R4i ?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Sahduk, Apr 17, 2010.

Apr 17, 2010

R4i ? by Sahduk at 8:08 PM (2,037 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. Sahduk
    OP

Member Sahduk GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Would this be also compatible on my regular phat DS? And could someone please direct me to w website that has been used to buy from please. Iv been reading around and have found out that allot of websites scam.

2. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Fresh™

United States
    Wrong section.

Yes.
    ShopTemp.
    And don't buy an R4i.

3. Sahduk
    OP

United States
    Whatys wrong with the r4i?

4. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    If you want an R4 for the phat, get an original. They are about 6 dollars at ShopTemp, and WoodR4 is supported on them.

5. House Spider

Banned House Spider In the GBAtemp attic.

Ireland
    It's a clone, Pre-order a Supercard DSTWO, or buy a Supercard DSONEi, M3i Zero or Acekard 2i.

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Any "R4" that's not an original plain "R4" is a clone. They lack official support (no updates), so you won't be able to play new games that have AP (most new big/popular games have AP), whereas if you get a cart that's not shitty, you can play them as soon an an update is released.

This has been lessened with the release of Wood R4, but that's mainly for original R4 carts, whether it works on clones or not depends on your clone model, and whether the creator of Wood decides to continue it for more clones.

The R4 was the card to get... like 6 years ago. It's long since died, and the only reason people get it is because all they know is the R4 name. The R4 hasn't been a good card in years. If you look around this forum, you will see people constantly talking about how much the R4 sucks, and the general response to "how do I play this game on my R4?" is "Get a card that doesn't suck".

tl;dr: It's not 2004 anymore, the R4 team has died, the R4 sucks, get a card that still gets official updates.

7. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    I advice if you go for an R4 Clone go with the R4i RTS from the M3 Team. Otherwise just go with the original R4 or something better like an M3i Zero, Supercard DSONEi, or Acekard 2i like Slyakin said

8. iamthemilkman

Member iamthemilkman GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Pick up the R4 "original" for $6. It is supported by the Wood firmware, which is fantastic. Don't listen to the haters, the "original" + Wood will provide the experience you're looking for.

9. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Either an original R4 with 2GB memory, or Acekard 2i with 4GB (or 8GB if you like the idea of having over 100 games). Or you could wait for the Supercard DS2.

10. Sahduk
    OP

United States
    I was thinking of getting the R4i SDHC 1.4 Red Card but Im not sure, is it any good?

11. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    How many times do we have to repeat DON'T BUY AN R4i? Just go for an Acekard 2i.

12. Pliskron

Banned Pliskron Banned

United States
    I can't even believe we're still talking about this.

13. v13j0

Newcomer v13j0 Member

Puerto Rico
    Well I follow some of your advices and buy and acekard 2i from one of the recommended store, and they send me a clone cart that its totally unsupported making it basicaly useless. So beware of this if you are gonna buy an acekart. At least some of the R4 have some support. like the R4i-sdhc (red box) i have one of this and it is OK not Great but ok and have good rom compatibility... the problem is that now-day the R4 clones are so spread that its almost a pure act of luck to find the one you want. So it is adviced to stay away from them unless you really want one and trust the retailer. Sadly with acekart clones you get no support at all so bare that in mind.

14. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Maybe it's just the retailer. If you get a genuine Acekard, it has MUCH BETTER support than an R4.

Where'd you get it?

15. iamthemilkman

Member iamthemilkman GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The lesson of this story: Don't buy a clone (Acekard, R4, or any other clone). Buy from a seller with the real deal.

16. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Probably some shitty place like WikiNDS, and we know how much they fuck up.

17. v13j0

Newcomer v13j0 Member

Puerto Rico
    thats for sure... A genuine Acekart is way better than any R4, thats no my point but, if you follow the threads about clone acekart you will notice the proliferation of cloned acekard. The problem is that acekart
    and akaio now don't support those cloned carts making them unusable, i'm not saying that they should, but the only ones suffering are the customer. for example, i got one cloned acekart from ishopvideogames and now they want me to send the card back for a replacement, and that is understandable from their pont of view, but now i have to pay 14 dollars to send the card back and hope that they send me a good one the next time... honestly i rather order another acekart from other retailer that send the cart back, maybe they know that, who knows?

18. laxman0220

Member laxman0220 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    can u tell me what's exactly wrong with the r4i from r4i-sdhc...

19. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
  20. TM2-Megatron

Member TM2-Megatron Predacon Commander

Canada