R4 YSMenu Compatibility problem, please help

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by gokuguy, Dec 26, 2008.

Dec 26, 2008
  1. gokuguy
    OP

Member gokuguy GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I just got R4 for Christmas, put the newest YSMenu on it, & it was a successful. The only things that will not work AT ALL are my Jump! Ultimate Stars that is patched with the English patch made by Guent & others, & NESDS, which is R4 DLDI Patched. I have other homebrew that work that i dldi patched, so i dont think NESDS is patched wrong. Are these 2 games not compatible with YSMenu for some reason? This is what happens on them.

JUS: Goes through all steps, tries to start the game, & freezes at a blank screen. I have checked header, i have played on an emulator, it all is good, it just wont work on this.

NESDS: Goes through all steps up to DLDI Patching, then freezes on that step, doesnt do anything.

Did i do something wrong, or are these not compatible with YSMenu?

2. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Best deal I found is to dual-boot the official 1.18 R4 firmware and the YSmenu together. Generally, what doesn't work on one will work on the other....for the most part.

The spring finally completely screwed up on my R4, so I don't use it at all anymore, but I have done this and it works.

You will have to rename the R4's version of Moonshell to Moonshell.nds. Use R4Crypt on the YSmenu's DS_MENU.DAT to decrypt it. Rename the YS's DS_MENU.DAT to _DS_MSHL.NDS. Now you can use the middle icon on the R4 menu to access YSmenu instead of Moonshell. To get to Moonshell, boot it through YSmenu.

Try that and see if that fixes your issues.

3. gokuguy
    OP

United States
    OK thanks, ill try that now. Oh, & NESDS was my fault. I remembered accidently patching it twice, so it apparently corrupted it. I got it again, & it works great. The option i used for my YSMenu with the r4sauto batch was to make it a firmware itself. If i choose to make it work with the actual firmware, will i have to do everything else?

I think i have it now. Thanks.

4. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    R4YSauto has all the options you need. To replace Moonshell, use the third option.

5. gokuguy
    OP

United States
    Sorry for double post, BUT NEED MAJOR HELP!!! How do i rename DS_MENU.DAT to a NDS file?!?!?

EDIT: Never mind. Thanks so much M.S. You made it so much easier.