R4i Gold 3DS or DStwo?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by gamercyrus, Jan 25, 2012.

Jan 25, 2012

R4i Gold 3DS or DStwo? by gamercyrus at 8:18 PM (1,001 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. gamercyrus
    OP

Newcomer gamercyrus Newbie

Canada
    Okay so I'm new to this forum but I've been reading though threads for a couple hours now, yet I'm still in a dilemma.

I just bought a 3DS updated to Ver. 3.0.0-6U and I want to get a flashcard that is supported.

From what I've read the R4i Gold 3DS and DStwo seemed to be the favorites. Which one should I buy?

Here's of functions I would be using the card for, from TOP priority to the lowest; running as SMOOTH as possible with either the stock emulators or installable compatible for that card:
    • -SNES Emulations (This takes the cake, whatever card emulates SNES the best shall be my choice!)
    • -Capable of running "Super Mario RPG" (I've been running emulators on a number of devices in the past and nearly all aside from my iPhone have had troubles emulating games with FX chips.)
    • -GBA Emulations
    • -Runs DS Back up games (Though I've read that both cards handle this well. For the games the I already own a physical copy of.)
    • -And the other emulators, NES, Sega, etc. (I mainly want one for SNES & GBA).

PS. I know neither card will not run 3DS dumped game files, that doesn't bother me.

Last questions, if these cards can only work under "DS Mode" does that mean I won't get the benefit of the 3DS' true processing power?

2. ScarletCrystals

Member ScarletCrystals Useless Bunny of Paradise

Canada
    DStwo is the best you can do for GBA and SNES emulation although you may find the compatibitily to be meh. I think mario rpg runs on CATSFC for dstwo (http://filetrip.net/f24262-CATSFC-1-1.html) but I've never tried it.

And ds mode is separate from 3ds mode. So yes, you won't be using the 3DS' "true processing power"

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    DSTwo. The DSTwo is one of the only carts with a better emulator capability than normal. The others that can do it can't do it as well (and that's only the iSmart and iEvo).

However even with the DSTwo, SNES and GBA emulation is not perfect, consider an alternative portable if SNES/GBA is your main goal.

4. NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Member NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU Now with extra redundancy!

Australia
    DSTWO has the best emulation, and is the only one that fills all your requirements. :)

5. RNorthex

Member RNorthex GBAtemp Fan

Hungary
    has some neater homebrews here and there though, like the dos emulator using it's extra cpu
    but if it's for ds games mostly, i love my R4i gold