R4i Fakes

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by theforbidden1, Jul 30, 2009.

Jul 30, 2009

R4i Fakes by theforbidden1 at 12:24 AM (2,984 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. theforbidden1
    OP

Newcomer theforbidden1 Advanced Member

Portugal
    Hello,

We all know all the R4 flash cards out there are fakes...

... but this time the fake problem goes to a new level

Apparently the product sold by:

http://www.r4i-sdhc.com/indexe.asp

is being faked, and you ask:

"How the hell a fake is being faked?"

Yes apparently some1 is cloning "r4i.sdhc" flash cards, instead of lunch a new brand they are just making a clone of a fake.

And you ask: "And what is the problem with that?"

The problem is that "r4i-sdhc" is not a clone of the original r4, actually it is a clone of DSTT, with modified firmware.
    And the problem cames, that like the original DSTT team they can actually "use the fake killer function", or use the genuine card detection function on DSTTi clone cards.
    So far they included the fake card detection in the firware and they card simply it will not boot ("It will display an error message, saying it is a fake and to contact the dealer").

Now what i want to know if any1 have the r4i firmware without the genuine chip detection? A bit like DSTT firmware without the fake killer.

2. antonkan

Member antonkan GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Well, I don't recommend buying all the R4's (except M3 Team-made R4 (including R4i RTS)) If you have your R4, use YSMenu. Here's the link:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=164359

3. xshinox

Member xshinox GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    they're making fakes of fakes? lol. someone is going to make a fake of a fake of a fake. just watch. but seriously though, no one should buy any kind of r4. just get something else besides that

4. PettingZoo

Member PettingZoo yesss

Australia
    @antonkan: Does YSMenu work with the R4i's?

EDIT: Wait, it should shouldn't it? Because the hardware is what makes it DSi compatible I think.

5. gamekool

Member gamekool GBAtemp Regular

United States

yeah...that's also what i want to recommend...m3 and r4 belong together...and only their co-work can stand still to be R4

6. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Freshâ„¢

United States
    This reminds me of the movie Multiplicity... the more they cloned, the more retarded they became...

I don't understand what the point of making a clone of a widely untrusted clone is. Just seems like a really stupid business move if you actually want to sell something. I've seen 2 people ever promote this card, and I'm one of them. I can't even do that now, because DealExtreme already has 2 listings for red boxed R4i-SDHCs, and I can't for the life of me tell which one looks like mine (I have a "real" R4i-SDHC, and did not buy mine from DX).

EDIT: I've figured out which of the 2 is the same as mine, but seriously, just get something else. I understand now why everyone here says to avoid them (though mine still works like a dream). It's not worth the headaches of trying to figure out if yours is real or not, or how to deal with it should it be fake.

7. 8xlx8

Newcomer 8xlx8 Newbie

United States
  8. lolzed

Member lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Philippines
    you bumped this thread,go home