Hacking R4i Gold Plus - Potential compatibility issue?

ShadF0x

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Not sure if this one should go here or in the 3DS section, but, considering that the problem is with NDS games, I decided I would aks here first.

A little bit of history: bought a R4i Gold Plus (the one with NTRBoot switch inside) for my New 2DS XL in August of 2017 for DS homebrew development and never really used it for games until today. The only games I used it with before were Super Mario 64 DS and FF3, never had any issues with them. But today I decided to try two new titles: Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kizuna: Dai Ichi Kan "Tatari". And this is when things started to get into the unxepected territory where Google couldn't really help.

So, the issues:
  • Kingdom Hearts: boots up, allows me to start a new game and choose a difficulty, then goes into black screen without much going on (presumably, there is supposed to be a video intro but it doesn't load). Tried both M2 American and M5 European ROMs, both have this issue.
  • Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kizuna: Dai Ichi Kan "Tatari": doesn't work. At all. Boots up, only to show black screen. Tried to set Japanese language in ROM parameters via Wood to no avail. Tried several ROMs from different sources with (seemingly) different hackers involved, all have this issue. I would blame region locking but there is none on NDS in the first place. Interesting fact: it seems like Wood recognizes the ROM because in "Cheats" there are options to enable like "All CG Unlocks" and "All Music Unlocks".
So far I've tried everything that is on my power (different ROMs, playing with settings in Wood, changing byte data in ROMs, etc) but I haven't found any kind of solution yet. Scorpei wiki lists both as fully compatible with R4i. Did anyone had similar issues?

Wood Kernel used: 1.64.

EDIT: despite me not getting any answers here, I have nonetheless found the solution. Actually, it was posted here, on this forum, around 6 years ago. Unfortunately, I am a new user and can't insert links into posts, so I'll recap the solution here. You need to have a Class 4 SD Card installed in your R4i cart and have the said card formatted into 8kb cluster size. I guess using any other size messes up the memory layout.

Last edited by ShadF0x,

ShadF0x

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Formating the SD from time to time is a good idea anyways. Most problems with flashcards come from corrupted SD cards.
The problem was not the corruption of DS but the address paging inside the memory of "DS". Essentially, the console was looking for data in wrong places.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over