Hacking R4i heating a bit

princerouge

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, i know that most of r4i now a clones, they suck d***, c**** and p******, poor compatibilities, cheap quality, ugly and all but i order a couple of them around 6$ each. I think it is not a bad deal if i can expect to sell them at 15 in a flea market or something if i know that around where i live, you can't get one under 30$ for a dstt of example... anyway, that said. It is normal for the R4i (r4rts.cn, white box, grayish black cart with chip sticking out a bit) to be hot a little bit after a while. Not hot like real hot but hot enough to be noticed. I opened it i a saw around 2 big chip in the back and a big one in the front. Yellow pcb.

Any information beside "trow all you card in the trash because they suck and acekard or M3 are the best in the world" would be apreciated.

Thanx in advance.

h8isgr8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's working like it should, I wouldn't worry so much about the heat being bad for card as I would be worried about wasted battery current.

See if you notice any shortened battery life. If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

princerouge

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am just traumatized with my N5 experience. luckily it became hot enough for me to look on internet and see that it could trashes you DS so i am more carefull now about stuff that i am about to sell.

Thank you all for you reply...

Matthew

Trophies
XP
Country
Supposably some older Slot Two Devices (R6?) overheated and caused fuses inside the DS to blow, whether a slot One could do that I don't know.

h8isgr8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not the "heat" that will harm anything, it's the fact that the current being drawn by cart can exceed what the fuses are rated for.

Of course that large amount of current draw is being converted to heat, which means wasted energy, which means shorter battery life.

princerouge

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So the fuse might blow because the current is going out and not in. So if someone short a dead fuse, it will only put future cards in risk instead of the ds itself. Anyway, i dont know if it is possible to add a resistor in the card (the pin that draw current, dunno wich one) but i guess that the card will stop working propelly because it use cheap (and old) rams and IC (easy to say by the size of the chips that some still use older IC) and need more power to run. Just a thought.

olliepop2000

Trophies
XP
Country
h8isgr8 said:
It's not the "heat" that will harm anything, it's the fact that the current being drawn by cart can exceed what the fuses are rated for.

Of course that large amount of current draw is being converted to heat, which means wasted energy, which means shorter battery life.
no, in worse case it can cause "thermal runaway"

princerouge

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Heat causing more heat then boom. Actually, i prefer that the cartridge itself crashes by overheating itself instead of bricking DS's. But still, if the fuse itself in the DS it a oneway thing, maybe then someone can short a broken fuse with a diode istead to avoid DS motherboard to blow in case of any power comeback.

Thank you all for the reply. It is good sometime to get straights answers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-