Hacking R4i Gold 3DS+ Setup Help Requested

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. I ordered an R4i Gold 3DS+ last week and should receive it this Thursday. What all do I need to do to set it up? Here is what I have questions about:

- I plan to use the mSD card I have for my SC DSTwo. I am going to reformat the card with "FAT32 Format (guiformat)" program. When I reformat the card, what Allocation unit size should I use?

- I downloaded the Kernel ZIP file (v1.64), do I just unzip the contents to root of mSD card?

- What save format does R4I Gold 3DS+ use? Can I use saves from my SC DSTwo? In particular, I want to use the save I have for Dragon Quest VI from my SC DSTwo. There is a segment in the game I don't want to go through again.

Help and thoughts on all of this greatly appreciated :)

Last edited by Skeet1983,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Good to hear you solved the problems with ordering the card. That did not sound very positive some days ago.
  • First of all: Backup your complete DSTwo setup from the micro-SD. 32KB cluster size worked for me with SDs up to 128GB (don’t have a bigger one to test and honestly such big SDs make no sense for DS-ROMs). The R4i Gold 3DS had no problems with any of my SDs with FAT32, 32KB. No detection problems, no crashes in many hours of testing.
  • Yes, just unpack. “__rpg” and “_DS_MENU.DAT” have to be in the root of your micro-SD. Put ROMs and/or homebrew apps in folders anywhere you want.
  • Don't have a DSTwo, so no idea. The R4i Gold 3DS uses .sav files (hidden by default in the Wood menu). A ROM named game.nds has a save named game.nds.sav in the same folder. If you have .sav files, just try if they are the same format.

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good to hear you solved the problems with ordering the card. That did not sound very positive some days ago.
  • First of all: Backup your complete DSTwo setup from the micro-SD. 32KB cluster size worked for me with SDs up to 128GB (don’t have a bigger one to test and honestly such big SDs make no sense for DS-ROMs). The R4i Gold 3DS had no problems with any of my SDs with FAT32, 32KB. No detection problems, no crashes in many hours of testing.
  • Yes, just unpack. “__rpg” and “_DS_MENU.DAT” have to be in the root of your micro-SD. Put ROMs and/or homebrew apps in folders anywhere you want.
  • Don't have a DSTwo, so no idea. The R4i Gold 3DS uses .sav files (hidden by default in the Wood menu). A ROM named game.nds has a save named game.nds.sav in the same folder. If you have .sav files, just try if they are the same format.

Thanks for the info and help. [emoji4][emoji4]
Is there anything else I should know about R4i? I never have used an R4i; only have used SC DSTwo. Also, how do I access the Wood menu from within a DS game? Further help and thoughts appreciated [emoji4][emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for the info and help. [emoji4][emoji4]
Is there anything else I should know about R4i? I never have used an R4i; only have used SC DSTwo. Also, how do I access the Wood menu from within a DS game? Further help and thoughts appreciated [emoji4][emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wood is highly configurable. Just looking through the settings will most likely answer all your questions. By default the Reset combination is "L"+"R"+"A"+"B"+"Down".
If real time saving (RTS) is enabled, the menu for the savestate is accessed by this combination instead.
I don't quite remember all the defaults, but it is possible, you have to turn on softreset and RTS before using it.

Reactions: Skeet1983

Skeet1983

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. I am excited to get my new R4i card. My main concern now is that my N3DS might not always detect it being inserted into system. Currently with my SC DSTwo, my N3DS doesn't always detect it. I have to remove/insert it several times before it is detected. Should I be worried or concerned about this issue?

Also, I am thinking about updating my N3DS to System Firmware 11.9 in preparation for the upcoming "Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story"; but wanted to make sure my new R4i Gold 3DS+ flashcard would work on it. Does anyone know if said flashcard works with System FW 11.9?

Thoughts and help greatly appreciated :)

azael190

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi, i'm continuing this thread since i'm (weirdly) in the same situation as the OP.

I've got a Luma-hacked 3DS (latest firmware), and I just got a R4i 3ds Gold Plus to play NDS games in substitution of my old DSTWO.

I've loaded the latest Wood kernel in a 4 GB Fat 32, 32KB SD card (the same I used for the DSTWO), flipped the switch on NDS mode, but the console doesn't detect anything.

My 3DS seems to detect the flashcard while in NTRboot mode (a fake game appears), even though i didn't proceed with it.

What might be the problem? Do I need to install the NTRboot even if I intend to only use the card for NDS games?

Thanks a lot in advance

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've got a Luma-hacked 3DS (latest firmware), and I just got a R4i 3ds Gold Plus to play NDS games in substitution of my old DSTWO.

I've loaded the latest Wood kernel in a 4 GB Fat 32, 32KB SD card (the same I used for the DSTWO), flipped the switch on NDS mode, but the console doesn't detect anything.

My 3DS seems to detect the flashcard while in NTRboot mode (a fake game appears), even though i didn't proceed with it.
Seems to be set up correctly. Maybe you mixed the two modes up?
  • Internal switch set to “N” → ntrboot mode
  • Internal switch set to “D” → play DS games
When set to play DS games it should look like this on the Home Menu:

R4iGold3DS.jpeg

When inserting the cartridge in ntrboot mode, there’s no logo on the Home Menu. You don’t need ntrboot because you already have cfw.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wow, now I DO feel stupid. Thanks for the quick reply.

Since i'm already here, I may also ask:

Are there no advantages whatsoever about using the flashcard's NTRboot instead of the cfw?
ntrboot is a method to install the cfw on any 2/3DS console - no matter what official firmware version you have. Start reading on the guide from here:
https://3ds.hacks.guide/ntrboot
https://3ds.hacks.guide/de_DE/ntrboot.html [I never read the German version and don't know how good the translation is.]

It can also be used to repair the worst kind of software failure you can even imagine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple