R4DS Homebrew Contest

GenesisX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a Few Questions

1) how do we know this isnt a fake thread so you can get some homebrew games?
2)Why R4?
3)How are we going to receive the money? you going to find out where we live? o-o

wacko.gif

davidtube

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
kobykaan said:
I'm NOT looking to report anyone I'm just asking a lot of relevant questions a lot of people generally want to ask but never get the courage to ask outright!
No but if I ever do turn evil, please stop me
smile.gif

kobykaan said:
My comments are not NEGATIVE they are INQUISITIVE and got the answers I was questioning!
Sorry, you're right. You were only warning people which is completely reasonable. I just meant that if someone looked at the story, then read the first three comments and didn't read this far into the thread (like Overlord Natie), they'd probably assume it was a scam.

QUOTE(kobykaan @ Jun 29 2009, 04:06 PM)
M3 team are supposed to be rebranding and releasing the R4 card as a legit real card

They are?! Where did you hear that?

1) how do we know this isnt a fake thread so you can get some homebrew games?
2)Why R4?
Please read my answers to kobykaan on the first page.

3)How are we going to receive the money? you going to find out where we live? o-o
Paypal will be the easiest way. If someone can't accept that, then I'll have to sort it out with them how they would prefer to get the money.

Meh... Fake as hell, there's a fuckload of spelling mistakes and typos in it...
I'd better proof read again.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think this is dodgy myself and I pretty much agree with all the points made by those who think the same.

Why the hell was something like this approved on the frontpage without anything posted in the staff area? Pretty sure people will have to contact a member of admin first before such blatant advertising is even seen here.

davidtube

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hadrian, why do you think it's dodgy? Assuming you've read the thread to this point, can you explain what your remaining concerns are? I'm trying my best to answer questions and can't understand what you might think my dodgy plans are.

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hadrian said:
I think this is dodgy myself and I pretty much agree with all the points made by those who think the same.

Why the hell was something like this approved on the frontpage without anything posted in the staff area? Pretty sure people will have to contact a member of admin first before such blatant advertising is even seen here.

I think you're all being really harsh to him.

He's a new user, yes, and the competition prizes seem brilliant, which may be suspicious.

Instead of interrogating him, when he seems to be a friendly chap, why not see if we can have more involvement, and maybe suggest to hold the prize fund in escrow before we announce anything on the front page.

In my opinion it's great to have people encouraging homebrew development.

warbird

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@kobykaan:
This will be my last comment regarding GPL in this thread, as I don't want it to get off topic (this is why i put this in a spoiler tag). Any further discussion should be done in a new thread (feel free to make one and pm me the link if you want to continue discussing this).

It is my understanding that you don't need the authors agreement to redistribute or sell GPL software. The author has already agreed to this when licensing it under the GPL. The only thing to be aware of is the branding. If the software uses a registered trademark, you cannot reuse this without author agreement (the root of the Firefox -> Iceweasel Debian thing).

Wikipedia: The terms and conditions of the GPL are available to anybody receiving a copy of the work that has a GPL applied to it ("the licensee"). Any licensee who adheres to the terms and conditions is given permission to modify the work, as well as to copy and redistribute the work or any derivative version. The licensee is allowed to charge a fee for this service, or do this free of charge. This latter point distinguishes the GPL from software licenses that prohibit commercial redistribution. The FSF argues that free software should not place restrictions on commercial use,[21] and the GPL explicitly states that GPL works may be sold at any price.

If it is morally right or wrong, I won't make a comment upon. But imo if the author of any software doesn't agree to things like what you mention with DS Organize happening with their software, they've chosen the wrong license for their software when going with GPL. There are better licenses that restricts or prohibits commercial redistribution.

As much as GBAtemp people might love or hate the R4, I don't think the R4 branding should justify people bashing this contest. The site owner also points out the existence of other flashcards, and the R4 does homebrew perfectly well, which is what this contest is about. Its not about dumping and running commercial roms.

Every new contest has to start from somewhere, so shouldn't people give him the benefit of the doubt? He has also been straight up and answered every question posed. I for one welcome this, as it might spark some new life, as I mentioned earlier, into the imo stagnating DS homebrew scene.

davidtube

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sinkhead said:
he seems to be a friendly chap, why not see if we can have more involvement, and maybe suggest to hold the prize fund in escrow before we announce anything on the front page.

In my opinion it's great to have people encouraging homebrew development.
Wow thanks Sinkhead. Yeah, that's a great idea. If it'll get people to trust me, and get the news story on the front page (or perhaps a new one, so people aren't put off by the comments directly below it), then I'll happily use an escrow. Who could we use to do that?

QUOTE(warbird @ Jun 30 2009, 01:53 AM) As much as GBAtemp people might love or hate the R4, I don't think the R4 branding should justify people bashing this contest. The site owner also points out the existence of other flashcards, and the R4 does homebrew perfectly well, which is what this contest is about. Its not about dumping and running commercial roms.

Every new contest has to start from somewhere, so shouldn't people give him the benefit of the doubt? He has also been straight up and answered every question posed. I for one welcome this, as it might spark some new life, as I mentioned earlier, into the imo stagnating DS homebrew scene.
yay.gif
Thanks dude.

bollocks

Trophies
XP
Country
kobykaan said:
This is EXACTLY what happened with DS ORGANIZE you ALL know its free software and always has been yet an unscrupulous company was bundling it as part of the OS of a slot 2 flashcard without DragonMinded's permission and thus WAS in breach of the GPL/GNU license laws covering this area ...sure you can LEGALLY SELL stuff with GPL but only if the author agrees to this/authorizes it!
this isn't true actually. you can sell GPL stuff all you like as long as you release the source code, you don't have to have the author's permission for shit. but the company behind that slot-2 product refused to release the source - that's where the violation was. and they chose to stop selling the card rather than release it, for whatever reason.

anyway yeah people are totally being too harsh on this guy. if he was gonna steal people's software he would have done it already, theres no need to create a fake contest. as it stands he's giving cash to homebrew devs and not asking for much in return at all. maybe naming the site after the R4 isnt going to give it much credibility here, but he's not being deceptive about the card's status at all, if anything it'll serve to educate people who know nothing beyond R4 and are searching for info about it.

davidtube

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That's what I was thinking Bolloks. Thanks.

Sinkhead has told me that he'd be willing to hold the prize fund in escrow since he's been around here longer than me and earned more trust. So now there is nothing to lose and $200 to gain.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You read it wrong, it says that Sinkhead as been around longer than davidtube and that Sinkhead has more trust than davidtube.

davidtube said:
Sinkhead has told me ]that he'd be willing to hold the prize fund in escrow since he's been around here longer than me and earned more trust. So now there is nothing to lose and $200 to gain.

With Sinkhead holding this, it shows that its not so dodgy.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just to let you guys know that this contest is totally legit and we will be posting another news piece on behalf of Davidtube again. He has sent ME the prize money to hold over until we send it to the winners, so you can rest assured that nothing can go wrong
smile.gif

Stay tuned and thanks to davidtube and r4revolutionds.co.uk for the contest
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)