Hacking R4i Gold Pro - Help Needed

Karuley

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, I've recently finally received my R4i Gold Pro, and I can confirm the firmware from this website works on it. When I showed it to my friend he told me that the R4 carts usually contain a "timebomb" that after a while will brick the cart and render it useless.
Is there any way I can prevent this timebomb from activating other than running a custom firmware on it? I tried searching into ysmenu but as far as I could tell the only option for mine was dual booting and not replacing the actual firmware...
Would also rather not have to set the timer back on my 3ds a couple of years.

Original contents of the sd card (the one that came with the r4)

Thanks in advance.

Starboy

Trophies
XP
Country
India
Hello, I've recently finally received my R4i Gold Pro, and I can confirm the firmware from this website works on it. When I showed it to my friend he told me that the R4 carts usually contain a "timebomb" that after a while will brick the cart and render it useless.
Is there any way I can prevent this timebomb from activating other than running a custom firmware on it? I tried searching into ysmenu but as far as I could tell the only option for mine was dual booting and not replacing the actual firmware...
Would also rather not have to set the timer back on my 3ds a couple of years.

Original contents of the sd card (the one that came with the r4)

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like he is joking with you, there is no such thing

Karuley

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
it makes sense, many cars and other electronics have the same thing, every year they release a new model of r4, forcing you to buy the newer model by bricking the old one

proflayton123

The Temp Loaf'
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Japan
The timebomb thing is indeed true, forcing you to buy a new updated card, although I'd suggest updating to the latest kernel and things should sort that, or potentially changing the date can sometimes fix that issue

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sounds like he is joking with you, there is no such thing
Please stop saying bullshit and mis-guide people. That's bad. At least if you don't know what ypou're saying don't answer.

OP, there is indeed a timebomb.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm going to buy R4, it's that work in 11.4 firmware ??
Do not buy this one, it's cheap but comes with a timebomb which softbricks the firmware after roughly 1 year. You can buy either:
  • R4i SDHC 3DS RTS, which is a DSTT clone. It has RTS and cheats and is compatibele with YSMenu.
  • R4i Gold 3DS RTS, which is a Wood R4 clone. It runs on the Wood kernel, and has RTS and cheats.

Reactions: Karuley

Karuley

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
well, I guess i'll just keep my 2ds forever in an older year... if that prevents it

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@StarTrekVoyager since you seem to know more about this than i do, is there any firmware out there i could be using other than ysmenu? (saying this because mine only had the option for dualbooting) or any way to prevent the timebomb from activating?

bekzboo12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
mine does @bekzboo12, both on n3ds and o3ds, but i feel regret after hearing about this timebomb thing...

Maybe if you wanna stay longer with your R4..
You don't need to update ur 3ds to the next firmware..
just wait until you get the information from people who use R4, it's that still work in the new firmware..
as long the cart still good now, dont mind your friend...
But still becareful if there's a new firmaware, you batter stay in 11.4

Karuley

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
the problem is not the 3ds firmware but the firmware kernel in the flashcart itself, i heard somewhere that they used the 3ds clock to set the timebomb date hence the putting it back a couple of years...

D

Deleted User

Eh,the timebomb ain't so bad.You set the date back on your 3ds and the card works good as new.You can also use ysmenu instead which will never timb bomb,however you still need the stock kernel to boot up games that need dsiware so you duel boot it as a .nds through ysmenu.

Last edited by ,

Karuley

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
there... is... no.. ysmenu.. for my type of r4, believe me i've tried, several times, i only have dual booting ysmenu...

Karuley

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
!! after i put the files on it it auto booted into ysmenu! thank you! but where did you get this? @Ominous66521 there was nothing of the sort in the "official" gbatemp thread...

Lemon_

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Just so I don't make yet another post asking about timebomb, recently I got a R4i3D 2015 that says "www.r4i3d.com". Does it have the timebomb? It natively boots into Wood Kernel V1.72 HW:700

D

Deleted User

Just so I don't make yet another post asking about timebomb, recently I got a R4i3D 2015 that says "www.r4i3d.com". Does it have the timebomb? It natively boots into Wood Kernel V1.72 HW:700
If it boots wood then it isn't a timebomb.Anoughter way to check (if you aren't Shure you have wood) is to set the date of your 3ds/2ds to the year 2020,then launch the card and see if it locks up.

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally have a R4i RTS 3DS cart and have been using it for about 3 years now and have had no problem with it, no timebomb. I think the timebomb issue was a knockoff r4i cart that another company made.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1