R4 sdhc

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Artrigis, Jul 8, 2010.

Jul 8, 2010

R4 sdhc by Artrigis at 4:06 AM (944 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Artrigis
    OP

Newcomer Artrigis Advanced Member

United States
    Heya, first going to say that I am new to this whole R4 thing. Ive looked throughout the forums and I cant find the information I am looking for, so here I am posting [​IMG]
    I have a DS lite. I plan to buy an r4 card from a local seller in my area coupled with preloaded games on an sd card. There are two main sellers, one offers a R4 sdhc card, while the other offers the dstt card.
    I have spent today looking around for reviews, and have found that its actually pretty hard to get a lot of correct information on these cards.
    So which would you recommend to someone who does not plan on downloading any games, but just using the pre loaded games on the SD cards offered by my local sellers, the r4 sdhc or the dstt?

Also, I am concerned about "bricking" my DS lite. Would the r4 card simply brick my DS the very first time I tried to use it, or would it be possible to use the R4 card, then down the road a month later it suddenly be bricked?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

Edit: Also from what I have been able to find is that if a card is a fake, or a legit one, that it doesnt matter, and each one would work. Is this true, or would a fake have a great risk of bricking?

2. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    I'd say don't get either and buy an Acekard 2i from Shoptemp. The R4 SDHC is a fake, while the DSTT is on the endangered species list.

3. Artrigis
    OP

United States
    Wow fast replys here, wasnt expecting that [​IMG]
    to be honest, im too paranoid to want to buy my own card, even though I know it is the best way to go. Im not very tech savvy, and downloading my own games really just isnt realistic in my case.

Strictly given the choice between the two DSTT and R4 sdhc, would you reccomend that I get one over the other, or should I just forget the idea of getting an R4 card?

Also from what I have been able to find is that if a card is a fake, or a legit one, that it doesnt matter, and each one would work. Is this true, or would a fake have a great risk of bricking?

Thanks

4. Krestent

United States
    No card will brick, it's just that the manufacturer is very liable to stop supporting the R4. I'd say get the DSTT if you must choose one of the two.

5. Artrigis
    OP

United States
    Thanks again for the speedy reply and the advice.. well I guess I will think more on the acekard 2i
    However like I said this R4 thing is pretty new to me, is it really simple to configure my R4 card and to put games on it?

6. Krestent

United States
    Depends on which crappy R4 clone the guy is selling. But just take my advice and avoid the R4, it's more trouble than it's worth. By the way, how much is he charging for it? He's ripping you off if he's charging more than $20 for the card alone.

7. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    He's ripping you off period.

For $15USD you could get a far better card that supports SDHC and the DSi/DSiXL -- AceKard 2i
    For $6USD you could get a decent cheap card, no SDHC or DSi/DSiXL support -- R4 (true clone)

Of course, both of those will require you to buy a MicroSD (R4) or MicroSDHC (AceKard -- be sure to look for Class 6) card... but those are relatively inexpensive and both will offer -MUCH- better game compatibility via AKAIO (AceKard) or WoodR4 (R4).

There are a few R4SDHC cards... pretty much all of them are junk and quite outdated.
    The DSTT iswas decent, better compatibility than the R4SDHC most likely, but still outdated.

8. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    For those two carts Twiz mentioned, have a look at the guides in my sig.