R4i Gold SDHC Question

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by SamAsh07, Jan 15, 2010.

Jan 15, 2010

R4i Gold SDHC Question by SamAsh07 at 6:21 PM (2,535 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. SamAsh07
    OP

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    I went to the game-shop I always go to and the retailer there had R4i Gold SDHC, he said it's a very good flashcart, ofcourse any retailer would say that...and hearing about the recent "R4i CLONE wars" news, I wasn't convinced in even buying it, though I did open the box completely and thoroughly checked the contents so I could Google its image, and here it is:-

http://www.r4sdhc.org.uk/WebRoot/Store2/Sh.../8891/R4iDS.JPG

It's EXACTLY like that, same contents, same flashcart shape/colour etc. Now my question:-

Is this R4i a fake or a clone?? (Heard its v1.4 compatible too)

I gave the retailer a list of flashcarts which I want (AceKard2i, SuperCardDS1i and M3i Zero)

2. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    -=ALL=- cards with the R4 name that support SDHC or DSi are clones.

Depending on the price, I'd say get the M3i Zero. You can buy them online fairly cheap ($25~30USD), and many places offer free shipping.
    AceKards are a bit cheaper (I think ~$15USD), but I think it lacks some of the extra features and the ease of upgrade that hte M3i Zero has.

3. SamAsh07
    OP

Bahrain
    Oh ALL are fake? That's bad..oh well, hopefully I'll get a nice call saying "I have them!" or something along that line, money don't matter, I'll get whichever is best, according to you it's M3i Zero, hmm.. will see what others have to say.

WHAT firmware does R4i's use? I read in some topics in this section of the forums that ppl are using DSTT v1.17a12 on it? Wth?

4. twiztidsinz

United States
    I'm not too sure what firmware the R4i uses... but if it uses the DSTT firmware, it's because it's a DSTT(i) clone.

I also think the DSTT firmware is on it's way out.
    The DSTT devs aren't updating, and ashley (the one who does the unofficial firmware) has been crying that DSTT "steals" their work..... (which they "stole" in the first place).

As for the best card, that's somewhat subjective...
    Card A and Card B could have the same features, but they work slightly differently. You might like A and dislike B, while I like B and dislike A.
    So no matter what anyone says, your best bet is to read about the cards, watch some videos, and ask questions BEFORE you buy... I've seen tons of people asking questions that start with "I just ordered....." and ask a question that they won't like the answer to.

That said, M3i Zero, SCDS1 and AceKard2i are some of the best cards.
    It's a good idea to start looking from there, but don't be afraid to check out other cards like the EZ-Flash Vi.

5. h8isgr8

Member h8isgr8 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Some R4i varieties are DSTTi clones, but not this R4i Gold.

If you know how to use a hex editor, it's not hard to look at the kernels for all these different clones and figure out what kind of clone it is.

I think this one is an Acekard2i clone, but I won't bother trying to prove it to anyone who wants to start a fight about my opinion.

6. SamAsh07
    OP

Bahrain
    Nah, I'm not interested in starting a fight in anyone's opinion, thats useless and unnecessary, ppl who do that are regarded -in my thoughts- as "attention lovers", anyways, ye surely I'll check out each of the 3's review, do some research and hopefully come to a conclusion, and about the EzFlash Vi, I'd love to have that too, since EzFlash V was one of my first flashcarts! It's really great IMO

7. twiztidsinz

United States
    He's trying to goad me into a fight because he seems to think that the read speed of a MicroSD card won't have an effect on the load time of a ROM and/or that you can use YSMenu on an R4 clone because everyone is too stupid to try encrypting the NDS file before renaming it to .DAT.

8. h8isgr8

Member h8isgr8 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    ^Exactly.

Anyway, since you brought it up and I never got a chance the clarify my findings; the info I posted in the other thread only applies to the R4-III Upgrade Revolution. the R4-III Upgrade is neither a DSTT(i) or Acekard2(i) clone and seems to be the only R4 (SDHC compatible) clone I can find that uses the original R4 DLDI.