Hacking R4I SDHC problem

Banjo-String

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Ok, I'm a newbie so go easy on me if this has been covered.

Anyway, I recently modded both of my kids DS - one was a newer style DS, the other is an older style XL version.

Anyway, both modded pretty much hassle free, however I'm not sure when it started exacly, but the older model just flat out refuses to acknowledge there is an R4I card inserted in it now.

I do not get an error, I don't get a blank menu, I get absolutely nothing, its like I never put the cartridge in to begin with.

The newer 3DS is recognizing the flashcard, but not the newer one.

I tried several normal games cartridges, and they all show up in the consoles system, no problem, but the R4i doesn't.

Just wondering if any of you guys have come across this before?

As I need access tohomebrew etc, I am considering trading this machine in for another that will take the flashcard again (I removed CFW thinking I might get r4i access again)

Any help, greatly appreciated.

Banjo-String

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland

Anyway, I recently modded both of my kids DS - one was a newer style DS, the other is an older style XL version.

Anyway, both modded pretty much hassle free, however I'm not sure when it started exacly, but the older model just flat out refuses to acknowledge there is an R4I card inserted in it now.

I do not get an error, I don't get a blank menu, I get absolutely nothing, its like I never put the cartridge in to begin with.

I tried several normal games cartridges, and they all show up in the consoles system, no problem, but the R4i doesn't.

As I need access tohomebrew etc, I am considering trading this machine in for another that will take the flashcard again (I removed CFW thinking I might get r4i access again)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Sorry to bump my own thread, but I've been googling this extensively this evening, and am now wondering if my DS has blacklisted the R4i?

If so, how come the newer model hasn't, and what can I do to prevent this happening again.

Banjo-String

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Did you mod the consoles with the flashcart itself? You may have forgotten to reflash it.
Hey thanks for the reply.

Definitely reflashed it, I've also did others since.

I actually have 2 x cartridges and neither of them show up on the older 3ds XL

However they both show up on the other 3ds (newer type)

It's not a problem with the slot/ reader either as it recognizes normal 3ds games cartridges .

It's a strange one that I can't figure out .

Banjo-String

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I've been hearing alot about this recently. I keep mine ntrboot flashed for reasons, so I haven't tested it myself. I'm afraid I don't know much else.

Yeah, I'm beginning to think that somehow the console now recognises the flashcart and has.blacklisted it.

Though I'm not even sure if that's possible .

Reactions: Giodude

Banjo-String

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
See that's what I was thinking, but luma automatically patches the blacklist.

I reverted mine back to stock via a script on God mode thinking I could install CFW from scratch again.

However, it didn't make any difference - the flashcart still don't show up, and now I can't get a CFW back onto the console .

If there's a way of installing a CFW without the need for a flashcart, I'd be very interested in it.

Otherwise I'm selling my console and trading up.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I reverted mine back to stock via a script on God mode thinking I could install CFW from scratch again.

However, it didn't make any difference - the flashcart still don't show up, and now I can't get a CFW back onto the console .

If there's a way of installing a CFW without the need for a flashcart, I'd be very interested in it.

Otherwise I'm selling my console and trading up.
If you did ntrboot once, the console has cfw on it permanently. Make sure cfw isn't installed by holding down select while booting.

Reactions: Banjo-String

Shakz76

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you mod the consoles with the flashcart itself? You may have forgotten to reflash it.
I have seen several folks say you need to backup your r4 card before using it to install CFW on the 3ds....then restore it after so the card will play nds games again and function normally. My question is how? I have dug through several threads and no one mentions the method of pulling a firmware backup of the R4 and restoring it. Any info on this would be appreciated as I have held off installing CFW because I do not want to brick my r4.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was hoping restoring to stock might make the console recognise the flashcart again.

I was wrong.
Uninstalling cfw never fixes any issues, just something good to know. All cfw is is a payload launcher installed to the bootrom. Aside from a few patches, a cfw console is identical to a vanilla console. Anyway, you need to buy a compatible dsiware game to reaquire cfw. Most people use Sudoku for $2.

I have seen several folks say you need to backup your r4 card before using it to install CFW on the 3ds....then restore it after so the card will play nds games again and function normally. My question is how? I have dug through several threads and no one mentions the method of pulling a firmware backup of the R4 and restoring it. Any info on this would be appreciated as I have held off installing CFW because I do not want to brick my r4.
You boot up the flasher from the luma menu and hit restore.

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Wait are they DS systems or 3DS

Banjo-String

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Uninstalling cfw never fixes any issues, just something good to know. All cfw is is a payload launcher installed to the bootrom. Aside from a few patches, a cfw console is identical to a vanilla console. Anyway, you need to buy a compatible dsiware game to reaquire cfw. Most people use Sudoku for $2.

I

Hey, thanks for all the help and advice.

I've been reading up on the dsi game injection method but it would seem that it's only a solution if you're going from an old system - new system.

In my case, the machine I have running boot9strap is a new style 3ds, and my target is an older style one.

I guess my only option is to try on a fresh console?

Man this is disappointing. 2 x flashcards and neither show up on the older style 3ds

Wait are they DS systems or 3DS
Both 3ds.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I

Hey, thanks for all the help and advice.

I've been reading up on the dsi game injection method but it would seem that it's only a solution if you're going from an old system - new system.

In my case, the machine I have running boot9strap is a new style 3ds, and my target is an older style one.

I guess my only option is to try on a fresh console?

Man this is disappointing. 2 x flashcards and neither show up on the older style 3ds
The new seedminer method isn't on the guide. Just download Sudoku from the eShop for $2. I'll walk you through the rest.

Reactions: Banjo-String

Banjo-String

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
The new seedminer method isn't on the guide. Just download Sudoku from the eShop for $2. I'll walk you through the rest.
You're a star.

I'll be home in an hour or two.

If you can sort this, you'll make a little girl very happy.

And her dad will owe you several beers!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ