfortunately, I didn't get to test any available patches/fixes for these, nor did I test any other recent games.

5. Leonidas

Member Leonidas GBAtemp Fan

Slovenia
    Haven't tested homebrew that much, but I can assure you that you can run emulators lameboy, nesDS, JenesisDS and SCUMMVM just fine on R4 SDHC (I have ver. 1.25).

6. Dark Blade

Member Dark Blade Flippin' Insane

United Kingdom
    Does Assassin's Creed II work on the R4SDHC? Just wondering - it seemed relevant.

7. Dark^'^Knigh

Australia
    I don't know why I even bother sometimes! Did you read my post and for some completely inconceivable chance you couldn't comprehend my wording, or even worse, thought you would hijack another thread to suit yourself? [​IMG]

8. buyitnow21
    OP

United States
    Are you sure your roms weren't patched/fixed already?

9. Dark^'^Knigh

Australia
    Listen pal, show some respect I would have stated that if it were the case [​IMG] Is there even a patch for Assassin's Creed II???
    I don't even own a crappy R4SDHC, just thought I'd try to help you....over & out, never to come back [​IMG]

10. buyitnow21
    OP

United States
    Don't hate on my product, I just asked a question. If you can't say something in a nice way, don't say it at all. Too bad I can't delete rude posts...