Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.chargingcomplete.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
Take 2:
Ok, here's a guide I posted on the R4DS-Forums a while back, with simple solutions to most R4 problems.

Also, when I say firmware, that means the kernel.

My R4 won't boot. It says it needs the DS_MENU.DAT.
You need to extract the files inside of the "English" folder onto the root of the microSD card. It should look like this:
"_System_", "DS_MENU.DAT", "_DS_MSHL.NDS". Then the folders for your games, etc.

My R4 boots, but gets stuck at the "Loading..." screen.
This can stem from many different things. You may have bought a fake. Check here or here to see if you bought a fake card. If you were scammed, e-mail the company and ask for a refund. This problem could also be caused by a bad microSD card. It could be corrupted, or too big (2GB is the limit, folks). Try a different one, and that may well solve your problem. Also, try deleting the _DS_MENU.SYS file (it may be hidden, go to the root of your microSD card, Tools>Folder Options>Show Hidden Files). Thanks Shelleson! If your microSD card isn't detected by the computer and R4, your contacts have been worn out and you need a new microSD card (Thanks Asuri)

My video I converted will only play for a few seconds.
Use BatchDPG to convert video, SUPER seems to have a problem with converting DPGs.

My microSD card is 2GB, but only shows 1GB.
Use this to set it back.

My DS is having trouble connecting to the internet.
Check out this thread.

How do you activate certain cheats for games? Like for TetrisDS, I only get a 'Cheat(y)' button, not a 'Cheat' button beside it like some of my other games.
You probably have the CHEAT.dat and the urscheat.dat. Delete the latter.
Are you using Narin's Cheat Database?
Narin's Cheat Database is so huge. It contains almost every game ever released for NDS, thus there're so many cheats inside the CHEAT/USRCHEAT.DAT file. R4's cheat system has a limitation, if there're too many cheats in a cheat file, then it can't display the bottom cheats

There's nothing you can do but use R4 Cheat Code Editor made by YASU and move the desired game up to the top of the list. Google around for it. However, some ngames may not play correctly when useing the patch by Yasu. (thanks Narin)

Some games freeze and won't boot up.
You probably have a bad ROM. Due to legalities, we can't post where to download ROMs on the forums, but I'm sure most of our members would be glad to point you in the right direction, if you contact them with a PM or e-mail.

The online play for some of my games isn't working.
Update your firmware to the latest version, found
here. Delete the _DS_MENU.sys file before you upgrade. Also, try different or untrimmed ROMs.

Is there anyway to save space on my microSD card?
Use the NDS Tokyo Trim software, found here.

I updated my firmware, and now my R4 won't work.
You may have a clone/scam/fake. See here.

My save file is full.
See here.

I have a Chinese R4, but want it to be in English.
See here or here.

My Pokemon Diamond/Pearl ROM won't work with my Wii.
Sadly, this can't be fixed. See here for more details.

My R4 didn't come with a CD.
They usually don't anymore. Just download the correct firmware from here (thanks AndreXL) or from Linfox Domain.

I want to take my ROM and .sav file from my real cart to my R4.
See this page. Thanks Ryupower!

Help! Nintendo has modified the DS Lite so it won't recognize my R4!
See this topic: http://www.r4ds-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f...=cobalt+trouble

The DS doesn't recognize my R4!
The reason why yours isn't working is because for some reason the R4's metal contacts are not contacting with the DS's contacts.
This is a somewhat common problem.
To fix it:
1. Remove the small screw from the r4ds.
2. Remove the back and remove the main chip.
3. Tear a small piece of paper off of something and fold that piece but make sure its not very large (you just want the chip to sit a little bit higher).
4. Put the piece of paper onto what is now the front-back side on the place where the contacts used to be sitting on the r4ds and put the chip on top of it, making sure its aligned to the front.
5. Finally sit the back of the r4 on`top of it, snap it together and finally screw it back together.
6. The contacts should now be bulging out just a little bit and they will now make better contact with the DS contacts and it should work.

I tried this when my R4 wasn't working and it fixed the issue for me... this process should fix it permanently; I have been using my modified R4DS for about a month now with no problems.

In addition to these methods listed above, re-formatting your microSD card with the Panasonic Re-Formatting Utility(info and URL found here). If problems continue, get a new card reader. If they still persist, your card may have finally bitten the dust, and a new one is necessary.

That's the main ones I believe. If I missed any important one's, please post and they will be added.

This list in maintained regularly, but for the most-up-to date info, here's the link.

Shelleeson

Trophies
XP
Country
jcm4 said:
My R4 boots, but gets stuck at the "Loading..." screen.
This can stem from many different things. You may have bought a fake. Check here or here to see if you bought a fake card. If you were scammed, e-mail the company and ask for a refund. This problem could also be caused by a bad microSD card. It could be corrupted, or too big (2GB is the limit, folks). Try a different one, and that may well solve your problem.
before anyone says "zomg i got scammed by z, y or z" i suggest trying something else
sometimes deleting the _DS_MENU.SYS and letting the r4 create another one also works
lecture.gif

raptor5001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was the Animal Crossing (0223) random freezing issue ever solved? I know I and other people had that problem, but I'm on an AK2 now, haha. I'm thinking of giving my AC-addict friend my R4, though, so I'm just wondering.

AndreXL

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
raptor5001 said:
Was the Animal Crossing (0223) random freezing issue ever solved? I know I and other people had that problem, but I'm on an AK2 now, haha. I'm thinking of giving my AC-addict friend my R4, though, so I'm just wondering.
There's an Animal Crossing: Wild World v1.1 released.
I did not encounter that random freezing issue playing this one.

@jcm4, thanks for adding the firmware link. Hope R4 release a new one soon.

raptor5001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AndreXL said:
raptor5001 said:
There's an Animal Crossing: Wild World v1.1 released.
I did not encounter that random freezing issue playing this one.

@jcm4, thanks for adding the firmware link. Hope R4 release a new one soon.

Ah, thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGClRsx0x64