Hacking R4 with FlashME

Gamefrk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Download play works great with my R4 (1.11). I want to install the FlashME firmware just to get rid of the bootup warning screen (no other reasons). I don't want to find out later that the game that was working with download play isn't working anymore. Will installing FlashME affect any download play compatibility? And do any of you advise agains't getting this FlashME update just to get rid of the annoying health warning? Thank you!

Gamefrk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, that sounds good... I plan to just drag the flashme.nds over and run it from the R4. Anybody advise agains't this? Cause all that toothpick with foil at the tip, and run from slot 2 seems like a LOT OF WORK.

SkH

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
DON'T DO IT!!! THAT WARNING SCREEN IS JUST 2 SEC!!!!! AND R4 SKIPS IT AUTOMATICALLY, TOO!!!!!!

jerbob92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
DON'T DO IT!!! THAT WARNING SCREEN IS JUST 2 SEC!!!!! AND R4 SKIPS IT AUTOMATICALLY, TOO!!!!!!

NO IT DOESN'T, IT SKIPS THE BOAT SLOT LOADER!

and don't use caps (when he can i can do it too
grog.gif
)

Gamefrk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see what you're saying, the health screen appears 2 secs, then the R4 (i think) gets out automatically without having to touch screen.

I've decided agains't the update... I have an EZ 3 in 1, and if I update it, I think it's gonna boot my slot 2 everytime I power on my DSL. F that!

And if I get the no autoboot flashme, there's only the stealth version which makes it useless for my needs since it keeps the health screen.

Thanks for the help!

Gamefrk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And is this the stealth version that keeps the health screen? Or is there a no autoboot and non stealth flashME available?

EDIT: Well dumb F***in me! I should have looked at the GBATemp guide, they do have one. the FlashME website doesn't have it.

Jeda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hmm I don't want to tell you what to do with your DS, but even ignoring the risks of messing it up.... How long does it take to flash?!? Divide that by two second to get the number of times you need to start your DS before you are saving time.

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Never really needed to flash mine. I thought of it, but that was before that onslaught of slot-1 carts around the holidays 2006.

fyww611

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
some hardware's RAM can be protected with the using of flashme, recommended, and i ordered mine at digimartz.com for testing, confirmed the result. good choice.

shinji257

Trophies
Website
www.elite-systems.org
XP
Country
United States
I had someone flash one of my DS units with the no-autoboot flashme v8a. It was done to test to see if download play gets better or worse (which it doesn't either way) and to try and create backups of my nds carts. Now it is pretty much needed now that there is a utility that will allow that without needing to modify your ds.

DSGRIM

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i like flashme. I have a ds and a lite along with an R4 and a Supercard so its a great thing to have on my old DS.

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Well theres no need for flashing at all.
The R4 allready have 100% download play.
But the part with the force start that secures the DS from malware is the reason why i did install Flashme v8 No-autoboot
wink.gif

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes. Flashme was worth it for me because it prevents any malicious code from bricking my DS.
rofl2.gif

Besides, I need it to boot to my Supercard SD. I know my R4 has a built in nopass feature, but I can't access it without the MicroSD card inserted. I use the same MicroSD for my Supercard and R4, and it can't be in both devices at the same time.

shinji257

Trophies
Website
www.elite-systems.org
XP
Country
United States
Not necessarily as the power usage goes up and down. Watch the battery light when it gets low on power. It will flick from red to green and go between each other for a little before staying red. Usually when it is saving data to the card.

Using FlashME has 2 features and only 2 that are considered remotely useful
1) Protection against bricking. The unit has a failsafe that allows you to boot the system enough to run the flashme application and restore the flash.
2) Being able to boot slot-2 into nds mode.

Note that being able to create your own backups is no longer one of the reasons since a utility has been released that allows you to do that on an unmodified unit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol