Hacking R4i Save Dongle

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
I got approved. I wonder if this can be used for rom dumping.
Theoretically, if you got hold of the source code, you COULD make it do that.
Then again, nobody REALLY knows how it works, at present time

NOPE

lol the hardware might not be able to handle large files

could only connect to certain pins

there is many ways even if you had the source you couldn't make it dump roms

looking at the firmware it purely suggests that it looks up where the sav's located then extracts its
then the opposite when it uploads it

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got approved. I wonder if this can be used for rom dumping.

le sigh

they give people like this 3ds/DS save dumpers and this happens

Eah? Care to elaborate? :P Was just idle curiosity.
I'm pretty sure that Pong is saying that it's typical that people ask about backing up the games themselves as well as backing up the saves. If you can do one, why not do the other? That's what people are thinking. I for one am thinking the same thing, but for legitimate reasons. It would be nice to do this, since I can no longer do it with my DS lite.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Pong is disappointed that people see a free device for save dumping and jump to "can dump roms?"

Me, personally, I was just curious a few pages back as it IS flashable. This functionality may be enabled in the future, one would think.

More cause for disappointment though are the people who are just getting this for the sake of getting it, not for doing a review like the agreement was.

loco365

Trophies
XP
I think Pong is disappointed that people see a free device for save dumping and jump to "can dump roms?"

Me, personally, I was just curious a few pages back as it IS flashable. This functionality may be enabled in the future, one would think.

More cause for disappointment though are the people who are just getting this for the sake of getting it, not for doing a review like the agreement was.
I'd do a review on it because I need some stuff to review, but I'd make use of it, definitely. In theory, it can do what we want. We can make it dump roms, but it'd beed to be programmed to do so. It so far only does saves, but it can be made to do roms, but isn't.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can do one, why not do the other?
If the area of the card that stored the actual rom was rewritable, we would have hacked games long ago, back when we found you could dump roms with a flashcart. The only non-ROM data on the card is the save.

But you don't need to write to the ROM to hack it. Aside from replacement hacks (replacing sprites, adding in new features or areas, etc) most everything else can be achieved with memory patching (read: Action Replay; NitroHAX). Those can be used for temporary hacks (or things that will be written to the save file upon save). Otherwise, you can mod the save (give yourself items, weapons, more health, etc) but that is fairly limited. Most of the time you can't mod a save to give yourself infinite armor, because the save will only hold how much armor you have. You could give yourself uber amounts (if the game supports it) but if you want infinite armor you would have to patch variables in memory to have, for lack of a simpler explanation, the variable(s) that hold how much armor you have turn into a constant value. But if you give yourself an item with an ActionReplay, that will usually persist through a save, or you could mod it right into the save.

We're not looking to write a new ROM, we're curious if we will at some point be able to read the ROM with this.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll freely admit I was intrigued by the whole free aspect, and probably wouldn't have bought it normally. But I fully intend to post a review here in the official review thread which should be started so there isn't just a wall of reviews. If people aren't planning to post a review, well, shame on them.
Agree 100%.
Though I really don't think R4 d00ds will like my review.

On a separate topic, I didn't get an auto-response. Does that mean I'm not getting one of these or what?

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can do one, why not do the other?
If the area of the card that stored the actual rom was rewritable, we would have hacked games long ago, back when we found you could dump roms with a flashcart. The only non-ROM data on the card is the save.

But you don't need to write to the ROM to hack it. Aside from replacement hacks (replacing sprites, adding in new features or areas, etc) most everything else can be achieved with memory patching (read: Action Replay; NitroHAX). Those can be used for temporary hacks (or things that will be written to the save file upon save). Otherwise, you can mod the save (give yourself items, weapons, more health, etc) but that is fairly limited. Most of the time you can't mod a save to give yourself infinite armor, because the save will only hold how much armor you have. You could give yourself uber amounts (if the game supports it) but if you want infinite armor you would have to patch variables in memory to have, for lack of a simpler explanation, the variable(s) that hold how much armor you have turn into a constant value. But if you give yourself an item with an ActionReplay, that will usually persist through a save, or you could mod it right into the save.

We're not looking to write a new ROM, we're curious if we will at some point be able to read the ROM with this.
Correct. The save area is made to be read and written to. The game area is made to be a write-once area, and read only, hence why it's called a ROM. Read Only Memory. If a game system is able to read from the game and execute the code, then anything else can. If we can read from the save of the game, and copy it to the PC, then what's to say that the right save backup hardware can't also read from the game data and back that up as well into an NDS file?

Back to the point of this thread, I fully intend to write a review about this on GBAtemp, possibly even add to the review of another, while also seeing about writing reviews on various shop websites about this product that they have in stock. This product being able to backup saves is a good thing for various people who share their games with friends and family, and want to preserve their own data. If it can backup the game itself, then you can share the actual retail cart while still playing it on a flash cart, and preserve your data so that you can continue it while it's gone. This would also allow you to import the save back to the retail cart when you get it back from your friends/family.

lithium210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice, just approved as well. I used to have lots of DS games but slowly increasing my 3DS collection and whichever games i have i'll help them with and a proper review.

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So, yeah. Looks like I'll get one as well (got the mail to give them my info and stuff). Now I wonder how many people on their site (that list) are tempers. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • sombrerosonic @ sombrerosonic:
    Unity is a asshole and I want to set it on fire
    +1
    and C++
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @sombrerosonic, "Unity to die. Coding is a fuck."
    Rez how else am I suppose to make my horny AI who wants people to love it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Real women are better, AI isn't worth the trouble.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Mine would be easy. All it has to do is bob it's head :D:evil::blush:
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Psi can make an AI babe lol.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I knew I should've bought the 50ft ethernet cord over the 25 lesson learned size matters
    +2
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    vffvb gferwbgereg
    :O [☎️ Bunjolio's mother that he's swearing]
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    she*
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fuck
    +1
  • J @ Just_Ragnar:
    What are mlc.bin files and are they important or can i delete them off my wii u sd card
    My apologies there little Miss @Bunjolio :mellow::blush::)
    Butt I'm still telling her :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Never gonna give you upNever gonna let you downNever gonna run around and desert youNever gonna make you cryNever gonna say goodbyeNever gonna tell a lie and hurt you
    I don't recognise the song. Which one is it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sigma
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Sometimes people make mistakes, if you correct them then they'll remember.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Try not to easily get offended if somebody calls you by different pronouns by mistake.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What I can't just call someone a dick or a vagina
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: What I can't just call someone a dick or a vagina